User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

378 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @hb02 said: I read through the 11page thread on the inverted issue, didn't see telltale reply.

Has there been an official statement from the company on this issue? Anything we can do to add it? :confused:

If you read through the thread, you'd know that you can apply a workaround to change your mouse universally. I don't think having a preference is weird, but you would probably get further without waiting for the official statement.

• @hb02 said:
    I have no interest if you think its weird that i need inverted. So don't start a flame war or argument over it. I've been playing inverted for THREE decades, and that's how my brain works. End of story.

THIS!

I've tried to contact Telltale for an answer on this via FB/Twitter, but there's been no response in two weeks.

I purchased all 5 episodes during the Xmas sale and have currently played as far as the car crash at the start of Ep1 because I can't enjoy the story when I'm constantly looking in the wrong direction.

I sincerely hope there is a patch for this and wanted to add my voice to this thread.

• @Master of Aeons said: If you read through the thread, you'd know that you can apply a workaround to change your mouse universally. I don't think having a preference is weird, but you would probably get further without waiting for the official statement.

Xbox360 user accounts have a universal preference setting for inverted/non-inverted vertical control. TWD completely ignores this.

Every other game I have ever played on the platform reads this setting and inverts the controls automatically or has a menu option for invert on/off.

• Yeah, I only mean for the PC people. For everyone else, you're just totally hosed.

• @Master of Aeons said: If you read through the thread, you'd know that you can apply a workaround to change your mouse universally. I don't think having a preference is weird, but you would probably get further without waiting for the official statement.

I have read through the thread. MS: microsoft. I bought it on xbox.

Ive gone through xbox via live chat and twitter. Both didn't help. Said the publisher meant for the game to lack this basic feature so they can't offer a refund as it works as it was intended...

I'm glad i only bought 1 episode. 5 dollars wasted better than 25.

• @hb02 said: I have read through the thread. MS: microsoft. I bought it on xbox.

Ive gone through xbox via live chat and twitter. Both didn't help. Said the publisher meant for the game to lack this basic feature so they can't offer a refund as it works as it was intended...

I'm glad i only bought 1 episode. 5 dollars wasted better than 25.

Oh, then just disregard everything I said. :/

• I was talking to a dev from another studio and he said its weird they didn't patch it because it takes few seconds to adjust the code and a couple minutes to adjust the UI. Seems like they are just flat out ignoring this issue.

• So I came by to see if this was fixed yet - any update? Saying "we deliberately intended to make this game impossible to control for a significant percentage of users" is the most retarded thing I ever heard.

Also if this is true - please come right here on your own forum and declare it openly.

• I use the "normal" controls, but I fully support inverted control as an option. The way I see it, the more people who can play the game means more money to make season 2. :)

• How could this have made game of the year? I cant invert Y axis I can not adjust to this type of control. I hate the people who made this game and I hope they get eaten by zombies. I wish I knew this before I bought episode 1. Im never buying anything by telltale games again because of this disrespectful slap in the face to gamers. So I would advise anyone who is thinking about buying this game to not waste your money unless you like playing without the Y axis flipped. telltale games, you are hence forth boycotted.

This discussion has been closed.