User Avatar Image

Am I the only person who wouldn't "keep moving"? (Some spoilers)

posted by aguyuno on - last edited - Viewed by 550 users

I'm not gonna bother "tagging" spoilers in here, because I'll likely end up accidentally leaving one in there and people will get mad. Just know that there ARE some.

The thing that's always bugged me about the walking dead series, and really most zombie apocalypse things, is people find a group of people... but then never sit still with it. Why? There's no reason to keep moving. Find a town, buckle down and then clear that shit out.

In the comics, Rick tries that at one point with a prison. It ends badly for reasons I won't go into, but he still tries - It was a good idea. But clearly this isn't the only route to go by. Look at Crawford - They survived for AGES until one crazy pregnant woman went on a shooting spree through the town. And really, as long as you don't try to implement any idiotic "no children, or sick, etc" rules, thereby ensuring that your people only survive one generation, you shouldn't have this problem.

The dead have huge numbers, but beyond that they're slow and stupid. Get your group together with some bladed weapons, clear out a small patch of town (preferably somewhere with a building you can fortify that is big enough to house a lot of people, like a hospital [bonus if it still has beds and/or medicine]), and then push outwards from there. Will the dead ultimately try to push you out? Yes. But that's why you keep fighting.

I don't understand the concept of constantly moving from one place to the next. Why? The only thing that could EVER accomplish is finding new people, and let's be honest - that's not always a good thing. No, the best plan of attack in a situation like this is to REBUILD. If you die trying? Fine. At least you died taking a bunch of zombies with you. But truly, I don't think you will. If your group has at least, let's say 5 or more people with you, you should be fine for at least a while. And once you get yourself set in, people WILL find _you_. And if they don't? Send out scouts, find some. Place flyers around the place, who cares?

Anyway. That's just my rant here. Thoughts, anyone?

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Crixus said: I agree, the idea of always keep moving is foolish. I always argued for staying at the Motel, the best thing any group can do is find a place,fortify it, and rebuild for a better future.

Ditto, as the saying goes, there's no ideal spot in survival. The motel had two of the biggest things; water and shelter. Hell, the area did have food, it's just that the group evidently sucked at hunting and didn't even seem to bother with trapping, atleast judging by Episode 2... by the end of that episode, the St. Johns Dairy was also another potential source of food (what with the corn fields) that they could've returned to.

Scavenging isn't a long-term solution, period. The low-hanging fruit in that regard is going to be gone within the first six months to a year, if that. Nobody's making deliveries and restocking store shelves, and every still-living person is after the same stuff.

• @DreadMagus said: At a motel?

Let's review... it's on the edge of a large town and surrounded by woods... they have no means to support themselves except for scavenging said town (which got pretty slim come the three month mark)

If they'd had stayed at the motel - the only thing they'd have ended up building are burial plots.

The motel was never breached by walkers, the bandits were the real threat if not for them who knows how long they would have lasted. But im not saying the motel was where they could live forever but it was the best option at the time,better then heading to the unknown in Savannah. But in the long run the group would have to find a better place,maybe somewhere like the ST Johns in the countryside.

• @Crixus said: The motel was never breached by walkers, the bandits were the real threat if not for them who knows how long they would have lasted. But im not saying the motel was where they could live forever but it was the best option at the time,better then heading to the unknown in Savannah. But in the long run the group would have to find a better place,maybe somewhere like the ST Johns in the countryside.

I doubt they would have lasted very long after ep. 2 even if the bandits weren't there. They were already starving and possibly the only reason they survived was because they found the station wagon full of food. The surrounding area in the Motor Inn was picked clean, so staying there in ep.3 would most likely just result in the group being forced to live on scraps until they starve(or leave), which they were already doing in ep. 2.

I'd follow the idea of settling down in an area until all of its food supply has been exhausted, then pick up and move elsewhere. Rinse and repeat until we find someone who knows how to farm or learn it ourselves.

• @Mornai said: She probably was killed, but took down several guards as well. It's more likely Crawford did not know that you turn when dead if the brain is intact, and were taken by surprise when the corpses they piled up assaulted them from behind.

It seems very unlikely to me that the people of Crawford didn't know that people turned upon death. The undead barricade was atleast partly made up of Crawford's "burdens", Crawford was killing their own prior to its fall... I doubt they would've failed to put two and two together when the wall of bodies started moving. Likewise, Vernon's reaction to a potentially dead Omid (shouting at Christa to stay away from him) would suggest the Crawford residents should've known, particularly considering they killed the other members of Vernon's group.

I doubt they would have lasted very long after ep. 2 even if the bandits weren't there. They were already starving and possibly the only reason they survived was because they found the station wagon full of food. The surrounding area in the Motor Inn was picked clean, so staying there in ep.3 would most likely just result in the group being forced to live on scraps until they starve(or leave), which they were already doing in ep. 2.

I'd follow the idea of settling down in an area until all of its food supply has been exhausted, then pick up and move elsewhere. Rinse and repeat until we find someone who knows how to farm or learn it ourselves.

They had the St. Johns' Dairy and its corn fields as a source of food after Ep. 2. It's obviously within walking distance of the motel, and even though it had been overrun, the zombies would probably leave eventually, the fields were big enough and the zombies dumb enough that even if they did stick around, you could lead them to other parts of the property or away from it entirely while the rest of the group gathered what was needed or wanted.

• @Crixus said: The motel was never breached by walkers, the bandits were the real threat if not for them who knows how long they would have lasted. But im not saying the motel was where they could live forever but it was the best option at the time,better then heading to the unknown in Savannah. But in the long run the group would have to find a better place,maybe somewhere like the ST Johns in the countryside.

No.

The real threat was disease, infection and lack of food/water.

Which by episode 2 they were lacking. When half an apple, some jerky and some cheese and crackers... 4 food items for a group that large.... represents one whole day's rations..... you've got one foot in the grave already.

• @Rommel49 said:
    They had the St. Johns' Dairy and its corn fields as a source of food after Ep. 2. It's obviously within walking distance of the motel, and even though it had been overrun, the zombies would probably leave eventually, the fields were big enough and the zombies dumb enough that even if they did stick around, you could lead them to other parts of the property or away from it entirely while the rest of the group gathered what was needed or wanted.

You mean the dairy that was overrun by a very large horde of walkers that DO NOT leave an area unless lured by something?

And which farmer, in the group, is going to maintain those fields?

Even if you have a farm, if you don't know how to run it... it's as useful as a parking lot once all the food is gone.

• @Rommel49 said: It seems very unlikely to me that the people of Crawford didn't know that people turned upon death. The undead barricade was atleast partly made up of Crawford's "burdens", Crawford was killing their own prior to its fall... I doubt they would've failed to put two and two together when the wall of bodies started moving. Likewise, Vernon's reaction to a potentially dead Omid (shouting at Christa to stay away from him) would suggest the Crawford residents should've known, particularly considering they killed the other members of Vernon's group.

I can recall one brief line from Molly that hints at the barricade being Crawford remnants, but i don't think it's directly stated that they kill the people. Rather, they simply force them to leave(evidenced by the Anna Correa video), and they die on their own by starvation/walkers/etc. Since they throw out anyone who is too young, too old, has an illness, is pregnant or anything that could potentially make them weak, it seems unlikely they would see death within their own community. Also, they could assume that the zombified people they previously exiled were merely bitten by other walkers, and didn't turn on their own.

I'm not sure how long Vernon and his group had been away from Crawford, but they could have learned it themselves while down in the sewers. Since walkers are already down there maybe they watched people come down there trying to hide, then die and turn. Or the people tried to force their way into the hideout and Vernon shot and killed them in the torso or other non-brain area, and witnessed them turning.

Since it took Lee's group 3 months to learn this, it doesn't seem like it would be common knowledge to everyone.

• @aguyuno said: Find a park and start planting things. I'm sure a nearby grocery would have some seeds of some sort if you want to clear it out, and I doubt people would take that because why would they? They're all going for small time fixes.

That really sounds a lot easier than it really is. How long does it take for crops to grow? Can you conserve them if you get a lot? How many square meters of field do you need per person? How dependent will you be on the crops? If someone loots your crops, will you die then? What will you do during the winter?

Move around and loot to survive is a good option until you have so much stockpiled you can afford to take a risk staying.

• @DreadMagus said: You mean the dairy that was overrun by a very large horde of walkers that DO NOT leave an area unless lured by something?

And which farmer, in the group, is going to maintain those fields?

Even if you have a farm, if you don't know how to run it... it's as useful as a parking lot once all the food is gone.

First, Molly tells us that Walkers will move back into an area when she lures them away with bells, so they'll move on their own. Further, walkers are dumb enough to be lured by damn near anything, they could've left the farm the instant they saw lightning on the horizon. Hell, this is why I included the possibility of needing to do it.

And considering agriculture is pretty much one of the oldest human technologies, I'm pretty sure one of them can figure it out. Even if people didn't do useful things like say, write information down in books.

We know scavenging isn't a long-term solution of any sort. Savannah had already been picked clean by the time the group got there.

@DreadMagus said: I can recall one brief line from Molly that hints at the barricade being Crawford remnants, but i don't think it's directly stated that they kill the people. Rather, they simply force them to leave(evidenced by the Anna Correa video), and they die on their own by starvation/walkers/etc. Since they throw out anyone who is too young, too old, has an illness, is pregnant or anything that could potentially make them weak, it seems unlikely they would see death within their own community. Also, they could assume that the zombified people they previously exiled were merely bitten by other walkers, and didn't turn on their own.

I'm not sure how long Vernon and his group had been away from Crawford, but they could have learned it themselves while down in the sewers. Since walkers are already down there maybe they watched people come down there trying to hide, then die and turn. Or the people tried to force their way into the hideout and Vernon shot and killed them in the torso or other non-brain area, and witnessed them turning.

Since it took Lee's group 3 months to learn this, it doesn't seem like it would be common knowledge to everyone.

Vernon talks about how the Crawford residents rounded up members of his support group and killed them before he and the other survivors left. Brie even says that shooting Lee in the head would be more than anybody from Crawford ever did for them, etc. Vernon says showing up at Crawford with Omid would be the same as throwing a noose around his neck.

Lee's group is actually probably the anomaly in that they didn't know (all of the deaths their group sustained up to that point involved walkers). Ben's group knew, Vernon's group apparently knew... considering Crawford's people killed their own, I don't see how they wouldn't have known.

• @Rommel49 said: First, Molly tells us that Walkers will move back into an area when she lures them away with bells, so they'll move on their own. Further, walkers are dumb enough to be lured by damn near anything, they could've left the farm the instant they saw lightning on the horizon. Hell, this is why I included the possibility of needing to do it.

No - they move when they see "or" hear something that triggers their "interest". That is established setting lore. And they keep moving until something stops them or distracts them.

That's how you end up with herds that follow trains for miles and miles and miles... even when they can't see or hear said train anymore.

And considering agriculture is pretty much one of the oldest human technologies, I'm pretty sure one of them can figure it out. Even if people didn't do useful things like say, write information down in books.

Assumption.

Add Comment