1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It occurs to me that there is many a game which is probably far less requested than System Shock 2, which cost more to buy either now or when they were first released (or both).

So I don't see what the problem is with asking people to pay 10 bucks for a fantastic game.

It's 10 bucks. 10 bucks is nothing.

• I know, I know. But some people... they're not convinced it's worth it. And who are we to say they're wrong?

...well, we're smarter than they are, obviously. :p

• By that standard, no older games downloadable on consoles/tablets is worth 10 bucks.

Oh wait. Being that they're on consoles, they have some form of DRM on them, don't they? So that makes them worthless too, I guess.

My point is not to belittle. My point is to point out the silliness of complaining about not wanting to pay 10 bucks.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: By that standard, no older games downloadable on consoles/tablets is worth 10 bucks.

Depends on what has to be done with the game to get it running on tablets. But in principle, yeah. Games from the last century should be considerably less than 10 bucks, just as books or movies from that era should be accessible with a similarly reasonable price tag. The actual makers of said games have long ceased to make money out of them anyway.

• @Vainamoinen said: Depends on what has to be done with the game to get it running on tablets. But in principle, yeah. Games from the last century should be considerably less than 10 bucks, just as books or movies from that era should be accessible with a similarly reasonable price tag. The actual makers of said games have long ceased to make money out of them anyway.

Define "last century." I wouldn't expect them to charge as much for, say, Zork or King's Quest 1 than for System Shock 2.

SS2 was released in 1999. not 1985.

• Also, the thing's been held up in legal red tape for YEARS. Sorting all that out can't have been cheap.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: Define "last century."

1900 - 1999. Thank you, thank you.

• So then if games from 1999 are $5 or so, then games from 1990 are worth $1.50?

This all despite the fact that these old games are still almost certainly playable right out of the box, come with extra pdf manuals and soundtracks, have no DRM, and free you from the need to keep up with any discs in order to play them?

Not to mention that without GOG, these games are obscure, expensive, and often hard to find reasonably priced legit copies of, (while still requiring the disc inserted to play.)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: My point is not to belittle. My point is to point out the silliness of complaining about not wanting to pay 10 bucks.

In my case, it's simply because it's in a genre I usually don't play, so I'm not sure if it will be worth the price to me (for instance, Waxworks was a game that looked interesting, but that I didn't like too much because of it's gameplay (the atmosphere was great though). I paid $5, so I don't feel like I wasted my money. I most likely would have if I paid $10).

• That's the case where they might could do with some sort of playable demo or trial version of games.

But then trial versions might end up being full versions with time limits, which means DRM, so that idea is out.

Add Comment