User Avatar Image

TWD Season 2 speculation/suggestion (merged threads)

posted by Yusuf Koroma on - last edited - Viewed by 25.5K users

In the coming months, Telltale Games will release three more episodes of their adventure game The Walking Dead. They won't stop there, though. Telltale marketing executive Steve Allison said that they will create a second season eventually as well.

"Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do," Allison told Polygon.

The Walking Dead has been a huge critical and commercial success for Telltale. The first episode, "A New Day," sold almost 1.7 million copies in its first two months. It's said to be the company's fastest-selling game ever.

The game starts before the events of the Walking Dead show and comic. Lee Everett, a man convicted of murder, has been unexpectedly free as a zombie outbreak sweeps the globe. He and a small group of survivors band together in order to stay alive. As Lee, players must endure zombie attacks as well as internal strife among the survivors.

It's not clear whether the second season of the game will be a direct continuation of the first season. They might just decide to tell a new story with a completely different cast of characters. I'd be happy with either. The writing for these games has proven top-notch so I have faith that Telltale could craft another compelling set of survivors for us to follow.

Episode 3 of Walking Dead will be available in August. "Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

www.cinemablend.com/games/Walking-Dead-Game-Season-Two-Confirmed-44364.html

1.2K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Riadon said: I realize that the game is going for a comic book look. That doesn't excuse it from usual blemishes like horrible texturing and primitive lighting/shadowing.

Is something like this appealing to you:

ibzQJJeWS7LEpd.jpg

Looks like something from the original Quake games...

I don't know what platform you're playing on, but my version of the game looked FAR better than that(and I've seen that zombie closeup several times). If you purposely turned the graphics to their lowest value, then that's no excuse for wanting an upgrade.

• @Mornai said: I don't know what platform you're playing on, but my version of the game looked FAR better than that(and I've seen that zombie closeup several times). If you purposely turned the graphics to their lowest value, then that's no excuse for wanting an upgrade.

I play the PC version at max settings 1440p w/ forced 4x MSAA/TRSSAA and SweetFX, and that isn't my screenshot. However, that is what the particular zombie looks like for me (minus the aliasing). The point of the screenshot wasn't to show that the entire game looked like that, it just serves to remind people that claimed the game looked "perfect" what it can look like at times.

• untitled2_zps49a25198.jpg

I just took this in-game, and comparing it to the previous image it seems to be better in quality. My PC is far from a gaming one and my monitor resolution is nothing to write home about, but if mine looks like this then surely yours should too(or better).

I agree that a graphics upgrade would be great. I just don't want them to have to sacrifice anything major to do so.

Also I've read that Telltale did in fact consider making the game black and white, but decided it would hurt the image more than help it in the end.

• @Mornai said:
    I just took this in-game, and comparing it to the previous image it seems to be better in quality. My PC is far from a gaming one and my monitor resolution is nothing to write home about, but if mine looks like this then surely yours should too(or better).

I agree that a graphics upgrade would be great. I just don't want them to have to sacrifice anything major to do so.

Also I've read that Telltale did in fact consider making the game black and white, but decided it would hurt the image more than help it in the end.

You're right, and I only picked that image because I saw it in the Steam community hub and remembered the zombie looking similarly horrible on my rig. It's slightly better, but you understand that it looks terrible, regardless. In general, zombie body textures look completely horrible (other than important zombies). Survivor textures are generally acceptable, but they are muddy and lack any real detail.

• @Riadon said:

Borderlands 2 has a comic book feel while still using many modern effects and great texturework. It is not like Telltale's game is staying 100% faithful to the graphic novel anyways, I mean, the novels are black and white...

I would prefer that the artists simply work on using better textures for major characters, though, to limit time and budget spent on the game.

Borderlands 2 had a LOT of money to spend to work on graphics. Telltale, however, doesn't. Graphics are the one thing that you NEED lots of money to do well in a video game. Every other aspect can be handled by a lot of dedication and hard work, but if you want even DECENT graphics on your game you're going to have to either invest boat loads of money, or do it in sprites, and I think we can all agree that 16 bit TWD wouldn't be as touching.

• I want to see 2 best friends called katie and sadie and they're get in fights becuase of a boy and Katie kills saide because katie is going out with the boy but make that scene really sad.

• @anonymau5 said: Borderlands 2 had a LOT of money to spend to work on graphics. Telltale, however, doesn't. Graphics are the one thing that you NEED lots of money to do well in a video game. Every other aspect can be handled by a lot of dedication and hard work, but if you want even DECENT graphics on your game you're going to have to either invest boat loads of money, or do it in sprites, and I think we can all agree that 16 bit TWD wouldn't be as touching.

It doesn't cost $20,000,000 to make a few detailed textures. If a modder can do it in a couple of days, shouldn't a trained team of artists be able to match it at the very least? I would like to see 2048x2048 textures on the main characters and 1024x1024 on zombies, that's it.

I listed a lot of advanced effects earlier that could improve the game graphically simply because some of the more hardcore fans don't seem to realize that the game's visuals aren't "perfect", there is a lot of room for improvement. I know it isn't very realistic to expect a small team to accomplish all of that, especially in a really old engine.

Anyways, it doesn't cost THAT much money to modernize your game, assuming you are using a powerful engine. Some examples of low-budget (relatively) games that were created with state-of-the-art graphics are Metro 2033, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, and The Witcher 2. Telltale is not, however, using a powerful engine, so they would either have to create a new engine, or license a new one. No one really expects them to do that, but they can still do basic things like improve textures, shadowmaps, LOD distance, terrain density, animation, etc.

• @Riadon said: I realize that the game is going for a comic book look. That doesn't excuse it from usual blemishes like horrible texturing and primitive lighting/shadowing.

Is something like this appealing to you:

ibzQJJeWS7LEpd.jpg

Looks like something from the original Quake games...

Your ability to attach images doesn't prove any point you're trying to make. It only proves you're loud and abrasive.

You might know how to be just civil enough to avoid getting banned from this forum, but you can't keep up this attitude problem of yours for much longer.

• @Robert Morgan said: Your ability to attach images doesn't prove any point you're trying to make. It only proves you're loud and abrasive.

You might know how to be just civil enough to avoid getting banned from this forum, but you can't keep up this attitude problem of yours for much longer.

Why do you even bother replying to me, especially when you don't understand the point of my posts? Some argue that The Walking Dead possesses "perfect" graphics, I state otherwise, and post an example of how it is not always so.

Also, I make plenty of "abrasive" posts in this forum, the quoted post is not, nor are any of my recent "graphical" posts. If you consider disagreeing with someone to be "abrasive", perhaps you should stay off of the internet.

• I think character graphics are good but the zombie textures need some work.

Add Comment