User Avatar Image

Less of the living, more of the dead in S2

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 510 users

Something I noticed while flipping through the latest comic issue of THE WALKING DEAD is that the living tend to be a much greater threat to Rick's group than the actual zombies. Kirkman probably intended this to be ironic, but when story after story tends to be less about humans vs. zombies and more about humans just being assholes to one another, the title of the series starts becoming a little redundant.

Look, I get it: When the system goes belly-up, most people would probably exploit a lawless world to their own ends rather than trying to re-establish civilization. This isn't anything new in the zombie genre. Hell, the group in Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD basically fucked themselves over because they were unable to work together as a team.

But we're not dealing with a feature film, we're dealing with a story stretched out over multiple episodes. Having selfish/desperate humans act as the antagonists chapter after chapter can become even more depressing and dreary for the player than dealing with hordes of the undead.

I'd personally like to see the next season take place further along the WD timeline, where there are almost no living humans left (at least within driving distance) aside from your little group, and the only outside menace you need to worry about is the menace responsible for the apocalypse in the first place. It would make the atmosphere twice as intense and claustrophobic, IMO - almost more like Romero's original movies than anything made after 28 DAYS LATER.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • i think the best bits were when humans were the dangerous part, and that is basically the point of TWD "Fight the Dead. Fear the Living" if there were no living foes they would basically be completely safe except for the risk of a massive herd of zombies, so i actually think the opposite, i think more living people in season 2 would be better

• Respectfully i gotta disagree, I prefer the human antagonists alot more than just the walkers. In season 2 i hope that there will be a group like Woodbury or Negans Group which we go against, perhaps have an episode where both groups are having a huge battle and due to all the noise and gunshots a herd comes and both groups get caught up in the herd and it will be complete chaos! :D But yeah I want the main antagonist/s in season 2 to be Humans and not Walkers.

• I like having human antagonists, and when you think about it, it's more realistic that way. Zombies are slow, unintelligent, and can only kill if they get right on top of you. Once they've survived and lived in the zombie apocalypse humans would be able to set themselves up pretty nicely and be able to handle the zombies relatively easily. The more time passes, the less of a threat zombies are.

Other humans, on the other hand, are a much bigger threat. They are capable of deception, they can work in groups, they can harm you from much longer distances, etc. I still want zombies to be a real threat in S2 (and I'm sure they will be), but I'd love to see either a person or another group show up and cause problems for us.

• Zombies don't make a good antagonist over a long period of time. You need that human element. And I think it being a series rather than an hour and a half movie, makes that need for a human antagonist even greater.

• User Avatar Image
    zjs

It's a quintessential characteristic of The Walking Dead, so it won't be changing for any game or future game.

That said, I do agree somewhat. People like the bandits are believable: those who leech off others, abandon rules in the style of Lord of the Flies and often seemed like people who would have previously been pretty undesirable anyway. I can understand the motivation of those such as The Governor - to some extent - in the idea of protecting one's group at all costs.

However, I really don't think the majority of people would be quite so antagonistic to normal, civilisation establishing, groups as much as they are in TWD. Walkers are a problem when they're not in hordes; so the perceived lack of danger is a falsity.

Take the St John brothers. It made for a great storyline, and they were well written, but it was a bit like... really? Already? Cannibalism made sense in the world of The Road, where the Sun no longer shone, years had passed and nothing really survived or grew. A few months after the apocalypse, in pastured land with a warm climate, with plenty of Sun, rain and room for farming as it was A FARM made the turn to cannibalism pretty unbelievable. They did it, ostensibly, to keep giving food to the bandits, but I'm sure growing vegetables, collecting eggs and perhaps killing animals like chickens would have been far, far, easier.

• Kirkman has intended that the whole idea of The Walking Dead is that the living are more dangerous than the zombies. Because of this, TWD focuses more on human drama rather than zombie action.

Having said that, that's the entire reason why I hated episode 4. It focused mostly on zombie action rather than human drama. In general, Telltale did a good job of balancing out the human drama and zombie action during season 1. I'd like it to stay that way for season 2.

• @zjs said: It's a quintessential characteristic of The Walking Dead, so it won't be changing for any game or future game.

That said, I do agree somewhat. People like the bandits are believable: those who leech off others, abandon rules in the style of Lord of the Flies and often seemed like people who would have previously been pretty undesirable anyway. I can understand the motivation of those such as The Governor - to some extent - in the idea of protecting one's group at all costs.

However, I really don't think the majority of people would be quite so antagonistic to normal, civilisation establishing, groups as much as they are in TWD. Walkers are a problem when they're not in hordes; so the perceived lack of danger is a falsity.

Take the St John brothers. It made for a great storyline, and they were well written, but it was a bit like... really? Already? Cannibalism made sense in the world of The Road, where the Sun no longer shone, years had passed and nothing really survived or grew. A few months after the apocalypse, in pastured land with a warm climate, with plenty of Sun, rain and room for farming as it was A FARM made the turn to cannibalism pretty unbelievable. They did it, ostensibly, to keep giving food to the bandits, but I'm sure growing vegetables, collecting eggs and perhaps killing animals like chickens would have been far, far, easier.

i agree that people would get along more than TWD says they would in real life, but i think once large groups formed there could be conflict due to limited resources/territory between two big groups, like how people get along well inside woodbury but a rival group is a threat to their well being.

and maybe it was a bit quick to turn to cannibalism but i think Danny St. John was a bit sick in the head before the apocalypse, so he may have quickened the families decision to do it

• I liked humans being about as much or more dangerous than humans, it makes a more interesting storyline. But hey, it ain't for everyone, and I admit I wish there was a little more action throughout the season, it can be less than episode 4, but a little more than episode 3 each episode. Eh, shouldn't complain though, I loved season 1 so I can't say I'd hate it otherwise

• I can see the OP's point. For the comic and TV series, I think the point that people are the real threat is basically a dead horse. We get it: a lot of people will do nasty things in the absence of law and order. At the same time, it's hard to tell a good story without human antagonists. Zombies are great for a feature film, but for something that last longer like a whole series, they are too dumb to be an interesting enemy even if sometimes they share similar goals with people (i.e. need food).

So yeah, I agree that the TWD's whole premise isn't really new, shocking, or even refreshing at this point but it's also what keeps it interesting.

However, I will say that it does bug me that good people get screwed over constantly without a break. I mean just look at the game, all the good characters except Clem are dead because of others. Yes, I get it the TWD is supposed to be all grim dark, but the darkness isn't very realistic. Like others have said, a lot of people won't be as antagonistic as TWD claims. But it's one of those unrealistic features that is needed to keep the entire franchise going. It's kinda like Star Trek where all shit in the universe is always thrown at Enterprise to the point people should wonder, "Man, wtf is up with their bad luck?"

• I like humans being the antagonists. Personally, I'd like a "Governor" type character to be the main antagonist of Season 2, someone we know is actively trying to kill us/take what we have. Not like the walkie dude who we only got a few bits of before the very end, but someone who we have seen, know who they are, and know that they want us dead.

Add Comment