User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • True that Jaded. I've played the game enough to see that pattern. Ungrateful biatch xD

• I have to admit, after a couple of playthroughs, Lilly struck me as being her father's daughter...in more ways than one.

• @Robert Morgan said: I have to admit, after a couple of playthroughs, Lilly struck me as being her father's daughter...in more ways than one.

yeah, i don't think she was a completely horrible person, but she would have needed a lot of help and guidance to actually be a team player and show the potential she had as a badass group member that actually has a heart and some compassion

• @Jaded X Gamer said: The high road? Abandoning six people to die? Most of which who put their lives on the line to keep her ass alive. Two of which were children. (She didn't know Duck was bitten.) That's bullshit. The high road would have been leaving the R.V. She wants to run away? I understand. On my first play through when she got loose and said she's leaving, I told her to go. I didn't want her in the group, she didn't want to be in the group anymore. Fine. It's broad day light, there's no walkers in the immediate area, she'd have a chance.

But then she has to go and take the R.V. too, put everyone else's lives in danger because she's a fucking coward. Hey, have you ever counted how many walkers Lilly kills onscreen? Here, I'll give you guess. It rounds up to ZERO. That's because she never puts herself at risk. It's why she didn't want to leave the drug store, why she didn't want to leave the Motor Inn despite having no way to deal with methed up rapists attacking us, it's why Ben is on watch instead of her in episode three since there's people shooting back now. And it's why she takes the R.V. She's a fucking scared little girl, just like Carley said. Just wanted to snuggle up with her daddy in her hidey hole while everyone else died to keep safe.

You really think she gave a shit about the woman in the streets in episode three? The first time you meet her she was yelling at Carley and Glenn for not letting FIVE people get eaten in the same street outside the same pharmacy. She was just picking a fight with Kenny. Had Kenny shot that girl she probably talk about she's not surprised Kenny jumped at the opportunity to shoot someone in the head. It's probably the same reason she objects to taking from the station wagon, to spite Kenny. She still does take from it though, even if Lee and Clementine refuse.

Lilly felt abandoned and lonely? Yeah, I agree, but it's her fault. Fucking months went by and she never even tried to make friends with anyone. She doesn't trust anybody because she refuses to. No matter what anyone says or does, she simply refuses to trust anyone under any circumstances (great trait for a leader to have by the way). So it's no wonder she's fucking sad and alone in the end, she brought it on herself.

Answer me this. Why does Lilly hate Carley? Why does she insist Carley's a traitor? What has Carley done to earn that? You talk to Carley before the bandit attack and she doesn't has anything against Lilly, she says she's worried about her for god's sake. There's no reason Carley and Lilly can't be friends except because of Lilly. She views Carley as the enemy, even though Carley really hasn't done anything to Lilly. The only reason I can think of is because once, way back in Macon, Carley disobeyed Lilly and saved five people's lives. People who in turn saved her father's life.

Carley didn't have any family in the group and she didn't wind up alone and abandoned, probably because she doesn't have the stunted social skills of a four year old and can make friends with people she's not related to. So does Doug and Mark. Fucking Christa gives you a speech about how she'll leave if she doesn't like what she sees, then ends up sticking around the whole time!

But if you need anymore proof that Lilly was out for no one but herself, just look at how she acts to Lee if he's supportive of her. You can agree with everything she says, take her side on everything and agree to come with her with when she takes the R.V., and she still ditches your ass the second you go to get Clementine. You could have proved yourself trustworthy to her a million times over, and she still doesn't trust you. If you agree to come with her she sounds shocked because she always assumes everybody is out to get here, and then leaves because she thinks you must be lying to her, even if you never have before.

Flip that around with Kenny and you get the opposite. If you always agree with Kenny and support every stupid thing he wants, he outright refuses to let Lee go after Clementine alone. If he's the only one he tells Christa and Omid to take the boat and if they don't make it back by nightfall to leave without them. Kenny can be selfish asshole a lot of the time and does some supremely stupid shit over the course of the story, but he's not Lilly. If you treat Kenny like shit he ditches you, only the come around later when you get back. You treat Lilly badly, she tells you she was thinking of killing you when your back was turned.

Lilly is an amoral sociopath who only sees people as tools to be used to protect herself. You can blame Larry's shitty parenting for fucking up his daughter's life, but even Larry once showed he can make friends when he charms Brenda St. John. That's one more instance of trying to get along than Lilly ever demonstrated. And Lilly's not fucking five, she's a grown woman. Larry said it himself, she can make her own friends. She chose not to, and in the end she's surprised she's alone? Fuck her.

The ironic thing is if Lilly was just ever so slightly a better person, she'd probably would have ended up with the R.V. anyways. Telltale could have changed the scene where she escapes to have Lee talk her down if they were on good terms. Once the train was working Kenny ditched the R.V. and most definitely wouldn't want Lilly on the train with them. So the natural solution would be to leave Lilly and the R.V. behind. But that's not what happened, because Telltale decided that's not the kind of person Lilly is. She's not the kind of person who ever considers other people's lives before her own.

Sorry for these long rants. It's just I've played the game from the start to finish like ten times and if I've noticed one constant, it's Lilly doesn't care about anyone but her and her father. From Episode one to episode three. It's always about her and her father. She always insists otherwise, but her actions speak louder. I think part of the reason she liked her father is he made her look better by comparison. He can act like an asshole and do unpopular shit and then she can back peddle and pretend like she disagrees when he's not around so she doesn't look like the bad guy. But it's just an act. Once Larry's gone she ends up doing even worse than what he did.

No amount of hugging is going to change that about Lilly, she's always going to be that way. How Kenny, Ben and even to an extent Christa treats Lee can change if you change. Not Lilly for the most part. Best case scenario your a useful tool, worst case scenario you're the evil serial murderer who killed her dad. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a whole of difference between the two in Lilly's eyes. :(

You make a compelling argument. I've got nothing to say about it. :D

One thing I am unclear about is why didn't Lee tell Lilly that it was in fact Carley, who asked him to check out on the stolen supplies issue?

I always wonder if that'd at least convince Lilly of Carley's innocence!

• @AnekiGX said: You make a compelling argument. I've got nothing to say about it. :D

One thing I am unclear about is why didn't Lee tell Lilly that it was in fact Carley, who asked him to check out on the stolen supplies issue?

I always wonder if that'd at least convince Lilly of Carley's innocence!

Oversight on the writer's part probably. It could have easily replaced the "Carley's trustworthy" option. All though I'm convinced it would have made no difference to Lilly. She would have just said "That proves nothing!" and then probably accuse Lee of being in on it with Carley.

• @Jaded X Gamer said: Oversight on the writer's part probably. It could have easily replaced the "Carley's trust worthy" option. All though I'm convinced it would have made no difference to Lilly. She would have just said "That proves nothing!" and then probably accuse Lee of being in on it with Carley.

Yeah, she'd probably have made the point that it was just to lead suspicion off her or something. Something stupid. I also thought about that though. I wish you could have at least stopped Carley from yelling at Lilly, as much as it was deserved, she didn't have to die for it.

• @Mark$man said: Yeah, she'd probably have made the point that it was just to lead suspicion off her or something. Something stupid. I also thought about that though. I wish you could have at least stopped Carley from yelling at Lilly, as much as it was deserved, she didn't have to die for it.

I really don't think there's anything reasonable anyone could have done to stop Lilly from killing Carley (other than letting Carley die in Macon, obviously). There was no reasoning with her. Lilly had it out for Carley and she wasn't going to be convinced otherwise. Carley smarting off to her probably didn't actually have jack shit to do with it, Lilly was going to shoot her no matter what anyone said.

When you bring Doug along and Lilly accuses Ben, Ben does nothing but cower before Lilly and she still tries to shoot him. Really don't think Carley being less defensive would have swayed Lilly. When Carley is in the group, Lilly never accuses Ben, she accuses both Ben and Carley. But Carley is always guilty in Lilly's eyes. Lilly even tells Ben everything will be fine for him if he just tells her that Carley did it. She just wanted the go ahead to get rid of Carley.

I have a feeling even if Ben confessed, Lilly still would have shot Carley is she was there. Ben could say "I did it!" and Lilly would be like "I knew it! You and Carley did it!" And Ben would deny Carley had anything to do with it and Lilly would just insist he was covering up for her and demand to know what she was giving him to sell out the group and so on and so crazy.

I think the reason Lilly hated Carley was just because she was jealous that people actually seemed to like Carley. To Lilly, Carley was the popular girl everyone wanted to hang around and it pissed her off. You notice how she asserts Ben hanging around Carley must be because he was in on it. Same thing happens if Lee says Carley is trustworthy. Lilly just couldn't stand that she does all the work (and by work I mean sitting on her ass complaining a lot) and Carley gets all the attention from the boys. :p

• lol maybe. She shot Ben because it is obvious he was guilty. Even with Carley it is obvious. She just hated Carley and wanted to get rid of two birds with one stone. It really pissed me off when she killed Carley though. I was so mad.

• So... what does this have to do with people hating Kenny? lol

Add Comment