User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 10.4K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Parker 9/10

+9 for pure badassery, -1 for Jennifer Lopez’s shitty acting.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 8/10

Kind of corny, yet a decent action-horror flick.

• @DAISHI said: Hugo.

9/10

My gods I cried about five times in the movie.

I watched this movie last week too (finally). And yeah, it's the closest that any piece of media has ever brought me to tears. I can't even put my finger on the reason for it's profound effect; all I know is that it touched me in a way that was really unique. I don't know if it elicits the same response from everyone, but damn, it had one hell of an effect on me.

• Finally went and saw Parker. Statham was great as he always is, it's just that the writing for the other characters is sub-par. Jennifer Lopez's character got introduced so late into the movie, it made absolutely no sense for her to be included in the love triangle.

7/10, just for Statham.

• @Hayden said: I watched this movie last week too (finally). And yeah, it's the closest that any piece of media has ever brought me to tears. I can't even put my finger on the reason for it's profound effect; all I know is that it touched me in a way that was really unique. I don't know if it elicits the same response from everyone, but damn, it had one hell of an effect on me.

Scorsese is obviously a great director. He lets his actors act. That moment when the camera pans out from Milieu's bedroom, with him cradling his head in his arms, crying, his wife beside him... damn.

• All on Netflix:

The Vicious Kind - Indie family drama starring Adam Scott and J.K. Simmons. Heavy stuff. 7/10

Slacker - One of the indie trailblazers. Interesting in that we don't spend more than a few minutes with any one character. We just go around Austin, following one character into a vignette and then generally following another character out of that vignette and into another. 7.5/10 (This has potential for me to increase my rating as time passes and it sits with me).

The Conversation - Only weakened by the middle section where there are some cheesy '70s characters and a party. The other parts were incredible and it would have Top 5 potential for me if the whole thing was more quiet like those parts. Loved the music (I also loved the music for HBO's Recount, which sounds like it almost blatantly plagiarized this!). Anyway, still might wind up a Top 5-10 of mine when all is said and done. 9/10

Sherlock Jr. - Buster Keaton silent. Amazing stunts. The first 15 minutes drag a bit but once it heats up it's great. Only 44 minutes total. Comes off Netflix on 2/15 so you might want to check it out now.

• Smiley- 4/10

-This had the potential to become a great movie. The villain scared the hell out of me, which is probably the only think this movie does right. Bad acting, even more horrible writing. The entire movie's premise is how internet trolling screws with people in real life. With that, the ending is very cliche. And then a post-credits scene shows promise of a sequel. Really?

I guess this is what happens when I miss slasher films.

• A Good Day to Die Hard 10/10

Yippie-ki-yay, Motherfucker!!!

• Battleship - 5/10

The movie was not great but it was not awful, it did have it's cool moments and funny parts but no enough to keep it in the good movie category.

Looper - 4/10

One of those movies that from the trailers had a really cool set up, but just fell out flat.
    No real action, no real suspense and the whole TK thing just ruined it completely.

• I was recently asked to write a review of the movie Lincoln for Youth Journalism International, so I figured I'd post a link here for all to see.

Review.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Noname215 said: A Good Day to Die Hard 10/10

I'm glad to see this, it's been thrashed by critics so I've been worried about it, and I wanted to see it (I really liked Live Free and Die Hard). Although, Die Hard With a Vengence was also trampled by critics, and that's my current favorite in the series, so I probably shouldn't have been worried.

Add Comment