User Avatar Image

Fast or Slow Zombies?

posted by Wrighty on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

What do you guys prefer, fast sprinting infected which are like rabid animals, like in Dawn of the Dead remake and 24 days later OR slow moaning Romero style zombies like in Night of The Living Dead? Which are more interesting, more threatening, more scary and make for better movies?

For me while fast zombies are scarier and more of a threat, slow zombies are more interesting. Instead of actively tearing apart safe houses and eating survivors, slow zombies box survivors in their holes. I enjoy the phycological aspect of survivors trapped and food and water becoming issues, which is partly why I like Walking Dead so much. So what do you guys think. Fast or slow zombies?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hardly. Zombies, whether fast or slow, are basically still just people without the key thing that actually got us to the top of the food chain in the first place: intelligence and everything that flows from that, e.g. the ability to think, plan, and use tools.

Unless they are true Romero zombies. "slow" but also capable of 'evolving'. That is to say, if one zombie figures out how to 'open' a door, other zombies will learn from that zombies actions. In a monkey see, monkey do kind of way. Zombies in his movies have been using 'tools'/'weapons' starting with blunt objections, since the first movie, but got better at it with each additional movie, until the point some were using machine guns. By Land of the Dead, they were even being sent orders by an alpha zombie. Beyond that, it seems basic zombie is unintelligent, with the occasional one with slightly higher 'intelligence' if you can all it that. Still its more like animal instinct than human level of sapience.

• Hardly. Zombies, whether fast or slow, are basically still just people without the key thing that actually got us to the top of the food chain in the first place: intelligence and everything that flows from that, e.g. the ability to think, plan, and use tools.

Unless they are true Romero zombies. "slow" but also capable of 'evolving'. That is to say, if one zombie figures out how to 'open' a door, other zombies will learn from that zombies actions. In a monkey see, monkey do kind of way. Zombies in his movies have been using 'tools'/'weapons' starting with blunt objections, since the first movie, but got better at it with each additional movie, until the point some were using machine guns. By Land of the Dead, they were even being sent orders by an alpha zombie. Beyond that, it seems basic zombie is unintelligent, with the occasional one with slightly higher 'intelligence' if you can all it that. Still its more like animal instinct than human level of sapience.

• @BagginsKQ said: Unless they are true Romero zombies. "slow" but also capable of 'evolving'. That is to say, if one zombie figures out how to 'open' a door, other zombies will learn from that zombies actions. In a monkey see, monkey do kind of way. Zombies in his movies have been using 'tools'/'weapons' starting with blunt objections, since the first movie, but got better at it with each additional movie, until the point some were using machine guns. By Land of the Dead, they were even being sent orders by an alpha zombie. Beyond that, it seems basic zombie is unintelligent, with the occasional one with slightly higher 'intelligence' if you can all it that. Still its more like animal instinct than human level of sapience.

i think the idea of evolving zombies ruins zombies, and just turns them into durable idiots, i think they have to have the same intelligence level of bug or virus, because otherwise they aren't just a hoard of undead, they become individuals that can learn and adapt, that sort of turns them into a whole different kind of villain/enemy

• Bugs are smart, from an 'animal kingdom' perspective... Think hive mind... Bees, ants, termites. Those can be scary in their own way. They issue orders via pheramones, to others (but each one is capable of also sending out pheramone orders if they encounter things)...

Actually I think that's the way Romero kinda sees them. Alpha 'somewhat' smarter one that leads others, more mindless ones.

As for viruses and/or bacteria in real life they 'adapt'. If too virulent, they become weaker so as to not eliminate their prey (otherwise it die out, because it would run out of things to infect), and stronger if the prey becomes more resistant (it needs to be able to spread itself). That's not exactly 'mindless', although its not a good comparison to compare it 'smart or stupid' or a 'brain'.

Although kinda anticlimactic for a story, the Andromeda Strain explains this situation pretty good.

Of course this is zombie fiction, it rarey follows 'science', even if it tries to pull in a scientific explanation into the mix.

If it did, there would be certain amount of the population that would be immune. I suppose the Omega Man/I am Legend/Last Man on Earth and 28 Weeks Later takes that approach. The problem is those who are immune to the disease, are themselves still potential food for the 'zombies'/'vampires'/'mutants'... Which is why there are few survivors. Those one's won't rise in undeath, but just stay dead. They become a true minority. Then there is always the Typhoid Mary approach where someone is a carrier but shows no outward symptoms, and spreads the disease around unintentionally or intentionally (maybe airborne, or scratch, or bites someone like the women in 28 Weeks Later).

• Slow....I can have time to get away faster xD

• Slow. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is an example of filmmakers confusing one type of horror movie monster (the infected berserkers from 28 DAYS LATER) with another (the rotting ghouls from Romero's films).

As the body decays, it becomes less and less efficient as time goes on. The shambling movements of "classic" zombies simply makes more sense to me.

• Although Left 4 Dead and Quarantine did a great job of making fast zombies, I'll always like the slow zombies of The Walking Dead because they make the focus not so much on the zombies but on survival in a post apocalyptic world.

• User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Staff

I prefer slow. Slow zombies are deceptive in their level of danger.

• User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Staff

@ColtPeacemaker00 said: actually it was "send more paramedics". unless they used the same line and changed it to "cops" later in the flick.

That line killed me. My friends and I re-wound the movie to that line over and over again.

Man, what memories. Rewinding. What a world that was.

• Both Decomposing Victim-Slow/Fresh Victim-Fast

Add Comment