User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Not entirely correct, Replay do want to make new games but at the moment they only have the license to remake the previous Larry games. They are intending (so they say) to redo all 7 games and then make the all new Larry 8 Lust in Space.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd be quite interested to see what Replay could come up with for KQ if they were so inclined.

• @BagginsKQ said: Actually only two years ago on the 17th of this month. Do you have a problem with simple math?

It will be three years next february (2014).

Yes, Baggins. You should see me shop. I get excited every time I check out because I spend WAY less than I thought I was.

Bt

• @MtnPeak said: I think Replay Games is going to end up doing a new King's Quest.

They got Leisure Suit Larry,...

LSL is not owned by ActiVision, that's the only reason.

...and I think they will be working with Mark Crowe on a new game in the near future. Based on a recent Josh Mandel comment on Kickstarter, some have speculated that Mark Crowe is doing the Larry Reloaded box cover art and logo, and that Crowe (and Scott Murphy?) will probably have more involvement with Replay in the future.

Can you provide a source for this? I can't find any evidence anywhere that Mark Crowe was involved with anything nor info that they will be working with the Two Guys in any capacity.

I would welcome a KQ from Replay, since at least they love the original series and understand adventure gaming.

We don't even know what Replay is capable of. They have yet to complete a project. Granted, they have Al and Josh, but they're working on their own element: Leisure Suit Larry. Yes Josh redesigned KQ1SCI (quite well), but that doesn't say anything for the rest of the team. Still, nothing wrong with being optimistic, I guess. But let's at least see how LSL Reloaded fares first. Besides, I doubt they'll ever pry the KQ license from ActiVision's iron-tight grip.

@MtnPeak said: Telltale's apparent philosophy is to reject much of what actually makes adventure games adventure games. It is time to stop calling Telltale an adventure game developer. We should call Telltale what they are: an interactive movie factory whose management has explicitly rejected the idea of challenging puzzles and of giving the player the freedom to explore.

Nobody (important) has been calling Telltale an adventure game developer for a long time now. Not even themselves. Dan has even gone on record to say "...the genre (adventure) doesn't need us anymore."

• @MusicallyInspired said: Nobody (important) has been calling Telltale an adventure game developer for a long time now. Not even themselves. Dan has even gone on record to say "...the genre (adventure) doesn't need us anymore."

Nice disclaimer there. Makes it easy to dismiss anyone who disagrees with your views.

• ""...the genre (adventure) doesn't need us anymore."

However in context he was discussing how glad he was to see that there were other companies starting to bring Adventure games back to life, and popularity. So that Telltale doesn't have to be the only ones. He mentioned a few examples of games by other developers.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Besides, I doubt [Replay Games]'ll ever pry the KQ license from ActiVision's iron-tight grip.

TTG did. They didn't do anything with it, but they still got the license.

• It seems they probably paid alot for that option... As that was Activison's only prerequisite.

• @Vainamoinen said: You. What are you doing here. Beta. Now.

https://beta.telltalegames.com/

@Vainamoinen said: That clinches it for King's Quest. It's not on the community section.

https://beta.telltalegames.com/community/

TTG's KQ is officially dead in the water.

EDIT: Nevermind. Marsden says they just haven't finished the logo yet.

https://beta.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/30/where-is-kings-quest

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: TTG's KQ is officially dead in the water.

Did you just quote yourself to prove that something is official? :D

This discussion has been closed.