User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 14K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I finally pledged to The Last Days Of Coney Island. Money worth well spend.

• Ragnar Tornquist is quite possibly the stupidest sounding name I've ever heard. For that reason alone, I can't bear to back that project.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I'm sure some names popular in Illinois sound pretty crappy to Norwegian ears as well.

• @Lambonius said: Ragnar Tornquist is quite possibly the stupidest sounding name I've ever heard. For that reason alone, I can't bear to back that project.

Seriously? Ragnar is a very normal Norwegian name and Törnquist is a very normal Swedish name, though spelled with a Norwegian ø in his case. It would seem a lot stupider if he were to change his name to what's considered an unstupid name in your country of origin for the sake of this kickstarter

@Lambonius said: I'm sure some names popular in Illinois sound pretty crappy to Norwegian ears as well.

That reminds me: The name Steve Cook sounds hilarious to Norwegians.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Forgiven. After you supported the kickstarter of course.

BTW, you can type an ø on US keyboards by holding ALT and pressing Num 0 - 2 - 4 - 8 in sequence. No more mistakes from now on please. :)

• An old update, development character design art on Last Days of Coney Island.
    f1b64e6fd6dfe329d8273ba39feadb50_large.j

Has anyone even pledged to this kickstarter project? I want to see this succeed. Ralph deserves a second chance. He's only got 12 days left!

Edit: forgot one, this one is two cops Max and Louie. Drawn by Kent Butterworth(who worked on Adventures of Sonic the hedgehog).
    tumblr_mhet20nNmT1rsu7dxo1_500.jpg

• @MtnPeak said: Apparently any day now a new Kickstarter will be launched by Himalaya Studios (also known as "AGD Interactive") for their hi-res QFG-style Mage's Initiation game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

Their Kickstarter page is up. They're only asking for $65,000, which is next to nothing, really.

I don't know anything about Daniel Stacey, but my first reaction to watching the video was that it seems an awkward choice, from a marketing standpoint, to choose a guy with a lisp to introduce the game.

Second, color me skeptical about the combat. How does tying your level to your score make the combat balanced? How does it affect it at all?

And third, I hope the animated cutscenes shown are as yet unfinished. They look like they could belong to a saturday morning cartoon from when I was a kid. What I mean is, there needs to be more shading and detail to them. They're just... not impressive, I guess.

EDIT: also, looking at this screenshot:
    5da846bc9b62781f3b3fc45d2d1597f9_large.p

Something about the difference in detail between the background and the sprites just doesn't look quite right to me.

The game looks great. I'm just nitpicking.

EDIT AGAIN: I got in early with the $6 Early-Bird pledge, but I'm very likely going to upgrade to at least $16 simply because Brandon Blume (MusicallyInspired) made the music all himself, and you get a digital copy of the soundtrack at the $16 tier.

• Got an update about Coney Island, another development drawing on Max and Louie.
    b9fb9d1b1669d94b8711c40534c769b2_large.j

11 days left people, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ralphbakshi/last-days-of-coney-island-0 fund it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1105575464/niko-and-the-sword-of-light

I'd really like to draw the community's attention to this kickstarter. Bobby Chiu is one of the greatest creature designers alive, and I generally don't like seeing dream projects of such creative talents unsuccessful. Thankfully, the kickstarter's off to a good start.

For me personally, the idea isn't particularly appealing. I'm a bit overfed with swordfighting children in fantasy worlds, although this seems to have a nice twist to it. Secondly, it's an iPad thing, and I don't intend to buy any Apple product before I'm 70 and generally too dumb to understand all the other new computery stuff.

Bobby's DeviantArt page:
    http://imaginism.deviantart.com/

Add Comment