User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Riadon said: The Walking Dead was Telltale's first attempt at a story with branching arches. You saw the length of the credits, and the budget wasn't exactly "AAA". Coupled with their inexperience in "tailored" games, this limited what they could do with the game. Still, the game did a lot better at tailoring than some other games, and the writing and voice-acting was great.

Expect to see a lot more "tailoring" going on in the second season. Telltale is now a lot more experienced in the area and the commercial success of the game will help to justify a higher budget and a larger team.

I'd like to see something like The Witcher 2, where a single decision made in the first chapter will completely change the location of the 2nd chapter (roughly 15 hours), along with the quests and your alliances. You could really feel the impact of choices, and it felt good.

The problem with that is that basically means that they have to make 2 games resulting in double the time between episodes, double the costs

It makes things too complicated for a smaller business like Telltale

I do like games like the Witcher 2 and I do like big decisions and choices but not if they are so costly and time consuming and personally would rather their resources to be more divided to allow for other series to continue instead of recquiring double the actors and maps etc

I'd rather them spend time on Sam and Max season 4 as well...

• @Hudomonkey said: The problem with that is that basically means that they have to make 2 games resulting in double the time between episodes, double the costs

It makes things too complicated for a smaller business like Telltale

I do like games like the Witcher 2 and I do like big decisions and choices but not if they are so costly and time consuming and personally would rather their resources to be more divided to allow for other series to continue instead of recquiring double the actors and maps etc

I'd rather them spend time on Sam and Max season 4 as well...

I'm not really expecting the game to take decision making to the same level as The Witcher 2, I just used it as an example of a game with meaningful choices. It would not be impossible, though, CDProjekt created a new engine for The Witcher 2 along with state-of-the-art assets and graphical effects. Their budget still came in at under 10 million, but I understand that the game was in development for a long while and team was larger than Telltale's.

More realistically, the game can have a few branching arches and some different dialog (ala Mass Effect), but not a completely different outcome.

• I figured that Telltale isnt EA - and thats great! Thats why their story feels so real, its no Hollywood desk-planned story. Its a tale that could happen, a tale of normal people trying to survive, a tale with heart and soul. I hope they made the dineros to feature bigger decisions in Episode 2 though. Too bad they killed my favourites off...

• The way I see it Season 1 did a lot of good with false choices and made a story that was interesting right till the end. The problem is they have now played that card and it won't work a second time. I'm not going to agonise over decisions of who to give food to or who to take with me in Season 2 because I'm expecting those changes to be irrelevant. Sure some choices can end up being invalidated, but unless I'm given reason to believe there will be some real consequence to at least some of my actions this time I won't care about them. Without that interest Season 2 will find it much harder to have the same impact Season 1 did.

The shame is, any theme of fatalism aside, it would have been terribly easy to sow some seeds in Season 1 that call back on your choices. There could have been several different endings for Carly, Doug, Lily, Kenny, Omerta, Ben, Christa and Omid depending on your actions, and some of them could reflect on Clem too. It would only have taken writing a half-dozen extra scenes based on your choices throughout and there could be a real feeling that any of your choices could have serious consequences. Instead that was entirely undermined.

• I'm fine with the game as is, but I definitely would not object to more meaningful branching ala Witcher 2 style in the future.

• The reason the game was griping to me is because i thought my choices would play a part in the GROUPs survival/demise.Particularly lee/clem.I finished.Realized only choice that matters is doug/carly,kinda changed my thoughts from this a game is a 10 to its an 8.5.Dont get me wrong loved the game but S2 must change in the choices matter section.

• User Avatar Image
    mz3

I don't know why we didn't have any option to save chuck or leave him behind.or about hershel's son.and in episode 4 there isn't any difference between lee go alone or not.
    they miss the boat Anyway.kenny's death is unacceptable when you don't save ben.and more .....
    I hope in season 2 we have wider choices with Different consequences and we make the game.

• @mz3 said: I don't know why we didn't have any option to save chuck or leave him behind.or about hershel's son.and in episode 4 there isn't any difference between lee go alone or not.
    they miss the boat Anyway.kenny's death is unacceptable when you don't save ben.and more .....
    I hope in season 2 we have wider choices with Different consequences and we make the game.

I definitely agree. The game was amazing but it would a been better if your choices made a much bigger impact on the game itself.

• [B]Just a question for u guys don't you think if you choose to have lily back in the RV when she shot Carley that she is returning in Season 2 of the game?[/B]

• @Janickje said: [B]Just a question for u guys don't you think if you choose to have lily back in the RV when she shot Carley that she is returning in Season 2 of the game?[/B]

Originally Lilly's departure was in part because she was one of the characters in the comic and the game is supposed to be canon with the comic. Since then that comic character was given a new backstory by the comic's author which means game Lilly is now considered an original character. So odds are she may come back in the next season, even if it wasn't originally planned that way.

Add Comment