User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Dude, I posted a thread advocating for Kenny to be the PC in season 2. I don't think it's completely fair to say everyone hates him. :rolleyes:

• I don't think everyone hates Kenny. In fact, I'd say the opposite given all the Kenny ain't dead posts. Personally, I disagree with him a lot, but that doesn't make me hate him. I understand where he's coming from, believe he's a good man at heart, and consider him a friend. But that doesn't mean I'll back him up when I think he's making the wrong calls.

• I don't think a lot of people hate Kenny. If anything, they would hate Ben for all the stupid shit he did :(

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Another valuable collection to our "why does everyone" thread collection.

I'll add the tag. :rolleyes:

• I'm not speaking even directly of this forum. And obviously I don't mean everyone... just most people.

I've listened to maybe 10-12 gaming podcast by now talking about TWD and a good portion of these podcast all hate Kenny and think he's an asshole. I just don't get it =/

• I never hated Kenny. He's a good man in impossible situation. But if you don't side with him everytime, he's ungrateful prick. Everyone went with me to save Clem without having to tell them what I did for them, except Kenny.

• I dont hate him but hes kind of a dick.

1.After he saved duck why did he run away instead of help me with shawn?

2. Larry wasn't even dead, he didn't even want to try to CPR with us or at least check his pulse before smashing his head in. Larry was a scumbag but keep in mind, if Larry wouldn't have died then Lilly wouldn't have freaked out and shot Carly.

3. When I shot the girl in the street out of mercy, we went and looted the store, zombies broke in and I was trapped under the door with 2 zombies on top of it. That dick face just stood there and watched me struggle for my life. I mean thats practically killing me, but I got out and when confronted he just said something like "well, you got out didn't you? Everything worked out".

What the hell Kenny.

• @Advanced said:

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... [...] caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time [...]

Seriously?

@ topic:

I don't hate Kenny, I supported him throughout my first playthrough. I even let him beat me when we were on the train. But in the end he didn't want to help find Clem (I had to beg him for his help) and he wanted to have "an adult conversation" about how to end my life. So, well, I guess he wasn't the best friend either.

• @Advanced said: I'm not speaking even directly of this forum. And obviously I don't mean everyone... just most people.

I've listened to maybe 10-12 gaming podcast by now talking about TWD and a good portion of these podcast all hate Kenny and think he's an asshole. I just don't get it =/

He was fundamentally a good guy, but way too fickle. After everything we'd been through together for him to turn around and go " i am a christian man, but you haven't had my back" was massively prickish when I was bitted and needed his help to save clem. I managed to convince him, but it was still a big "WTF Ken" moment.

My decisions with Kenny were

1. Tried to save Shawn
    2. Defended Kenny from Hershel's accusations/ told him shawns death wasn't his fault
    3. "we reason with him"
    4. Fed him and Duck (along with Clem and Carley)
    5. Was on the fence with him and Lilly's arguing, leaning towards Kenny
    6. Helped him deal with Larry
    7. Told him i was a killer
    8. Thought he should be the one to shoot Duck.
    9. Comforted him and showed compassion over Duck & Kat
    10. Killed to boy in the attic myself
    11. Dropped Ben with his consent.

So its not like i was an arsehole towards him, the majority of those are pro Kenny and most of those that aren't were in episode 1, at the end of which i got the "especially a good friend" line.

The only one i'm not sure about was killing Duck, does he like you more or less if you do it? I just thought it should be Ducks family to do it. Maybe thats where i damaged our relationship.

• @VirtR said: I dont hate him but hes kind of a dick.

1.After he saved duck why did he run away instead of help me with shawn?

2. Larry wasn't even dead, he didn't even want to try to CPR with us or at least check his pulse before smashing his head in. Larry was a scumbag but keep in mind, if Larry wouldn't have died then Lilly wouldn't have freaked out and shot Carly.

3. When I shot the girl in the street out of mercy, we went and looted the store, zombies broke in and I was trapped under the door with 2 zombies on top of it. That dick face just stood there and watched me struggle for my life. I mean thats practically killing me, but I got out and when confronted he just said something like "well, you got out didn't you? Everything worked out".

What the hell Kenny.

Kenny is a prime example of the "Either you're with me, or you're against me" kind of guy.

Add Comment