User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Shadowknight1 said: Okay. Let's be perfectly freaking honest here. THE ENTIRE PREQUEL TRILOGY WAS PANDERING FAN SERVICE. Seriously. They were totally unnecessary to the continuation of the Star Wars name. And for that matter, so are the books, video games, comic books, card games, cartoons, ad nauseum. They're completely unnecessary and each addition has the potential to screw things up, no matter how good they are.

No, they were cash grabs aimed at the general public. Much worse, in my opinion, as this ultimately ended up appealing to no one.

• Well, I was surprised to find that if a fan editor does a good enough job, that the prequels actually have pretty good movies hiding behind all the whining, anachronisms, and poop jokes.

I've decided I actually like the prequels now. They just have to have been edited properly.

And before people point out that it's "not official" or legally-grey or something, I think it may have been Adywan (faneditor of Star Wars:Revisited) who said that a whole bunch of people at the production company have their fingers in the pot regarding how movies get edited before they are released. His saying so reminded me that there are at least two movies that I can think of right away (Paranormal Activity and The Lawnmower Man) whose "director's cut" I believe to be head and shoulders better than their theatrical releases.

The only real difference is that fan editors can't get paid for their work.

• It's not fanservice if I can't see Leia's titties.

• @Secret Fawful said: It's not fanservice if I can't see Leia's titties.

Ugh. You're making me think of them showing her saggy old lady boobs for Episode VII.

• @Chyron8472 said: Ugh. You're making me think of them showing her saggy old lady boobs for Episode VII.

tumblr_lxno5siWeS1qcnjyyo1_500.gif

• They have to at least have R2 in at least Revenge of the Sith or something. Because R2 said he used to belong to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Then again, old Ben never recognized R2 or the fact that he used to own a droid period. Maybe R2 just made it up to get them to find Obi Wan to deliver the message.

• @MusicallyInspired said: They have to at least have R2 in at least Revenge of the Sith or something. Because R2 said he used to belong to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Then again, old Ben never recognized R2 or the fact that he used to own a droid period. Maybe R2 just made it up to get them to find Obi Wan to deliver the message.

Obi never liked Droids so maybe he just forgot which one he owned.

• Still, the way they presented R2's relationship with Obi-Wan in the prequels, it'd be hard to forget him. Or at the very least, not recollect him.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Not to sound racist or whatever, but those droids all look alike to me.

• @MusicallyInspired said: They have to at least have R2 in at least Revenge of the Sith or something. Because R2 said he used to belong to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Then again, old Ben never recognized R2 or the fact that he used to own a droid period. Maybe R2 just made it up to get them to find Obi Wan to deliver the message.

I really wouldn't put it past R2 to do that. I mean, I'm certain that the reason he talks in bleeps and bloops in the first place is because he's constantly spewing profanities and making nasty comments about everyone and they would have had to bleep it out anyways. And I'm pretty sure he only keeps C3PO around to talk to people who don't speak droid. Lying to a human would probably barely register on his radar.

Add Comment