User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 44.4K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The latter. Scream of the Shalka was a webanimation originally intended to be the future of the series before RTD screwed that up by bringing back the TV series and making Richard E Grant's Doctor non-canon.

• @Darth Marsden said: The latter. Scream of the Shalka was a webanimation originally intended to be the future of the series before RTD screwed that up by bringing back the TV series and making Richard E Grant's Doctor non-canon.

My intent was actually that it's the first story featuring the Ninth Doctor, not that it has the first Ninth Doctor (who we all know is Rowan Atkinson)

Also, fun-fact; Richard E. Grant's Doctor Who is exactly as canon as Rowan Atkinson's, Tom Baker's, and David Tennant's

• @Ribs said: Ooh, apparently Big Finish are announcing a range this Wednesday called "the Early Years"

This is now officially possibly-bad news. On the one hand, they are starting "Lost Stories"-format adventures - full-cast, but with a bit of narration as some actors are no longer with us - but on the other, it's the end of the Companion Chronicles.

(speculation now rife that they'll just go the whole hog and recast the first two Doctors. And whither the UNIT Family?)

• I think that if they recast the first three doctors for the TV anniversary, Big finish would probably find it apt to use them too. And seeing as the first doctor has already been recast for the DOCu-drama (geddit?) I think it's a possibility.

• @FitzoliverJ said: This is now officially possibly-bad news. On the one hand, they are starting "Lost Stories"-format adventures - full-cast, but with a bit of narration as some actors are no longer with us - but on the other, it's the end of the Companion Chronicles.

(speculation now rife that they'll just go the whole hog and recast the first two Doctors. And whither the UNIT Family?)

Yes, I'm taking it as bad news they've decided instead of two seperate ranges covering 8 doctors with ~16 releases a year total they've decided one range with four releases a year is an acceptable replacement.

The Companion Chronicles are the best range Big Finish produce. As such, it should not end simply because people refuse to accept a full cast can be/is actually a deterrent in some productions with regards to storytelling variety.

Big Finish apparently have a different plan for Doctor Who #3, though - maybe they'll just have The Adventures of UNIT Sans Doctor, featuring older versions of Yates, Benton, and Jo?

• I wonder if this is an economic thing. Big Finish seem to be slowly pushing its audience into making lump-sum purchases for box sets, which gives them the money upfront but which involves producing the same amount of material with fewer people.

In other news, somebody complained to the Beeb about the lack of "Doctor Who" this year -

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-responds-to-reduced-who-complaints-45230.htm

So, now it's official. If we don't get some proper celebrations we can complain about the Complaints department!

• 12 to collect!? Do they think I'm made of money?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@coolsome said: 12 to collect!? Do they think I'm made of money?

They might have been reading your posts in the "last thing you purchased" thread.

• There's already a conspiracy theory that the reason that focus of the final T-Shirt has not yet been revealed is because there will be a new Doctor by December....*

* if true, this is a bit of an own-goal on the part of the people who sign off on the merchandising....

Add Comment