User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The Fallen said: He was fundamentally a good guy, but way too fickle. After everything we'd been through together for him to turn around and go " i am a christian man, but you haven't had my back" was massively prickish when I was bitted and needed his help to save clem. I managed to convince him, but it was still a big "WTF Ken" moment.

My decisions with Kenny were

1. Tried to save Shawn
    2. Defended Kenny from Hershel's accusations/ told him shawns death wasn't his fault
    3. "we reason with him"
    4. Fed him and Duck (along with Clem and Carley)
    5. Was on the fence with him and Lilly's arguing, leaning towards Kenny
    6. Helped him deal with Larry
    7. Told him i was a killer
    8. Thought he should be the one to shoot Duck.
    9. Comforted him and showed compassion over Duck & Kat
    10. Killed to boy in the attic myself
    11. Dropped Ben with his consent.

So its not like i was an arsehole towards him, the majority of those are pro Kenny and most of those that aren't were in episode 1, at the end of which i got the "especially a good friend" line.

The only one i'm not sure about was killing Duck, does he like you more or less if you do it? I just thought it should be Ducks family to do it. Maybe thats where i damaged our relationship.

The reasons for his dickishness to you is #'s 1,3, and 5. The game doesn't let you 'sit on the fence' because just like in real life, you have to stand up for what you think is right, and sometimes you have to stand with your friends even if you know they are wrong or not thinking clearly. True, number 1 wasn't completely your fault, he was there watching before he stepped in, and ended up allowing Shawn to die, but think if it was Clem. That a guy you barely knew but had started to warm up to you tried to save an adult over a kid would piss you off alone, not aside it being 'family'. So Kenny was right in his own way to say that. I dislike how you killed Ben, for although I agree he was stupid and caused many problems, he trusted you and looked up to you, and in the end was trying to do the right things, but his good intentions fucked everything else up. After seeing what Crawford was like and how they had become, I couldn't drop Ben, for that reason, trying to be moral, and the fact that throughout the game I picked up the 'don't ever give up on someone or something' message, as I'd think when people would be bitten or lost/misplaced.

In my opinion, Kenny was one of my favorite characters, #4 overall, with the others going up were Carley, Clem, and Lee(You). He was a family man and strong-willed, and stubborn to a fault. Had great pride and 'tried' to the right thing. He was IMO one of the strongest all-around characters, one of the leaders and main influences. He could also kick some arse to the zombies and people. I sometimes disagreed with his choices/actions, but my Lee and him were best friends. I made a couple minor choices against Kenny, but only towards him, not his family. Up until episode 4 I was always on his side/right-hand man. I think his reactions and thoughts towards things were reasonable as a whole, although it did piss me off occasionally, like wondering if he should really come with me after all I'd done for him. Kenny actually fit the portrayal of many people during a zombie apocalypse; Me and my family first, friends second, and others are just there for the ride. On my side? Eh, sure I'll help. No? Fuck you, I'm not taking the risk. I hope Kenny could be ALIVE in season 2, although hearing an interview from Kenny's voice actor worries me as to telling of Telltale's first script of the game was to bluntly show Kenny dying, but rewrote it to be more subtle and uncertain. Just gotta hope

• And if you CPR Larry, an interview with one of the Walking Dead people revealed he was alive, and if you look closely to Larry, you see him starting to breathe before the salt lick crushed his head in. He would have survived. Not that I blame Ken. I refuse to lol xD

• @Mark$man said: And if you CPR Larry, an interview with one of the Walking Dead people revealed he was alive, and if you look closely to Larry, you see him starting to breathe before the salt lick crushed his head in. He would have survived. Not that I blame Ken. I refuse to lol xD

He turned at that moment.

• @Mark$man said: And if you CPR Larry, an interview with one of the Walking Dead people revealed he was alive, and if you look closely to Larry, you see him starting to breathe before the salt lick crushed his head in. He would have survived. Not that I blame Ken. I refuse to lol xD

Larry was still royally fucked though. You don't just wake up for a massive coronary and go about your business, it fucks you up for a good while. He needed pills to survive his last heart attack and that one wasn't nearly as severe as the one in the meat locker where he lost consciousness and stopped breathing.

Even if Kenny hadn't busted his head and CPR did revive him he'd be in critical condition and in need of major medical attention the group couldn't provide. Combined with the resulting walker attack after the St. Johns are beaten and I doubt everyone could carry his 300lb ass fast enough away from the hordes of the undead.

Not that I was actually thinking about any of this the first time I played the game. I actually tried to save him the first time. But in retrospect Larry was screwed. :p

• No he didn't turn. You don't turn THAT fast.

• And it was confirmed he was alive. But I agree with Jaded he was screwed lol

• @Mark$man said: No he didn't turn. You don't turn THAT fast.

There's no set time on turning. Some people take just a few minutes while others could take hours. Mr. Parker turned within a matter of minutes after dying on the truck. Considering we have no idea when Larry was clinically dead (if so) when Lilly started chest compressions, it is still possible for Larry to turn in the time frame Kenny smashed his head in.

• @Mark$man said: And it was confirmed he was alive. But I agree with Jaded he was screwed lol

I thought TTG only confirmed there was movement, which could indicate he was alive or that he turned.

• @Mark$man said: The reasons for his dickishness to you is #'s 1,3, and 5. The game doesn't let you 'sit on the fence' because just like in real life, you have to stand up for what you think is right, and sometimes you have to stand with your friends even if you know they are wrong or not thinking clearly. True, number 1 wasn't completely your fault, he was there watching before he stepped in, and ended up allowing Shawn to die, but think if it was Clem. That a guy you barely knew but had started to warm up to you tried to save an adult over a kid would piss you off alone, not aside it being 'family'. So Kenny was right in his own way to say that. I dislike how you killed Ben, for although I agree he was stupid and caused many problems, he trusted you and looked up to you, and in the end was trying to do the right things, but his good intentions fucked everything else up. After seeing what Crawford was like and how they had become, I couldn't drop Ben, for that reason, trying to be moral, and the fact that throughout the game I picked up the 'don't ever give up on someone or something' message, as I'd think when people would be bitten or lost/misplaced.

Cant be the only reason, since he liked me at the end of episode 2 ("there is a place in the RV for you after all"), after all three of those had happened, but was only neutral by the end, im thinking i probably needed to shoot duck myself, He was only a dick to me that one time, but it was a pretty major moment, when i was dying. I would love to know what the actual calculation is for whether he immediately volunteers or not.

I can understand why he'd dislike me over the Shawn thing, reasonably, but its a little disappointing that even after everything else we'd been through he'd still hold that sole incident on the first day against me. I surely cared for his family enough after that point to redeem myself? In terms of my sitting on the fence well i tended to want to solve problems diplomatically, i was always on Kenny's side, just taking a different approach to the problem. Take the "reason with him" option, that was not me backing Larry up, that was me wanting to talk him out of it, there was no way in hell i was ever letting Duck get thrown out and the conversation with him and Lilly were only minor and i just gave honest views on things, he was never angry at me over them.

Ben... Well i just hated the cowardice, and the fact he didn't really improve at all. I can live with the mistakes, but IMO he lets people die when he could have done something twice just because he was scared. I mean i know that Kenny does it once with Shawn but he is then plagued by guilt and i got the sense that he works very hard to make up for it. When Ben made the deal with the bandits and figured out they didn't actually have his friend there was ample opportunity to talk to someone about it, such as Lee if he really looked up to him, and it all could have been dealt with, even as late as the argument on the roadside, when that Lilly and Carley argument is clearly turning ugly he is the one with the magic words to end it. He doesn't say them and Carley dies, later on despite being clearly feeling guilty over what happened, his next major action is to run and leave a 9 year old girl to the walkers, ultimately Chuck dies. The guy was just never even close, does he actually kill a single walker? I rarely gave up on people, but with him and with Lilly i did, he wasn't worth more people dying.

@Mark$man said: In my opinion, Kenny was one of my favorite characters, #4 overall, with the others going up were Carley, Clem, and Lee(You). He was a family man and strong-willed, and stubborn to a fault. Had great pride and 'tried' to the right thing. He was IMO one of the strongest all-around characters, one of the leaders and main influences. He could also kick some arse to the zombies and people. I sometimes disagreed with his choices/actions, but my Lee and him were best friends. I made a couple minor choices against Kenny, but only towards him, not his family. Up until episode 4 I was always on his side/right-hand man. I think his reactions and thoughts towards things were reasonable as a whole, although it did piss me off occasionally, like wondering if he should really come with me after all I'd done for him. Kenny actually fit the portrayal of many people during a zombie apocalypse; Me and my family first, friends second, and others are just there for the ride. On my side? Eh, sure I'll help. No? Fuck you, I'm not taking the risk. I hope Kenny could be ALIVE in season 2, although hearing an interview from Kenny's voice actor worries me as to telling of Telltale's first script of the game was to bluntly show Kenny dying, but rewrote it to be more subtle and uncertain. Just gotta hope

I actually have exactly the same ranking as you do it seems, Clem, Lee, Carley and Kenny were my favourites. I dont hate Kenny for that at all, but its the difference between him and the other close friend you can have as Lee in Carley. I thought very highly of them both, but she was the only one to consistently reciprocate. He needed to take a step back and realise just how much i had done for him, which it felt like he had done to some extent by the time of his death and when he eventually agreed to come with me.

It would be nice for him to live, though the dialogue i got from the version with Christa ("I'll be...OK...argg...get off me..". or something like that) didn't sound too good and it would be weird meeting him as a stranger again.

Add Comment