263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Kickstarter do give a range of option regarding e-mail updates from none to all or just a selected number of projects.

• I know. I've just been too lazy/busy to mess with it yet.

• What I love most about the Larry Reloaded game is that it will be seen by so many more new people, especially younger players. (But hopefully not too young, given the mature subject matter and nudity, which this game will have. Hehe.) Most people under a certain age would never consider downloading or playing a game with blocky, low res graphics, so it is great that this new game will have all new graphics and will be available on multiple platforms. Classic adventure series like this one live on, in a way, only so far as there are still new people playing them. This new Larry game will expand the fan base, and is not meant to merely give existing, nostalgic Larry fans a warm and fuzzy feeling, though it should do that too.

• @exo said: Stop for a moment and consider game remakes as a "genre". Now, are there any that come to mind where people liked them better than the original?

I mean... we have mostly all played the original LSL here, right? We know what to expect. We know the puzzles. We know the jokes. So many of us will go into the game with two things on our minds.

1: How does this compare to original?
    2: Does the new content fit in the game?

The rules of nostalgia dictate that the older game goes into the comparison with a distinct advantage.

That said, I have *never* heard anyone play a remake and call it "an amazing game". It has to fight the up hill battle of familiarity (how amazing can a game be that you have already played before) and nostalgia (the game has to be different enough to be a remake without being so different it alienates the original fans).

I'm not sure that I would believe that sales of the old games would affect the remake. When VU first released the packs of remakes, the informal stats I saw where that sales were predominately driven by people who had played them before, and wanted to play them again on modern systems, but either lacked the knowledge of setting up dosbox, no longer had the games, or just hadn't cared enough to look into it before seeing a packaged version on the shelf.

personally, I did not run across any forum posts or conversations where someone said they had just discovered these games due to them being available again... although I am sure there were some of them out there, I do believe it was a minority of the overall purchases.

Also, I'm not sure how many gog users aren't familiar with these older games.... when the basis of what you sell is old games, your primary consumer base is going to be people who enjoy older games. I tend to wonder how many people stumbled across gog, and then stumbled across larry, and then said - sure, I'll give that a shot.

I definitely prefer playing the King's Quest remake to the original. lol.

• Awesome. I kind of regret not pledging $25 more now.

• How nice is it that (for the first time ever?) you get a look 'behind the scenes' how an adventure game is coming to life bit by bit?!

• @barchetta said: How nice is it that (for the first time ever?) you get a look 'behind the scenes' how an adventure game is coming to life bit by bit?!

It's cool, but of all the adventure game kickstarters I've backed Double Fine Adventure gives you a far better look at it than anything else. Granted updates have been a bit slow lately with Amnesia Fortnight and the Minecraft documentary, but still.

• Absolutely. DFA's ongoing video documentary has been more illuminating than any other method I know. It's half of the appeal of the whole project.

Add Comment