User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 177K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: You're the entire mod team now.

Not yet... but I think we've lost Silverwolfpet, who hasn't shown his face for a full 14 days now. I blame Ubisoft.

@Secret Fawful said: why bother with a PS4 when you can just build an equivalent PC for a similar price
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/

It IS weird. After all, the PS4 is PC architecture - and of course we take a very close look at the system's inside as we still don't yet know what its outside actually looks like (Apple must be laughing their butts off).

@Secret Fawful said: Have you ever seen the "crap hardware" that is in a 360 or PS3 and wondered why games that run on those consoles simply do not run on a PC with the same specs?

"Wondered", no. The main problem is that AAA games are usually programmed on and for console, then they get badly ported for PC. The true gaming potential of present PC hardware will only become apparent...

...with the PS4. Le sigh.

@Secret Fawful said: My heat keeps breaking down. I've been filling bottles with hot water and refilling them every 3-4 hours just to keep from freezing. I have to sleep with my head under the covers and get up to refill the bottles several times a night.

The landlord says he thinks it's fixed for good now, but... I'm not sure I believe him.

All the best for your heating... winter feels unusually long here in Germany this year. Global warming will make sure it'll lose those teeth eventually. But it's more of a nuisance than anything else, as I've got exceptional resistance against the cold (while heat is my kryptonite...).

• @thestalkinghead said: well that article was more a vague comparison than an actually saying it was the same, but you could build a PC that could do what the PS4 does for a similar price and save money on games and have a larger selection of games.

also you can compare the specs if you go into detail about the specs not just the superficial labels like "8 gig of ram" there is more to it than that if you look into it, and obviously on a fixed machine you can optimise better so you could get better performance from comparable hardware from a console, but i really hate the myth that you have to spend thousands to be able to play games on a PC, you can spend thousands if you want, but for most games (especially because of console bias developement) you can play them on full settings with an affordable PC

Do you think the average consumer wants to build their PC?

• The average consumer also doesn't care about the PS4 announcement, most of it's features, nor the specs included. They will just care about the games when they come out.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Johro said: The average consumer also doesn't care about the PS4 announcement, most of it's features, nor the specs included. They will just care about the games when they come out.

As has been with every console, always. ;)

• I'm in that category.

• I think this "share" button lies somewhere in the bizarre to bad idea department. Let's be honest, what will most of the online community use it for? Oh you know it, glitches and other fuck ups. Great advertisement for the initial compete. They better beat Xbox to it's release.

• I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead.

• @Jennifer said: It's weird that they don't allow the sale of Kinder Surprise in the United States because of a ban on non-edible items being in confections, but they allow the sale of King Cakes that have little plastic babies hidden inside of them.

I thought the same thing, but King Cakes are Made In The U.S.A. (tm), so not subject to importation laws. Or they could be illegal, but nobody bothers to enforce it, as there's not just one big company they could go after.

Banning confections that aren't entirely edible would have some interesting side effects, just as banning wedding cakes with a bride and groom on the top, unless the bride and groom were made edible. Now that would be interesting.

• @Johro said: The average consumer also doesn't care about the PS4 announcement, most of it's features, nor the specs included. They will just care about the games when they come out.

well that is a good reason to get a PC because there are only a few games that are exclusive to playstation whereas there are loads of games that are only for PC and loads more to choose from overall, and a few games defiantly isn't worth the purchase of an expensive console

• @thestalkinghead said: well that is a good reason to get a PC because there are only a few games that are exclusive to playstation whereas there are loads of games that are only for PC and loads more to choose from overall, and a few games defiantly isn't worth the purchase of an expensive console

I bought the PS3 solely for Metal Gear Solid 4. If Metal Gear Solid is a PS4 exclusive il need to buy one for it again.

This discussion has been closed.