User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Marsden is messing with you.

Bt

• If they're not going to put it on the community page so people can talk about it, that means they don't want people to talk about it because they've dropped the project.

That makes it official.

• @corruptbiggins said: Nice disclaimer there. Makes it easy to dismiss anyone who disagrees with your views.

Come on, now. I add myself into that category. I'm talking about organizations, press, etc. Not average Joes like us.

@corruptbiggins said: TTG did. They didn't do anything with it, but they still got the license.

That was before when they were (somewhat) willing to license it. Since then they've denied everybody and keep saying they have their own plans.

Regarding the new website and forums (or whatever they're supposed to be), that's a nice elegant way of removing KQ from the public eye without removing the discussions here. "Oh, we're making a new website anyway." I hope they at least give some kind of PR statement about why they aren't doing it anymore. I want to hear it....er...read it.

• There are probably alot of things that they haven't announced that aren't on the community pages...

Like they mentioned in the latest interview they are working on many projects outside of the scope of Fables and Walking Dead. The company is growing, not remaining as a 'two game' a year entity. In the future they may release more games at the same time.

In no way does this mean that KQ is still in development or not. It just means we know next to nothing about what Telltale is making currently.

Also I think they did the same thing they did with the community site that they did with the main website! As I mentioned in the timeline, within days of announccing King's Quest, they released really basic sites for Walking Dead, and Fables, but nothing for King's Quest.

Since they didn't design anything for King's Quest back then, they still haven't designed anything for the beta community site either. This was especially because they had no plans to tackle King's Quest until after Walking Dead was released, and releasing it after Fables apparently. So it was always 'far off in future'.

About the only King's Quest related webthingy they even put up, was this forum... Which if the new site is any indication they are 'taking away'?

Also of note, they apparently only started putting the development team for KQ together 9 months ago (according to Connors). How long does it generally take Taletale to produce a game? It took Walking Dead what almost two years (did they start production on it before its announcement)?

Did they put together a team, only for that team to be disbanded shortly after?

• Regarding the new website and forums (or whatever they're supposed to be), that's a nice elegant way of removing KQ from the public eye without removing the discussions here. "Oh, we're making a new website anyway." I hope they at least give some kind of PR statement about why they aren't doing it anymore. I want to hear it....er...read it.

Ok, the king's quest forum is a hidden link... It's just not useable yet, as a forum...

https://beta.telltalegames.com/community/categories/kingsquest

Edit: It works too! So its a hidden community with no direct links to it yet.

https://beta.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/34/hi-its-good-to-see-kings-quest

BTW, King's Graham's father's rules prove to be helpful yet again (you must know how to think outside of the box, and look for answers to obtuse puzzles);

"Boy if I have learned anything in my life, I have learned this: When in doubt, or in trouble, pick up anything that is not nailed down, and if it is, look for loose nails or boards. Check carefully into, under, above, below, and behind things. Read everything; you might learn something. Wear clean undergarments, brush after meals, and always remember: nothing is as it appears."-Sir Hereward.

• We have to go deeper...

• Once you look into the abyss you go insane (or you meet Lucreto, but whatever)!

It's certainly enough to drive Blackthorne to binge drinking....

• MusicallyInspired wrote:
    Can you provide a source for this? I can't find any evidence anywhere that Mark Crowe was involved with anything nor info that they will be working with the Two Guys in any capacity.

This is what Josh Mandel wrote in response to the criticism of the Larry Reloaded logo:
    Actually, guys, we're only selling this digitally. The box that we're creating is strictly for collectors! Nobody will be buying (or not buying) the game based on the box (or the logo).
    That said, we may indeed go into stores if such an agreement can be reached, but, if so, the box will probably have to be be redesigned by the publisher. We very specifically designed the box to be free of the usual clutter so that it could be a real collector's piece. And the artist who did the logo, and is doing the box as well, is one of Sierra's finest and most revered (ex-)artists. You would instantly recognize the artist's name, but we're contractually obligated not to reveal it currently. (grrrrrrrr)
    There was speculation on the forum that the artist was Mark Crowe, who had done one of the original Larry box covers. So, yeah, nothing solid.

Ok, so I am very confused now. Can someone please explain to me the significance of this King's Quest Beta forum? Why and when was this set up? And who found this and brought it to our attention now?

• Telltale is changing their website. They put up a beta website including what will be the new forums. It's a work in progress.

No one could find a direct link to king's quest in the forums. With a little bit of experimenting I discovered that the beta KQ forum exists. More information in the timeline thread.

• @BagginsKQ said: No one could find a direct link to king's quest in the forums. With a little bit of experimenting I discovered that the beta KQ forum exists. More information in the timeline thread.

Thank you for all you do to help keep the KQ fan community informed about KQ-related news. You really are a great asset to the community, so please don't ever stop!

Even though I am against the idea of a KQ interactive movie from Telltale, I am starting to feel a little excited about the fact that there really might be a new KQ anything. Maybe Telltale really can deliver something good? I will try to have an open mind.

This discussion has been closed.