User Avatar Image

A Clementine Death

posted by TJPguy on - last edited - Viewed by 613 users

Okay so this thread is either going to create discussion or make me a very hated member ;)

I brushed upon this in another thread where there were a couple of responses, however I wanted to look into it further.

Would anyone here have been interested to see at least an alternate choice-based ending where Clem dies? Either instead of Lee or along with Lee... that's not too important.
Purely for emotional reasons - I adore Clementine of course. But I've got to say I desperately wanted an ending where she had a full, story based death (as opposed to her 'game over' ones :L). I wanted to see what TellTale could do if they made the most saddening ending with a Clem death as possible.

If you're one of the people who say they would hate TellTale if they killed Clem and would refuse to play any more - is there any reason beyond just really liking Clem? It seems a very extreme response. Even more extreme than Cry's playthrough of the ending :p

Imagine Season 2 doesn't come into this at all, as it would naturally mess it up. I ask as if Season 1 was a stand alone project.

I'll also put this as a poll out of curiosity, for a canon Clem death, alternate one or as it is now :)

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Optional, choice based Clem death. Of course, liking Clem so much, I'd probably want Lee to have to fail pretty hard at almost everything in the season for it to occur, but still. If it's just one of those

A) Sacrifice Clem to live

or

B) Sacrifice self to save Clem

type choices, I wouldn't want it. I'd prefer it to be based on Lee's actions all the way through the season instead of a basic A or B dialogue choice.

• @TJPguy said:
    Purely for emotional reasons - I adore Clementine of course. But I've got to say I desperately wanted an ending where she had a full, story based death (as opposed to her 'game over' ones :L). I wanted to see what TellTale could do if they made the most saddening ending with a Clem death as possible.

A Clem death would change the way most people would look at the entire game. If people are complaining now that you're choices didn't matter... I can only imagine the backlash that would be here if everything you did to teach clem to survive was pointless because the writers said so.

If you're one of the people who say they would hate TellTale if they killed Clem and would refuse to play any more - is there any reason beyond just really liking Clem? It seems a very extreme response. Even more extreme than Cry's playthrough of the ending :p

I felt like Clem was my real daughter. If you think I'm sitting through a scene where Clem dies or continuing to play the game where the only reason I continued was removed, you would be dead wrong. Why would I? To continue the story of how depressing the world is? That isn't fun. Clem gave me a ray of hope in a dark dark world. She WAS the game for me, taking care of her was the game for me. You remove that and I couldn't care less about the rest of it.

Imagine Season 2 doesn't come into this at all, as it would naturally mess it up. I ask as if Season 1 was a stand alone project.

They already said to keep our save files. They will be continuing the story in one way or another.

I'll also put this as a poll out of curiosity, for a canon Clem death, alternate one or as it is now :)

In bold.

• @Advanced said: In bold.

Hmm sounds interesting ,and it would be cool, but... still wouldn't want Clem to die, just as Lee is still alive, handcuffed to the radiator, swinging the keys with his one hand singing to "take us back". That's what I'll be forced to if she dies.

• As long as it's part of an interesting story, I don't care one way or the other.

• @Riadon said: I'd sooner kill you than Clementine.

Ha ha same feeling dude

• @CarScar said: Not only because she's so beloved, but it would also make all those choices with Clementine, to mold her if you will, pointless.

That would make sense, especially for the people who perhaps look at story more than character attachment, thanks :)

@CarScar said: I'd sooner kill you than Clementine.

That is a beautiful sentiment, kind internet person

@CarScar said: I have a funny feeling i know which option's going to win the poll. :p

@CarScar said: They'd be a backlash for sure, and some people would be pissed and maybe even refuse to buy the next episode or series, but whether it would be the death of the series would probably depend on how good the other stories telltale have to tell are and if they can keep the majority emotional invested without her.

Oh yes, I had no doubt which option on the poll would go flying ahead but I couldn't leave it off :p I'm interested to see that it has gone to more of a 60/40 split (surviving in favour) for Clem at least having the optional death right now though, relieved I'm not alone at least!
    See now it may just be how my mind works, maybe I'm colder than most, but I literally can't get my head around why someone would refuse the next season because of it (apart from the previously mentioned 'storyline would be pointless' reason). I don't mean to insult anyone because I know that alternatively, they might not be able to get their head around me opting for a type of Clem death! I think that TT would've found a way to keep emotional investment without her somehow

@CarScar said: Be prepared, people. S*** was rough in season 1. S*** can only get rougher in season 2, or else the series will die. If season 2 is more upbeat than its predecessor, it won't have the same impact.

That is a fair point!

• @darknessofheart said: I understand that Walking Dead attempts to include kernels of realism with its notions of death, but it is still a game at the bottom of it all; a game needs to entertain and needs to have a good end goal accomplished. If the game just has an end goal that is undone later, it makes the whole journey seem like a waste from a gameplay perspective.

Thanks, I thought this paragraph probably put it in the best perspective without going into Clem attachment :D

@darknessofheart said: No... Clemmy clue...! Anybody that gets between me and her, is gonna end up dead!!!
    Even you TGPGuy. Fear the $. Anyway :D Clementine is the new Morgan Freedman, you can't kill a god -_-. Bad juju. If she died who would give me evil looks and criticize me whenever I make a dick move? And Lee is gone, she is needed to preserve season 1 and Lee's essence! Everything needs a bright side, and the bright side to TWD game is Clementine. End of discusion.

Aha, fair play! I guess I am a rare gamer who doesn't want a bright side. I want to play just one game, once, which is sad but doesn't let up at all. No happy or hopeful ending, no favourite characters pulling through... but there we go~

@darknessofheart said: Optional, choice based Clem death. Of course, liking Clem so much, I'd probably want Lee to have to fail pretty hard at almost everything in the season for it to occur, but still. If it's just one of those

A) Sacrifice Clem to live

or

B) Sacrifice self to save Clem

type choices, I wouldn't want it. I'd prefer it to be based on Lee's actions all the way through the season instead of a basic A or B dialogue choice.

That's a really good idea in all fairness. Having it as an entire game mess up rather than A or B would make it a lot better and more fitting in a storyline sense.
    -Teach Clem how to shoot and cut her hair to survive in this world-
    .... Nope. *Walk away*

@darknessofheart said: In bold.

Right, here goes...
    Yeah, the first bit I've agreed with.

Second bit - You cover what I mean about extreme reactions. I'm not saying this harshly I promise, just my view on it :) But really, if your sole attractive element of gameplay is Clem - even if it is the main objective - then the game really hangs on a thread I would think. A good game would be one that works on many levels and has a few interesting plot points rather than just one that would kill the series if it unraveled. I felt that way about the daughter thing too - heck she's even reversed my feelings on kids. But it's because of that that I wanted that kind of ending. It's hard to explain and probably hard to understand, but having an extremely close character die is what gives me emotional satisfaction in a game, and makes it REALLY stick in my mind.

Third bit - I know about the second season and save files, it's why I asked for it to be disregarded for this discussion. I know it would mean there would be no connection between the seasons then, which wouldn't be the best.

@darknessofheart said: As long as it's part of an interesting story, I don't care one way or the other.

Pretty much my thoughts on it as well, plus the emotional side. Thanks :)

• @TJPguy said:

Aha, fair play! I guess I am a rare gamer who doesn't want a bright side. I want to play just one game, once, which is sad but doesn't let up at all. No happy or hopeful ending, no favourite characters pulling through... but there we go~

I can't say I wouldn'd be interested, but I would never let it happen. She was basically the central focus of the first season, preparing to become either a coldhearted, non-trusting badass, or be the innocent(in a sense), trusting, hopeful character, or even somewhere in-between.

And bro, that's harsh. I can't understand the point in having nothing but bad, nothing but sadness. If that was the case they'd all have committed suicide by now lol. I like how Telltale always keeps you on your toes and makes you think ahead, and how they make you like something just to rip it from your dead hands, but there has to be a limit; a line. You say that is only fairly dark, but it sounds colddddd mate lol. It would suck if everyone died, because there would be little point in playing. I don't mean a happy ending, but not an ending that everything goes wrong. It just wouldn't feel right for TWD to just keep handing out pink slips XP. I don't care if they keep slipping the rug from under my feet, but give them a fighting chance, let some people survive. Let there be hope. It's just my opinion.

• @TJPguy said: Aha, fair play! I guess I am a rare gamer who doesn't want a bright side. I want to play just one game, once, which is sad but doesn't let up at all. No happy or hopeful ending, no favourite characters pulling through... but there we go~

It's not a game, but you should check out the film series "The Human Condition". Over nine hours of every depressing thing you'd ever find in a war movie topped off with an ending that would seem utterly nihilistic if not for the fact that realistically it probably happened to countless people during the second World War. :(

And as for the topic at end, I was actually worried Telltale would kill off Clementine at the end of the game. Ever since the nightmare on the RV I realized it was a possibility. And since a lot of the game seems to emulate the experience of being a parent, I thought they might make you experience a parent's greatest fear, losing their child.

I voted canon death because if they were to do that, it seems like the kind of thing important enough to commit to. An optional death would feel like an elaborate game over. If they had done something like that, I'd picture it something like Clementine getting bitten instead of Lee and you have to go through the whole Duck thing with her now. And afterwards maybe there's a moment where Lee is thinking about killing himself, and he hears someone's voice over Clem's radio. Something to give him hope. Sorta like that scene in the T.V. show, but even more desperate.

Add Comment