User Avatar Image

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit - Monkey Island Crash

posted by AWFordJr on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Hello,

I just bought all 5 chapters of this game on Amazon.com & after I downloaded & backed things up on DVD I installed them on my Windows 7 64Bit PC. I have looked all over the web trying to find a solution to my problem so that I can try this game & play it. Not a big loss at only $9.99 but still its money I could have used for something else so it would be nice to be able to play it.

Error Images,

http://i49.tinypic.com/2a9cuj6.png / http://i45.tinypic.com/b3s8ic.png

Complete Error Information,

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MonkeyIsland101.RWG
Application Version: 2009.7.6.29797
Application Timestamp: 4a52e1da
Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland101.RWG
Fault Module Version: 2009.7.6.29797
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a52e1da
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 003f092f
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

System Information,

* Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G
* CPU: Intel Q9300 Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz 6MB L2 1333 MHz FSB Socket 775
* Memory: G.SKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Model F2-6400CL5S-4GBPQ Cas Latency 5
* Video: ATI Radeon XFX HD 4650 PCI-E 2.1 16x 1GB
* Primary Master HDD: OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC
* Primary Slave HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA II 64MB Buffer 7200RPM
* Primary OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit edition build 7600
* 2nd OS: Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64Bit

So as you can see my system is a serious over kill for this game & I use it mainly for programming, gaming, and video editing. The game is installed on my 2TB drive which is under the following paths,

I:\Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1
I:\Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2
I:\Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3
I:\Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 4
I:\Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5

I have all up to date drivers (including video) on my computer along with the latest Direct X. I have tried to install in the default directory as well with no luck. If you could kindly help me with making this game work that would be awesome! When I ordered this game I was under the impression it was a steam game which I was rather upset about once I ordered it finding out it wasn't.

Thanks for help & support,
Tony Ford

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Nope, all 5 chapters do the same thing on all the computers. I never said I was better then you, but the suggestions you offered me were useless even before I did the update to my sound which I only did to prove my point. If you were a computer Tech you would know that in most cases sound is not usually the issue when it comes to the type of error I am getting. Look at my steam account bro I have almost 200 games & if I were to uninstall all of my sound drivers right now & try to play any one of them they would run fine, I just wouldn't have any sound. So yes I was very annoyed with your suggestions because they didn't help or even pertain to the problem I am having. I am frustrated because I paid for something I can not use. I know $9.99 is nothing to you or even perhaps to the game company but for me its still a loss regardless because of the fact I got nothing out of it. Nothing I can use anyway, at least if I had bought the disks I would have coasters for my drinks.

Now as for your suggestion with the demo that is in fact a good idea in which I had not thought of, and I will get back to you on that.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

If you haven't tried that yet, unplugging controllers is worth trying, because the game enumerates them on startup. An example of that being relevant is The Walking Dead on Windows 8, which crashes for a lot of people if a controller is present. Wit Monkey Island there were similar issues. I remember people having problems when their Wacom Tablet was connected. That's why unplugging non essential USB devices is a reasonable approach with TTGs games.
    As far as i know they all have issues if there is no sound device present.

Besides that i can say, that i've tested ToMI in Windows XP, Vista, Win7 64 bit and Win 8 64 bit without problems, so it's not a general incompatibility with the operating systems.
    If the TTG Demo works, it could be something about the DRM Amazon uses.

Actually the games even work on these Windows versions in my VMWare player virtual machines. I do most of my tests with the TTG Store versions though. I don't have access to Amazon versions.

• @DjNDB said: Further, i don't know what the Amazon Download version does different, but it's always worth trying if the free demo of the TTG Store version works. If it does, than it's probably an Amazon specific problem.

The problem is definitely something to do with Amazon! Thank you for the suggestion to try the demo. This was good help information & a great suggestions that I had not thought of, then again I didn't even know there was a demo. I mainly bought the game because I got all of them for $9.99 & they were on the deal of the week. I also thought they were for steam but they weren't so I got a double whammy.

So now... OMG! God only knows what to do now but I did notice that when the demo version was installing it ask if I wanted to allow the installer to check for needed DirextX updates & files, and I said yes. This is not something it offers when you install from the downloaded exe files from Amazon.

As for the demo it ran perfectly with out any problems.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@AWFordJr said:
    So now... OMG! God only knows what to do now but I did notice that when the demo version was installing it ask if I wanted to allow the installer to check for needed DirextX updates & files, and I said yes. This is not something it offers when you install from the downloaded exe files from Amazon.

As for the demo it ran perfectly with out any problems.

That's a good start.

If it actually installed some of the older DirectX files the game expects, than there's a chance the Amazon Version works too now.

• No it still crashes... I have tried each chapter & they all do the same thing. Perhaps if I copy the files from the demo over to the full as far as the directX, I will try it but I have emailed Amazon about the problem asking for a refund. Not sure they will refund a digital order, but who knows.

• Nope no such luck it crashes no matter what I try to do with it.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

One more thing you can try is disabling most background processes/services as described below. Especially security software (Antivirus, Firewall, ...) could interfere with one version of the game but not the other.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

• Oh well I just uninstalled them... I am pretty much over it but it would have been nice to be able to play the game. If Amazon doesn't refund me I guess I will have just lost 10 bucks. Thanks for trying to help, and sorry for getting so frustrated wasn't nothing personal.

Thanks & good luck...

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

You're welcome. I am glad we at least figured out that the problem is Amazon related.

• I no longer am interested in this game as I have already thought of all these ideas other then the demo suggestion you had made. I have no idea what the problem is, and am not going to pursue it any further. It doesn't seam like a game I would have liked anyway. I will just count my losses & move on. From now on I will look into a game a bit more before I buy it regardless how cheap it is.

Add Comment