User Avatar Image

QFG-style "Mage's Initiation" from Himalaya/AGDI

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 432 users

Yeah, but besides the fact that ActiVision won't let us do anymore, we're kind of tired of doing this for free.

But we are working on a new original Sierra-style adventure game under our commercial brand Himalaya Studios which was just announced! It's an adventure/RPG hybrid like Quest For Glory called "Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements."

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh yeah I can definitely understand why you guys do not want to do 4 you have all been very generous already... Yeah I saw that about Mage's initiation... I signed up for the newsletter.

• Mage's Initiation looks so badass just from those three screenshots. As far as KQIII Redux, it's badass too. I almost died laughing from the wizard's "punishment". Greatest punishment ever! Greatest wizard ever! He's not JUST evil; he's hilarious and awesome. Only a wizard made of awesome would think up a punishment like that. I also refuse to use a walkthrough for the game. CAN I BEAT THE TOUGHEST KINGS QUEST GAME UNAIDED BY CHEATS? Yes, because I beat KQ 1, 2, and 5 the same way. After this, I'll only have KQ 4, 6, 7, and 8 to beat.

• Apparently any day now a new Kickstarter will be launched by Himalaya Studios (also known as "AGD Interactive") for their hi-res QFG-style Mage's Initiation game:

http://www.himalayastudios.com/games/mages/#about-the-game

No doubt you're all already familiar with these guys, who have been putting out adventure games since before Telltale existed. Their popular, free Sierra game remakes have won tons of awards and have inspired many adventure game indie teams over the last ten years, even when things looked bleak for the genre.

Free downloads of their games...
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

• We're certainly familiar with the guy who composed the music for their games.

• Only a couple of them. Actually, Mage's is the only project that has been completely mine with no contributions from another composer. I did the bulk of KQ3Redux, but Tom Lewandowski helped out with a fair amount of music.

• I see you as more of an avatar combining the souls of all those involved in the project into one super composer being.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Only a couple of them. Actually, Mage's is the only project that has been completely mine with no contributions from another composer. I did the bulk of KQ3Redux, but Tom Lewandowski helped out with a fair amount of music.

I hope the Himalaya pitch video is punchy. I have no doubt the Mage's Initiation product will be of high quality (AGDI/Himalaya's track record speaks for itself), but I hope their sales pitch is strong. As a longtime fan of their work, I always thought they should toot their own horn a bit more.

I loved the opening animation in the SpaceVenture pitch video, and I think it did them a lot of good. Hero-U's video, on the other hand... well, let's just say I'm happy they succeeded despite their pitch video. Jane Jensen's was memorable and effective, and showed what could be done when you really don't have any game clips of the project you're selling.

• @MtnPeak said: Jane Jensen's was memorable and effective, and showed what could be done when you really don't have any game clips of the project you're selling.

Which we, conversely, do. And more. :)

• @MtnPeak said: Apparently any day now a new Kickstarter will be launched by Himalaya Studios (also known as "AGD Interactive") for their hi-res QFG-style Mage's Initiation game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

Their Kickstarter page is up. They're only asking for $65,000, which is next to nothing, really.

I don't know anything about Daniel Stacey, but my first reaction to watching the video was that it seems an awkward choice, from a marketing standpoint, to choose a guy with a lisp to introduce the game.

Second, color me skeptical about the combat. How does tying your level to your score make the combat balanced? How does it affect it at all?

And third, I hope the animated cutscenes shown are as yet unfinished. They look like they could belong to a saturday morning cartoon from when I was a kid. What I mean is, there needs to be more shading and detail to them. They're just... not impressive, I guess.

EDIT: also, looking at this screenshot:
    5da846bc9b62781f3b3fc45d2d1597f9_large.p

Something about the difference in detail between the background and the sprites just doesn't look quite right to me.

The game looks great. I'm just nitpicking.

EDIT AGAIN: I got in early with the $6 Early-Bird pledge, but I'm very likely going to upgrade to at least $16 simply because Brandon Blume (MusicallyInspired) made the music all himself, and you get a digital copy of the soundtrack at the $16 tier.

Add Comment