User Avatar Image

Under the Half Dome: Orchestrated Versions by Ken Allen of His Sierra Game Music

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 358 users

For those who don't know, Ken Allen, composer of many early Sierra games such as Colonel's Bequest, King's Quest I, King's Quest V, Space Quest IV, Space Quest I VGA, and also some games outside of Sierra like Descent has started a KickStarter project called Under the Half Dome for a music album based on, inspired by, and re-imagining his old works.

The project has already hit its goal in under 48 hours and there will be an announcement soon of some interesting stretch goals. Backer rewards include the album in physical and digital format, access to backer-exclusive blog of the production of the album, t-shirt, blow-up poster of the album artwork (made by ex-Sierra artist Rich Powell), and even big things like a MIDI keyboard controller (same one Ken is using to record the album), a chance for you the backer to perform on one of the tracks on the album, write some liner notes, as well as Ken composing a song specifically for you of your direction in the higher tiers. And more!

Fund him!

Kickstarter Project Page

http://kenspace.com
Facebook Page
Google+ Group
Twitter

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I'm not too comfortable with the word "orchestrated" in the title of this thread, as that's not what is happening here. MusicallyInspired, can I change the title somehow to actually match the project? Suggestions welcome...

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: I'm not too comfortable with the word "orchestrated" in the title of this thread, as that's not what is happening here. MusicallyInspired, can I change the title somehow to actually match the project? Suggestions welcome...

I actually made the name of the title (since it's using a digital orchestra program) when I merged all the threads from around these forums to make the conversation easier to follow. But, you can change the name of the title if you want. Maybe to "Digital Orchestrations" instead of "Orchestrated Versions"?

• I'm taking what was once pure MIDI data and recreating the music using the same orchestra libraries used by Film and TV composers. Virtual or no, this is still fully orchestrated.

• @Jennifer said: Maybe to "Digital Orchestrations" instead of "Orchestrated Versions"?

Virtual orchestra is more accurate. The VST library is the East West Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Gold. Actual orchestral musicians are sampled for this library. And it's in wide use in Hollywood for orchestral movie underscores.

Ken

• @mrkenallen said: Virtual orchestra is more accurate. The VST library is the East West Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Gold. Actual orchestral musicians are sampled for this library. And it's in wide use in Hollywood for orchestral movie underscores.

Ken

Hey Ken,

with pledges going up, would you be considering to utilize EastWest's "Hollywood Strings", "Hollywood Brass" and "Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds" instead of just "SO Gold"? The Hollywood series is a HUGE step up from the Symphonic Orchestra, both quality- and realism-wise...

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Is there any way to use Paypal for this (now that it's guaranteed to be funded, like many kickstarters do)? I had to transfer money from my Paypal account to my bank account to cover the tier I chose, and I'm not sure it's going to get there in time before the kickstarter ends (I really don't want to have to pledge less). :(

• Man, if we could break another $1k we could get the first stretch goal of having the music video!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MusicallyInspired said: Man, if we could break another $1k we could get the first stretch goal of having the music video!

There's a little under three days left. There's a good chance it will make it (although it's going to be close).

• According to Kicktraq, it's trending toward another almost $1k over the goal. We'll see what happens.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

It just made it's first stretch goal! I can't wait for Animaniacs inspired backer's song. :D

And the money did transfer in time, so I don't need to use Paypal and I don't have to pick a lower tier. So, yay! :)

Add Comment