User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.7K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I miss everything that left here.

Sigh. In summary, King's Quest is fucking dead for now, and maybe someday someone will resume it's zombie corpse. Until then, there's a bunch of other great games to play.

Bt

• King's Quest will never die.

And I think a new King's Quest game will come sooner than some of you think.

• @MtnPeak said: King's Quest will never die.

And I think a new King's Quest game will come sooner than some of you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

• Guys, you ARE kind of making it seem like you WANT KQ to stay dead, TT or not. Just the vibe I get from some. Like you're totally over it and would prefer it stay dead--even if a better company than TT was getting a try at it.

• Yeah, in some ways - I prefer it to stay dead. Some things are just meant to end.

Bt

• It will never be good ever again even if it does get a new game. I'd rather it stay dead. Yes, I said it. (no, Anakin, that has nothing to do with the fact that I worked on Sierra remakes and am "jealous" or "jaded") Look at Sonic the Hedgehog. That franchise has yet to get a game that even comes remotely close to the first four games. It's just one of those things that's just not possible unless they've got the same people (not just designers, but art directors, programmers, writers, genre and gameplay style, etc) working the same magic they did 20 years ago. An even that is hit and miss sometimes.

Yes, I am passed it. Let's just do new things (that are as good or better, please).

• Hey I actually like the first two Sonic Adventures games... Even if they are very different than the 2-d games...

• I disagree. I think KQ most certainly CAN come back, possibly even better than before. I will be to happy to see this. There are plenty of talented designers out there who can make it happen. There remains interest in the KQ brand, and, though it may not be a huge #1 blockbuster, a new KQ game can be a commercial success. Of all the classic adventure game series, King's Quest does remain one of the best known names.

You guys make it seem like the act of wanting a new KQ prevents one from playing and trying new games. Guess what, we can multi-task; we can advocate for a new KQ game while playing and trying out other games at the same time, believe it or not!

KQ games were always a lot of fun, and I am confident that the right development team can recapture that spirit of the original games.

What you naysayers should be asking yourselves is why you care that other people are hoping for a KQ comeback. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I have seen certain posters groan wearily when new KQ-related discussions are started in an, um, KQ discussion forum. It is a bit annoying to read comments expressing sentiments to the effect of "who cares?" and "I'm over it" as people are discussing the series. Yes, I understand that some, for a number of reasons, would rather no new KQ games be made, but it doesn't mean you have to always be a wet blanket on the discussions. Though, if that's the role you want to play, then be a wet blanket to your heart's content.

Three years ago who would have guessed that we'd be seeing a new LSL, a new Gabriel Knight, a new QFG-like game, possibly a new PQ-like game, etc. all within the span of a few years. Given the sustained interest in such games, I'd say the chances of there also being a new KQ (Sierra's flagship series), at some point, are pretty good. If the interest is there, the legal stuff will work itself out.

• [quote=mtnpeak;773153]i disagree. I think kq most certainly can come back, possibly even better than before. I will be to happy to see this. There are plenty of talented designers out there who can make it happen. There remains interest in the kq brand, and, though it may not be a huge #1 blockbuster, a new kq game can be a commercial success. Of all the classic adventure game series, king's quest does remain one of the best known names.

You guys make it seem like the act of wanting a new kq prevents one from playing and trying new games. Guess what, we can multi-task; we can advocate for a new kq game while playing and trying out other games at the same time, believe it or not!

Kq games were always a lot of fun, and i am confident that the right development team can recapture that spirit of the original games.

What you naysayers should be asking yourselves is why you care that other people are hoping for a kq comeback. Maybe i'm misinterpreting, but i have seen certain posters groan wearily when new kq-related discussions are started in an, um, kq discussion forum. It is a bit annoying to read comments expressing sentiments to the effect of "who cares?" and "i'm over it" as people are discussing the series. Yes, i understand that some, for a number of reasons, would rather no new kq games be made, but it doesn't mean you have to always be a wet blanket on the discussions. Though, if that's the role you want to play, then be a wet blanket to your heart's content.

Three years ago who would have guessed that we'd be seeing a new lsl, a new gabriel knight, a new qfg-like game, possibly a new pq-like game, etc. All within the span of a few years. Given the sustained interest in such games, i'd say the chances of there also being a new kq (sierra's flagship series), at some point, are pretty good. If the interest is there, the legal stuff will work itself out.[/quote]

+1000

• @Blackthorne519 said: Yeah, in some ways - I prefer it to stay dead. Some things are just meant to end.

Bt

KQ wasn't "meant" to end, though. The series just got screwed over by business people who felt the adventure genre was dead, and it got screwed over because the company who made KQ got screwed over. There are still plenty more stories that can be told, and with the adventure genre in a revival, I don't see why one shouldn't want another KQ game. Thinking it can never be as good again is just letting nostalgia blind you....Even your own project, KOS, looked KQ quality. All it takes is imagination, effort and some love and a KQ5 or KQ6 quality KQ game can be made.

This discussion has been closed.