User Avatar Image

TWD: Stuttering/lag (Disc version)

posted by Teege on - last edited - Viewed by 7.9K users

I bought all the episodes off psn but i wanted a disc version too share with friends. I tried playing through episode 1 off disc and encountered some rather off putting lag, and in some cases i would miss opportunities speak. I missed one speaking prompt and now clementine thinks i think shes dumb, which frankly broke my heart. In a game that hinges such prompts and quick input such lag can be a killer. I get some issues slip through the cracks but theres gotta be some solution to this right?

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi All,

First post. Got the game as a birthday gift. PS3Slim, 160G Version.

Here is a video I captured on my phone of the game play. Let me know if this is suppose to be normal? I've already had a few times where the game would lag/jitter, then when I get control again the timing bar either expired or was half way gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xUl7OlBro
    Episode 1, at pharmacy scrambling to get away.
    Note...go to about 0:50secs of the video, and watch Lee's interaction with Doug and Carley. Notice the lag after I first try to close the door shut. I input, no animation, then sound happens, then animation occurs. Same with the conversation with Doug and Carley afterwards where Carley shoots her gun.

Apologize for the quality, apparently I had autofocus on, so it keeps focusing in and out a bit.

I have never played any other version of this game (PC/360/PSN) so this only version I know of. If this is suppose to be the general experience...it is unfortunately not a very good one. Whatever immersion or suspense I am suppose to have for this game gets immediately remove when the game lags like this...and this occurs through out episode 1.

Regards,
    mwc

• This is almost exactly where the lag first started for me as well. By the time the episode was wrapping up at the motel, I would hear questions being asked of Lee and had to guess at responses before the camera even cut to that question's camera angle and presented the HUD for answering. After extensive system maintenance, it did not perform significantly better, and Ep. 2 is still nigh unplayable.

Has anyone here had these issues with the digital copy? Additionally, does anyone here have both the digital and physical copy? I personally am wondering if the disc copy is the same title ID. If it is, it probably means there is very little (if any) additional code to handle the different ways they'd cache data.
    Last I checked, I didn't think that MS or Sony would allow a title to submit under two different forms of media without resubmitting for TCR/TRC testing (hell, there's stuff they check on a physical game they never think about looking at for digital, and vice versa,) but who knows.
    I just hope this gets straightened out soon. I look forward to playing, and honestly don't really consider what I paid $30 for to be a working product. Extremely disappointed.

@manwithcleaver said: Hi All,

First post. Got the game as a birthday gift. PS3Slim, 160G Version.

Here is a video I captured on my phone of the game play. Let me know if this is suppose to be normal? I've already had a few times where the game would lag/jitter, then when I get control again the timing bar either expired or was half way gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xUl7OlBro
    Episode 1, at pharmacy scrambling to get away.
    Note...go to about 0:50secs of the video, and watch Lee's interaction with Doug and Carley. Notice the lag after I first try to close the door shut. I input, no animation, then sound happens, then animation occurs. Same with the conversation with Doug and Carley afterwards where Carley shoots her gun.

Apologize for the quality, apparently I had autofocus on, so it keeps focusing in and out a bit.

I have never played any other version of this game (PC/360/PSN) so this only version I know of. If this is suppose to be the general experience...it is unfortunately not a very good one. Whatever immersion or suspense I am suppose to have for this game gets immediately remove when the game lags like this...and this occurs through out episode 1.

Regards,
    mwc

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

It appears some users have had success Restoring the File System as well as the Database, and removing their dynamic themes. There is also a possibility that the disc could be a bad burn, but only exchanging it for another copy could confirm this.

Has anyone had the chance to exchange their disc for another copy and if so, does that disc lag as well? Also, has anyone had the chance to play the disc on another PS3 to see if the lag is limited to their system?

• Signed just to join the group of people with stuttering/lag problem.

My PS3 is a 6 month old slim model with 160 GB. I bought the game yesterday and everything was ok until the ending part of the chapter 1, when the stuttering, audio-desync and lag began.

Since the game is based on the time of response to the actions, it's impossible to play this way.

I just wish that a patch dont take too long to be released, so i can back to play the game again.

• I just upgraded my PS3 Slim HDD and I am still getting lag/stutter/chug in the same parts listed in the video posted above:

@manwithcleaver said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xUl7OlBro

At least patch it so that users can install the entire game to the HDD or get a digital copy since the disc version seems so flawed for some odd reason. Maybe that would improve the performance? Never know...

• Lurked for a bit but also registered because of this problem so that the team can hopefully figure that this is likely a widespread problem. I love this game and it would be perfect if this issue weren't bogging down my experience of it.

Does anyone have a workaround for this yet? Is a patch being worked on?

• ok, as you asked Matt, I tried my disc on a friend ps3.
    The problem persists. So if the problem is the disk and not my ps3, well...
    it seems lots of your disks are broken. Anybody else can confirm and test his disk on another system?

• Hi MattP,

I also has the same stuttering on my disc even after restoring the system and changing the dynamic theme. I appreciate all your helps and suggestion, but I think the main problem here, as for as I know, is that the disc version is definitely very laggy in any case, especially when comparing with the download version. After checking numerous forums and sites, I concluded that everyone who got the disc shares the same problem! (anyone who found the disc ver. playing smoothly please correct me).

So, it is very understandable, that we what a function to install the game into harddisk, at least to make the game as playable as a download ver. (which is even cheaper). I really like your games, but if these kind of problems still persist, I guess I have to sell the disc and never turn back.

Cheers,

• Sorry for a lot of typos. I think I really upset, sigh...

• So I did have a dynamic theme enabled and tried to play it again with the dynamic theme turned off and all theme options set to the default settings. The same issues were still very present at the end of act 1 in the pharmacy and beginning of act two. The previous posters video (the one with the auto focus thing) is a perfect reprensentation of what is happening. This is my 3rd playthrough (yes, i like the game that much) and every time the same damn thing occurs. It does happen on another ps3 (new slim 500gb version) that i tested on as well as mine. Since there are so many other users with the same problem and its been so long, i have not gone back to try and exchange the disc at my retailer (i also dont have the receipt any longer). My ps3 details are as follows:

Slim PS3 / model CECH-2001B / 250gb hdd (unchanged and not replaced) / system software version 4.31 (as of 2-28-2013) / purchased on 1-7-2010 from a Target store.

No other game or disc has ever had issues running with my dynamic theme installed and no bluray discs have had problems with playback. This one however is still having major difficulties at the spots reported (reported by multiple people).

I thank you for your continued followup on this, but shouldnt a game run ok regardless of the os theme or a drive being defragmented? I am trying the steps listed and removing my themes i payed to use but still experiencing issue. Again i dont wish to sound rude at all but it seems this has been reported enough to warrant some more thorough investigation from the team. Well let us know, and if i decide to attempt a playthrough again ill see if i cant get some form of video.

Add Comment