User Avatar Image

For those who chose Doug over Carley. Explain why.

posted by Abecedario on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

Well, it seems we are a small % of people who actually decided to help Doug instead of Carley. I mainly decided not to save her because she seemed to be the only one who knew about Lee being a murderer so I considered her a threat, I know many people decided to save her because she was "hot", but come on guys, she confessed she was in love with doug.

It seems I may have missed a nice character but Doug ended up being a really cool guy.

"Wait. I know you know everything about this flashlight, I mean if you know anything about how it got broken"

I am sure a similar thread has been created before, but come on, what else are we supposed to talk about while we wait? :D

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @CarScar said: Aside from Carley's unfortunate display of battery skill, which could just be chalked off as Telltale making an easy puzzle for players at the expense of her, she has been shown to be quite intelligent. Much more intelligent than Doug, street-wise. And yes you predicted it but without Carley, the "gunman", Lee, Kenny, Katjaa, and Clementine would be dead. Without Doug, Larry, the resident dick, would have died... Hm, which is more impressive? Yes knowledge is useful, but literally the only thing Doug showed in episode one is that he can work a remote. Woooow. I'm sorry but Doug's expertise of the old world techs. (e.g. electronics) isn't enough for me to save him, and I really don't understand said argument. Even in subsequent episodes Doug didn't really step up, in my opinion.

I know it's not really much of an argument but Doug would have wanted you to save Carley because that's the kind of guy he is. And I respected him enough to give him said wish. :cool:

All I remember from that moment was him telling me thought Carley was nice / Larry was a dick and that he yelled at me to "hurry up" when I was dealing with my bro. :cool:

Duck was (arguably) the only one who was going to get bitten. which, after what happened back at farm, wouldnt have made me give even the slightest fuck at watching kens whole family be taken down. yes, carley may have given you good emotional advice, but she WAS NOT smarter than doug. When you told her to follow you in the pillow&gun scene, she just looks at you and says why. and dougs trap in episode two was awesome. you stopped the st. johns WAY up the road before they were literally a couple feet outside your front door. The wires were even attached to different bells to section it off. intelligence, my friend. are you starting to see where im coming from?

when two dudes sit outside and talk about women they like, theyre fuckin bros. oh, and Too bad you never told him that that was your brother. From his perspective, you were talking to a random zombie.

EDIT: how is shining a laser pointer into andy st. johns eye NOT stepping up? that shit was rad, and it definately saved my life.. it made me laugh out loud too.

• @Carson611 said: Duck was (arguably) the only one who was going to get bitten. which, after what happened back at farm, wouldnt have made me give even the slightest fuck at watching kens whole family be taken down. yes, carley may have given you good emotional advice, but she WAS NOT smarter than doug. When you told her to follow you in the pillow&gun scene, she just looks at you and says why. and dougs trap in episode two was awesome. you stopped the st. johns WAY up the road before they were literally a couple feet outside your front door. The wires were even attached to different bells to section it off. intelligence, my friend. are you starting to see where im coming from?

when two dudes sit outside and talk about women they like, theyre fuckin bros. oh, and Too bad you never told him that that was your brother. From his perspective, you were talking to a random zombie.

EDIT: how is shining a laser pointer into andy st. johns eye NOT stepping up? that shit was rad, and it definately saved my life.. it made me laugh out loud too.

I think you mean ingenuity rather than intelligence, That is something Doug had that Carley didn't really (although IIRC he was just as clueless about the TVs until you spelled it out as Carley was with the pillow), but i would necessarily say he's more intelligent, because thats quite a loose concept, Carleys knowledge on social situation like your secret and the group politics is just as valid a show of intelligence as Doug's technical knowledge.

Tbh though i don't see why we have to be so divided on this, the whole scene at the pharmacy is about having to leave a good friend behind.

• @Carson611 said: Duck was (arguably) the only one who was going to get bitten. which, after what happened back at farm, wouldnt have made me give even the slightest fuck at watching kens whole family be taken down.

That is awfully cruel of you haha. And no, Carley saved everyone there.

'We're trapped!"
    "We would have died out there!"

And least we forget, she later saves Clementine or Lee again (depending on your actions).
    yes, carley may have given you good emotional advice, but she WAS NOT smarter than doug. When you told her to follow you in the pillow&gun scene, she just looks at you and says why. and dougs trap in episode two was awesome. you stopped the st. johns WAY up the road before they were literally a couple feet outside your front door. The wires were even attached to different bells to section it off. intelligence, my friend. are you starting to see where im coming from?
    Obviously, overall, Doug is smarter than Carley. Although Carley is smart in different ways, she's more street smart (or in your words, good at emotional advice). I really don't blame her for not seeing the pillow trick... that shit was just unrealistic, and Lee pretty much put her on the spot ("pull out your gun", "lul wut Lee?"). It wasn't even a trap, it was an alarm. Alarm in a zombie apocalypse where there main trait is being attracted by noise is... not a good idea? I don't know. Honestly Doug vs. Carley boils down to, in the later episodes, is if you want a love interest / the chance to tell others about your past vs. ... an alarm? Everything else Doug presents is displayed through Carley well enough (or am I seeing this through rose-tinted glasses?).

They shared one line over a woman, haha. And that just relates to what Doug would have wanted, he wants you to save Carley and not himself. That's honestly my favorite quality in Doug, he's selfless. It sucks I showed my respect for said quality by letting him die, but you know.

It wasn't even that, he YELLED when like twenty walkers were right beside us. He could have easily made the walkers detect us. Similarly, albeit he was unaware, he interrupted a very touching moment.
    I thought it was just stupid. He can aim a laser pointer from that distance, but can't shoot a gun reliably? What the...? It was pretty rad though I guess, too bad he couldn't save you from either Travis or Mr. Parker earlier in the episode... Like Carley could. Meh though.

• Problem is, Carley's path opens up an additional subplot that I enjoy, where Lee is talked into revealing his past to the rest of the group. If Telltale really wants to understand why the majority of players pick Carley over Doug, it isn't just because she's a "pretty girl with a gun". She also delivers more "oomph" to the story than Doug, IMO.

• @Robert Morgan said: Problem is, Carley's path opens up an additional subplot that I enjoy, where Lee is talked into revealing his past to the rest of the group. If Telltale really wants to understand why the majority of players pick Carley over Doug, it isn't just because she's a "pretty girl with a gun". She also delivers more "oomph" to the story than Doug, IMO.

The thing is, even in episode one it was just such an easy choice. There was literally no temptation to save Doug. I mean if it were real life who would you save and be more appreciated of: someone who saved your life multiple times or someone who... got a remote working? I'm sorry for saying this but it just seems unrealistic to save Doug. I know I don't really have the right to say that, especially considering my avatar and sig (Carley fan, kind of) but, I mean, just come on. :rolleyes:

• @CarScar said: The thing is, even in episode one it was just such an easy choice. There was literally no temptation to save Doug. I mean if it were real life who would you save and be more appreciated of: someone who saved your life multiple times or someone who... got a remote working? I'm sorry for saying this but it just seems unrealistic to save Doug. I know I don't really have the right to say that, especially considering my avatar and sig (Carley fan, kind of) but, I mean, just come on. :rolleyes:

CarScar, you are absolutely right. In my first play through, when it came to the decision point, the first thought that quickly entered my mind was "I owe her." So that's why I saved Carley because she saved my ass. I would do the same in real life.

I might still feel down for having to let another die, but it's a type of guilt that won't last long considering this person was basically a stranger who did little for me. On the other hand I would definitely feel guilty probably for the rest of my life for letting someone who saved me and develop some rapport with die.

• I chose Doug because I didn't see Carley as valuable (having said that, my hubby chose to save Carley because she had already proven to be a great shot). Doug had smarts and tech abilities. I thought about the fact that he might be able to rig up some sort of power system when/if the lights went out. (LOVED the alarm system he set up)!
    He seemed like a better person, a more interesting person. Carley seemed... eh. :P lol I do like her, too, don't get me wrong, just preferred Doug.

• Carley could have just stomped on the head of the lone zombie that was grabbing her ankle at arms length.

Doug needed more immediate assistance.

Also lol'ing at people saying they saved Carley for any other reason than her rack. Maybe the firearm, but I bet if Doug was head shotting zombies left, right and center the stats would still show that the vast majority saved her. Look at the massive outcry when she died for pities sake, I certainly doubt it's because they missed her glock.

400774sw53.gif

• @Arbitrator said: Carley could have just stomped on the head of the lone zombie that was grabbing her ankle at arms length.

Also lol'ing at people saying they saved Carley for any other reason than her rack. Maybe the firearm, but I bet if Doug was head shotting zombies left, right and center the stats would still show that the vast majority saved her. Look at the massive outcry when she died for pities sake, I certainly doubt it's because they missed her glock.

Im not going to deny that was probably a factor for many and maybe it was subconsciously for me too who knows, but to make out like that's the only reason to like her character or mourn her death is far more laughable.

I do agree though that Doug deserved more love.

• @Arbitrator said: Carley could have just stomped on the head of the lone zombie that was grabbing her ankle at arms length.

Also lol'ing at people saying they saved Carley for any other reason than her rack. Maybe the firearm, but I bet if Doug was head shotting zombies left, right and center the stats would still show that the vast majority saved her. Look at the massive outcry when she died for pities sake, I certainly doubt it's because they missed her.

What I don't understand is why is it so strange that people saved Carley because, yah know, she actually had screen time. Doug had like two minutes of screen time.

Also I know Carley could have pistol whipped the zombie, but Doug's the one that put his back to a window that was being attacked by a group of walkers. His back, the most vulnerable part of his body.

Add Comment