User Avatar Image

For those who chose Doug over Carley. Explain why.

posted by Abecedario on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

Well, it seems we are a small % of people who actually decided to help Doug instead of Carley. I mainly decided not to save her because she seemed to be the only one who knew about Lee being a murderer so I considered her a threat, I know many people decided to save her because she was "hot", but come on guys, she confessed she was in love with doug.

It seems I may have missed a nice character but Doug ended up being a really cool guy.

"Wait. I know you know everything about this flashlight, I mean if you know anything about how it got broken"

I am sure a similar thread has been created before, but come on, what else are we supposed to talk about while we wait? :D

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've played playthroughs with each of them and here is what I gather:

    Carley:
    You get to tell everyone about your past.
    Optional love interest.
    Knows of your past and isn't a total asshole.
    Can shoot.


    Doug:
    Friendly
    Funny
    Nerdy IT tech guy
    Dies a heroic death saving Ben, not even knowing if he was the traitor.


    They're both interesting people but ultimately I would choose Carley so I can reveal my past to people in Ep 3.

  • Doug never came off as a "nice guy" to me. Plain and simple. He was kind of a prick from the start and even after doing a Doug was saved playthrough I still felt that he was just downright abrasive. Having Carley be much more adept with weapons and with a deeper knowledge of Lee himself didn't help Doug's case either. In my initial playthrough it basically came down to the fact that Carley had a gun and if I was to save her then maybe she could shoot the Walkers attacking Doug. Of course, my initial impressions of the two characters played its part, but that was the major deciding factor. In a cast of awesome characters, Doug is just one that I can't bring myself to like.

  • I chose Doug during my first playthrough simply because he seemed like the less obvious choice at the time. I like being a little quirky that way. Judging from what most of the other players did, turns out I was right. :cool:

  • Bro's before Hoes. Enough said.

  • @Carson611 said: Bro's before Hoes. Enough said.


    The funny thing is even that excuse doesn't work. In episode one you don't get to know Doug enough that he becomes a bro, hell Carley was more of a bro than Doug at the end of episode one.

    The choice was so silly that my friend saved Doug only because they thought it was a Shawn / Duck situation where Carley always lives. She figured that was the case because Carley seemed infinitely more important than Doug.

  • @CarScar said: The choice was so silly that my friend saved Doug only because they thought it was a Shawn / Duck situation where Carley always lives. She figured that was the case because Carley seemed infinitely more important than Doug.



    Intelligence is a powerful thing... If it werent for doug, we wouldve never gotten the keys off of Lee's brother. Carley didnt know how batteries worked, if i remember correctly? sure, you can argue that without a gunman that you would be dead. However, that arguement overlooks how handy knowledge can be in sticky situations, such as putting a pillow in front of a gun, or using spark plugs to break glass. (and thats just examples from episode one alone). it all depends on how you want to face the apocalypse. With either brains or bullets at your disposal.

    and yes, doug and i were bros. how can one forget all those times we kicked it old school outside the pharmacy doors. me and doug are bros for life, aka episode 1 to 3

  • @CarScar said: The funny thing is even that excuse doesn't work. In episode one you don't get to know Doug enough that he becomes a bro, hell Carley was more of a bro than Doug at the end of episode one.



    Very well said. I really don't get people who try to pull the "bros before hoes" line like it's some cool macho thing to say.

    Let's think about what Carley did before the decision point... she saves you and your companions outside the pharmacy, she saves you again (or saves Clem) from the walker inside the bathroom, she keeps your secret so you can stay in the pharmacy, and she goes out with you to rescue Glenn.

    Now, what exactly did Doug do for you before the decision point that makes him a "bro"?

  • @double_u said: Now, what exactly did Doug do for you before the decision point that makes him a "bro"?



    im pretty sure larry and lily would still be laying in the corner of the pharmacy without doug . . .

  • @Carson611 said: im pretty sure larry and lily would still be laying in the corner of the pharmacy without doug . . .



    Sure, whatever fits your definition of a "bro." Turning on a TV to distract walkers to save two people who wanted to leave Lee and his friends to die, for most people, tends to fail as a bonding mechanism when compared to a person who saved the lives of Lee and his friends.

  • @Carson611 said: Intelligence is a powerful thing... If it werent for doug, we wouldve never gotten the keys off of Lee's brother. Carley didnt know how batteries worked, if i remember correctly? sure, you can argue that without a gunman that you would be dead. However, that arguement overlooks how handy knowledge can be in sticky situations, such as putting a pillow in front of a gun, or using spark plugs to break glass. (and thats just examples from episode one alone). it all depends on how you want to face the apocalypse. With either brains or bullets at your disposal.


    Aside from Carley's unfortunate display of battery skill, which could just be chalked off as Telltale making an easy puzzle for players at the expense of her, she has been shown to be quite intelligent. Much more intelligent than Doug, street-wise. And yes you predicted it but without Carley, the "gunman", Lee, Kenny, Katjaa, and Clementine would be dead. Without Doug, Larry, the resident dick, would have died... Hm, which is more impressive? Yes knowledge is useful, but literally the only thing Doug showed in episode one is that he can work a remote. Woooow. I'm sorry but Doug's expertise of the old world techs. (e.g. electronics) isn't enough for me to save him, and I really don't understand said argument. Even in subsequent episodes Doug didn't really step up, in my opinion.

    I know it's not really much of an argument but Doug would have wanted you to save Carley because that's the kind of guy he is. And I respected him enough to give him said wish. :cool:
    and yes, doug and i were bros. how can one forget all those times we kicked it old school outside the pharmacy doors. me and doug are bros for life, aka episode 1 to 3
    All I remember from that moment was him telling me thought Carley was nice / Larry was a dick and that he yelled at me to "hurry up" when I was dealing with my bro. :cool:

Add Comment