User Avatar Image

A Clementine Death

posted by TJPguy on - last edited - Viewed by 568 users

Okay so this thread is either going to create discussion or make me a very hated member ;)

I brushed upon this in another thread where there were a couple of responses, however I wanted to look into it further.

Would anyone here have been interested to see at least an alternate choice-based ending where Clem dies? Either instead of Lee or along with Lee... that's not too important.
Purely for emotional reasons - I adore Clementine of course. But I've got to say I desperately wanted an ending where she had a full, story based death (as opposed to her 'game over' ones :L). I wanted to see what TellTale could do if they made the most saddening ending with a Clem death as possible.

If you're one of the people who say they would hate TellTale if they killed Clem and would refuse to play any more - is there any reason beyond just really liking Clem? It seems a very extreme response. Even more extreme than Cry's playthrough of the ending :p

Imagine Season 2 doesn't come into this at all, as it would naturally mess it up. I ask as if Season 1 was a stand alone project.

I'll also put this as a poll out of curiosity, for a canon Clem death, alternate one or as it is now :)

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There wouldn't be much left for the game to go with if Clementine died, assuming Lee would still perish as well (Lee's dynamic would be thrown in the trash if Clem died though...). Yeah, yeah we have season two characters but really I'd at least like some of the season one feel to still be there, and Clem is the best character to express those feelings.

I can see Clementine's death getting some heavy negative backlash from fans as well. Not only because she's so beloved, but it would also make all those choices with Clementine, to mold her if you will, pointless.

• I'd sooner kill you than Clementine.

• I have a funny feeling i know which option's going to win the poll. :p

On a serious note, Clem dying would have just been awful, she's the only little bright thing left in the world by the games end. People are going to react pretty angrily to this i reckon.

Obviously i dont wan't clem to die, how could anyone, but that's not at all to say i think she should have some invincible armor in the future. Horrible things happening is what the series is all about. I cant really worry about Clem if i know for a fact they won't have the balls to kill her off. So she can only live so long and still have the same effect on me.

• She can die.. just not until she's an old woman :)

• @The Fallen said: I have a funny feeling i know which option's going to win the poll. :p

On a serious note, Clem dying would have just been awful, she's the only little bright thing left in the world by the games end. People are going to react pretty angrily to this i reckon.

Obviously i dont wan't clem to die, how could anyone, but that's not at all to say i think she should have some invincible armor in the future. Horrible things happening is what the series is all about. I cant really worry about Clem if i know for a fact they won't have the balls to kill her off. So she can only live so long and still have the same effect on me.

Killing off Clementine wouldn't be a financially sound decision for them to make.

• When they are sure they cant make another game... thats when Clem can die

• @Riadon said: Killing off Clementine wouldn't be a financially sound decision for them to make.

They'd be a backlash for sure, and some people would be pissed and maybe even refuse to buy the next episode or series, but whether it would be the death of the series would probably depend on how good the other stories telltale have to tell are and if they can keep the majority emotional invested without her.

• @The Fallen said: I have a funny feeling i know which option's going to win the poll. :p

I certainly hope for good things for Clementine, but I like to stay realistic. I don't see a happy future for her at all. If the series continues to follow her, then I can say that the ultimate ending will involve her dying, whatever season that may be. Even worse, is what can happen to her in the meantime...

Let's say... a standard supply run goes horribly wrong. Clem gets bit on the leg. If she wants to live, someone has to hack it off right then and there. She may not die, but she is now irrevocably crippled. The audience is going to feel that one a lot more than Lee's death, I figure. So many players didn't care what misery they inflicted on Lee (starving, dismemberment, chaining to a radiator and left to die, etc.) so long as Clem was safe. All misfortune she suffered was in other people around her getting hurt and dying. If such things were to happen to her instead... I shudder to think of the reactions.

Be prepared, people. S*** was rough in season 1. S*** can only get rougher in season 2, or else the series will die. If season 2 is more upbeat than its predecessor, it won't have the same impact.

• Clem dying, be it in this game or the next one, would make the first season pretty insignificant in terms of what was trying to be accomplished. The main objective for the first season was caring for this little girl and giving her the tools and knowledge necessary towards living in a world full of Walkers, bandits, and pyschopaths.

Lee's death was a good plot point not only because of the emotional significance it plays in the story, but because Lee made sure Clem had a fighting chance in this world even if he passes away. If Clem just dies, it really detracts from all the great moments from the first season such as teaching her how to shoot and advising her how to best stay safe going forward because it would seem pointless is she is going to get killed.

I understand that Walking Dead attempts to include kernels of realism with its notions of death, but it is still a game at the bottom of it all; a game needs to entertain and needs to have a good end goal accomplished. If the game just has an end goal that is undone later, it makes the whole journey seem like a waste from a gameplay perspective.

The next games won't precede further than the comic book canon as of now (only two-three years from the date of the outbreak), so I hope Clem keeps living throughout these games unless Telltale is somehow allowed to jump years and years into the future; then it wouldn't be as bad if an adult Clem dies for a good cause and protect someone innocent. As of now though, I think Clem should stay alive to ensure that Lee's efforts and ultimate sacrifice and, by extension, our own choices and efforts, truly paid off in the end.

• No... Clemmy clue...! Anybody that gets between me and her, is gonna end up dead!!!
    Even you TGPGuy. Fear the $. Anyway :D Clementine is the new Morgan Freedman, you can't kill a god -_-. Bad juju. If she died who would give me evil looks and criticize me whenever I make a dick move? And Lee is gone, she is needed to preserve season 1 and Lee's essence! Everything needs a bright side, and the bright side to TWD game is Clementine. End of discusion.

Add Comment