User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Some people dont know that if you refuse to kill larry in meat locker , you may still end up friends with kenny

• @vivec said: Some people dont know that if you refuse to kill larry in meat locker , you may still end up friends with kenny

It's sort of a bittersweet friendship, as it will never be the same.

"You've always been there for me. Always had my back. What kinda friend would i be if i wasn't there for you now? You and Clem are my family now. You're all I've got. Bitten or not, I'm with you to the end." -Kenny

Siding against him in the meat i locker i think always causes the scenario in which you must convince him to join you to search for Clem. This shows that he doesn't fully trust you even after everything you've been through, because disagreeing in the meat locker is seen as putting his family in danger(in his eyes).

As for Larry, yes he has good intentions with protecting his daughter and what not, but that's not enough to redeem his actions. He pretty much attempts to murder Lee in the drugstore at the end of episode 1. I can understand being cautious or even hostile to a known murderer, but attempting to commit the same crime with no obvious gain is going too far.

I still would not kill him in the meat locker, though. My assessment of the situation was(and still is) that he was not in fact dead. Ignoring that and basing the decision on just if you like him or not, i would still save him. I think that situation is also a test of the players' own willpower. Will you let your emotions dominate your actions and kill this man just because you hate him? Or can you overcome those emotions, keep control of yourself and do the right thing? Many cannot, and are easily overwhelmed by their hatred for Larry.

Then again, there isn't really a right thing to do, but having another able bodied survivor is in my opinion better in the long run(even if he is a jerk)

It's nice to see Let's plays where people despise Larry and state that they will kill him at the earliest possible opportunity, but then realize that this desire is unfounded and try to save him when the time comes.

• @Mornai said:
    Then again, there isn't really a right thing to do, but having another able bodied survivor is in my opinion better in the long run(even if he is a jerk)

I think having a major heart condition disqualifies someone as "able-bodied", especially when that person has such piss poor control over their own anger issues they repeatedly work themselves into a heart attack. :p

Seriously, some people try to talk Larry up as some kind of shrewd survivor who does all this smart long term planning. He's a fucking idiot. He has a bad heart but yells his ass off for no reason, even when his daughter repeatedly points out what a bad idea that was.

He screams bloody murder about Duck being bitten and how if a single walker got inside it would be the end for everyone, then he screams at Carley for killing a walker that had gotten inside. He refuses to consider doing anything that might be considered remotely offensive to the St. Johns, then yells at Lee for not doing enough against the St. Johns.

The man was a certifiable dumb fuck and it was a miracle he survived as long as he did. Fucking Ben of all people outlived him, and he's Ben.

• @Mornai said:
    It's nice to see Let's plays where people despise Larry and state that they will kill him at the earliest possible opportunity, but then realize that this desire is unfounded and try to save him when the time comes.

That's exactly what ended happening to me in my first play through. It was chatting with Lilly earlier that made me soften up to Larry because it sounds like the man had a pretty sad life.

Of course, in subsequent games, I sides with Kenny and wished I could bro-fist him knowing helping Lilly won't change anything after episode 3.

• @Jaded X Gamer said: I think having a major heart condition disqualifies someone as "able-bodied", especially when that person has such piss poor control over their own anger issues they repeatedly work themselves into a heart attack. :p

Of course, but he beat that wooden fence real good with that rock in episode 2. Then he further showcased his strength by beating it with the side of the axe if Lee gives it to him. Wiping his brow in the opening scenes of the motor inn prove that this is difficult work that no weak man could be doing. ;)

I don't expect anything from him when it comes to killing walkers, but at the very least he can perform manual labor such as moving furniture to fortify a barricade, so those who are skilled at such things can instead be on watch or something and retain their strength.

• @Mornai said: It's sort of a bittersweet friendship, as it will never be the same.

"You've always been there for me. Always had my back. What kinda friend would i be if i wasn't there for you now? You and Clem are my family now. You're all I've got. Bitten or not, I'm with you to the end." -Kenny

Siding against him in the meat i locker i think always causes the scenario in which you must convince him to join you to search for Clem. This shows that he doesn't fully trust you even after everything you've been through, because disagreeing in the meat locker is seen as putting his family in danger(in his eyes).

As for Larry, yes he has good intentions with protecting his daughter and what not, but that's not enough to redeem his actions. He pretty much attempts to murder Lee in the drugstore at the end of episode 1. I can understand being cautious or even hostile to a known murderer, but attempting to commit the same crime with no obvious gain is going too far.

I still would not kill him in the meat locker, though. My assessment of the situation was(and still is) that he was not in fact dead. Ignoring that and basing the decision on just if you like him or not, i would still save him. I think that situation is also a test of the players' own willpower. Will you let your emotions dominate your actions and kill this man just because you hate him? Or can you overcome those emotions, keep control of yourself and do the right thing? Many cannot, and are easily overwhelmed by their hatred for Larry.

But if you agree with him on everything else he still may gave you the bro speech.

for example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65mPO0rksQ&list=PLeMp79onSUSxwqUyrprDhK8ZyMPljC4HQ&index=24

• How is Kenny a coward? Saving Duck was something he just did as his dad but saving Shawn would've made him a hero...not everyone is a hero. Are you guys saying that you wouldn't hesitate to run over and try to save someone you hardly know when there are zombies that could get you too? Also, considering the fact that he hasn't had enough experience to get used to the zombies, he wouldn't have been ready to just jump in and save the day. Lee is a hero, he did something that would've caused a lot of people to hesitate. If it was my best friend, I would jump in to try and save her...but if it was a stranger I'd probably hesitate and not out of being a coward.

Kenny was right to 'kill' Larry after he died; the chance of Larry becoming a walker was too much of a risk to take. Yes, it was harsh, but you will always get someone like that. Kenny is realistic, he does what needs to be done to survive and you can't really hate him for that. For all you know Larry could've become a walker and killed everyone right then.

• @Rozzer616 said: How is Kenny a coward? Saving Duck was something he just did as his dad but saving Shawn would've made him a hero...not everyone is a hero. Are you guys saying that you wouldn't hesitate to run over and try to save someone you hardly know when there are zombies that could get you too? Also, considering the fact that he hasn't had enough experience to get used to the zombies, he wouldn't have been ready to just jump in and save the day. Lee is a hero, he did something that would've caused a lot of people to hesitate. If it was my best friend, I would jump in to try and save her...but if it was a stranger I'd probably hesitate and not out of being a coward.

Kenny was right to 'kill' Larry after he died; the chance of Larry becoming a walker was too much of a risk to take. Yes, it was harsh, but you will always get someone like that. Kenny is realistic, he does what needs to be done to survive and you can't really hate him for that. For all you know Larry could've become a walker and killed everyone right then.

He did behave cowardly. When someone is in danger and you have the ability to help yet you run away, that is cowardice. Knowing the person or not has nothing to do with it. The worst part is that he looked right at you yelling to help move the tractor, and just ran off. He knew it was wrong and he still did it. I don't blame him, of course, but I don't excuse him for it either. Heat of the moment can do that to people. He made his choice, so he has to live with it.

As far as Larry is concerned, Kenny was just being impatient and self-centered. Yeah, his family was being held hostage, but they were in no immediate danger. Kenny even came to that conclusion on his own. Why did he rush the Larry situation? There are signs of turning that would let him know when it's too late to save someone.

I like Kenny for the most part, but damn, he can be a pain. You try to do the right thing and he accuses you of being useless and getting people killed. Even after the fact, Lee doesn't justify his actions or try to convince Kenny that he made a hasty choice.

Then, there's his "you may not have been keeping score, but I have" bit. One time you don't side with him, and you practically have to beg him to help save a little girl that has done nothing to harm him or his family. He places you not agreeing with him once over the safety of another human being (whom he even admits he cares for). Friends don't keep tallies of things like that. They certainly don't stand back and watch as zombies crush you with a door.

Being allowed to tell him to go f*** himself was somewhat satisfying, but the first time I heard him give me that christian man speech, I wanted to tell him to f*** off. As in go away. As in I no longer want to see you ever again, you ungrateful prick. No one will have your back with that attitude. When I get back to this house, you had better not be here, or I will treat you no different than any other self-serving bandit. Take your boat and go drown yourself. Hope we get options like that for season 2, kicking people out of your group as opposed to saving one over another.

• @BlackBoxx said: He did behave cowardly. When someone is in danger and you have the ability to help yet you run away, that is cowardice. Knowing the person or not has nothing to do with it. The worst part is that he looked right at you yelling to help move the tractor, and just ran off. He knew it was wrong and he still did it. I don't blame him, of course, but I don't excuse him for it either. Heat of the moment can do that to people. He made his choice, so he has to live with it.

As far as Larry is concerned, Kenny was just being impatient and self-centered. Yeah, his family was being held hostage, but they were in no immediate danger. Kenny even came to that conclusion on his own. Why did he rush the Larry situation? There are signs of turning that would let him know when it's too late to save someone.

I like Kenny for the most part, but damn, he can be a pain. You try to do the right thing and he accuses you of being useless and getting people killed. Even after the fact, Lee doesn't justify his actions or try to convince Kenny that he made a hasty choice.

Then, there's his "you may not have been keeping score, but I have" bit. One time you don't side with him, and you practically have to beg him to help save a little girl that has done nothing to harm him or his family. He places you not agreeing with him once over the safety of another human being (whom he even admits he cares for). Friends don't keep tallies of things like that. They certainly don't stand back and watch as zombies crush you with a door.

Being allowed to tell him to go f*** himself was somewhat satisfying, but the first time I heard him give me that christian man speech, I wanted to tell him to f*** off. As in go away. As in I no longer want to see you ever again, you ungrateful prick. No one will have your back with that attitude. When I get back to this house, you had better not be here, or I will treat you no different than any other self-serving bandit. Take your boat and go drown yourself. Hope we get options like that for season 2, kicking people out of your group as opposed to saving one over another.

Seriously? Ok then, everyone who doesn't help you is a coward. Lilly is a coward for not helping with the zombie teacher, Doug is a coward for being scared of zombies, Clem is a coward for not helping with the Carley and Doug saving scene. Come on, you can't expect everyone to just jump in and save lives. Kenny is always the one made out to be the worst just 'cause of that one scene in the meat locker. Kenny feels bad about Shawn because, looking back on it, he knew he could've tried to help (not that he was a coward). Not everyone can put their own life at risk to save a stranger, especially when they're needed to protect their own family (and no, that isn't being selfish).

And with Larry, they wouldn't have known how long it would take him to turn and the only experience they had with someone turning was the teacher...and he changed pretty quickly. Going by that experience, Kenny could be thinking that Larry would become a zombie in about a minute and he would've caused more trouble than the teacher had.

• @Rozzer616 said: Kenny is always the one made out to be the worst just 'cause of that one scene in the meat locker.

I don't think people are peeved at Kenny because of just the meat locker per se. Some people are annoyed at Kenny because if you don't side with him at the meat locker, he won't help you with Clementine even if Lee has sided with Kenny on some other issues. It's Kenny refusing to help Clementine to get back at Lee for not siding with him that makes him selfish. The whole Clementine thing in episode 4/5 was probably the worst point when you also factor in other stuff like Kenny not helping Lee when the pharmacy door fell on him.

If Kenny had helped in those situations despite Lee refusing to participate in salt licking Larry, then I suspect a lot of players would probably not be so focused on the meat locker.

As for the meat locker scene itself, Kenny knew what he was doing was morally dubious, which was why he wanted Lee to back him up.

Add Comment