User Avatar Image

KQ7 isn't really a "Roberta" game....

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

If you read through the credits of KQ7, you'll find Robera was barely involved in the game. The credits are rewritten here in the order they are in the booklet:

Designed by:
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Written by:
Lorelei Shannon

Directed by:
Andy Hoyos
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Producer:
Mark Seibert

Voice Director:
Lorelei Shannon

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hell, look at something like InterAction, where Ken Williams wrote his Presidents Corner column acting as "CEO" for about a year after he actually quit as CEO, or the fact that he presented himself in public and in press releases as Sierra's CEO as late as May '97 when he had quit in July '96.

Or is it the other way around, he really was a CEO, a Co-CEO. But he doesn't want people to actually remember that. Due to some shady things going on at the time.

I'm have my suspcions that Ken Williams even to this day sugar-coats or smooths over certain details.

I'm not exactly sure you can trust anything said then, or anything said now as fully accurate.

• @BagginsKQ said: Or is it the other way around, he really was a CEO, a Co-CEO. But he doesn't want people to actually remember that. Due to some shady things going on at the time.

I'm have my suspcions that Ken Williams even to this day sugar-coats or smooths over certain details.

I just think Sierra, even in his day, before CUC, was very concerned with image. Look at what Josh has said about the "star system"--wherein big name designers would get credit for others' work, to maintain that system. Who's to say that that wasn't the case with KQ7? Lorelei might've 99% of the game and design, with Roberta only pitching some VERY GENERAL ideas in the way of direction (IE, "The game should be done in Disney style art; Rosella and Valanice should be the protagonists; Edgar should return"). And then it was credited as being "co-designed" by Roberta....

Look at for example how SQ6 was promoted by Sierra as being Scott Murphy's "return", when he only designed the last bit of the game, with like 95% of the game already done by Josh Mandel, but as soon as he quit Sierra, the game was promoted as being basically a solo-Scott game.

• I don't think you can entirely trust anything said then, or anything said now...

In my own questions to various designers, or based on various interviews, or various forum posts, you get answers such as;

"it was a long time ago, I barely remember, I think it was like this" or the "maybe in hindsight that we didn't have at the time", blah blah.

Beyond that, I do think some of them are very 'image' oriented, even today, they don't want give a negative image on certain topics.

• My baseless speculation could beat up your baseless speculation.

• KQ7 hintbook btw, suggests that Roberta was the 'designer', and that Lorelei was the 'co-designer', in Lorelei's own words. She wrote the book.

• Yeah. In the end, who really gives a fuck?

Bt

• Why do you guys stick around here if:

A) You're "over" King's Quest and don't want anyone to ever make another KQ game?

B) You don't even like people discussing the old games, and have the attitude to "who gives a fuck?" about discussion of the old games.

It would just seem you're here at this point only to dampen the enthusiasm of anyone who wants a new KQ, TT or not. That you're just here to be negative about TT's game in order to ensure it never comes out, and to just spread negativity about any future KQ game in general, and to come down on anyone who feels like discussing the old games.

At first you guys claimed you were only against TT doing a new KQ and were open to a better company doing it, now you've made it clear you're against ANY new King's Quest game. I imagine your tune would change if your own group was offered the license. Makes me wonder if you spreading as much negative vibes and word of mouth about TT doing a KQ game as you did was just to get others to feel the game would suck, to ensure that no new KQ game was made.

Why stick around a forum made to discuss a series you hope is never revived and have no care in discussing the old games of?

• They enjoy living in misery, and want everyone to bask in that misery with them... It makes them happy if they make others feel miserable... They feed off the misery of others...

Kinda like energy vampires.

Energy-Vampire.jpgenergy-vampires.jpg

• No, not really. I like having conversations about King's Quest, but the shit that goes on here is ridiculous.

Bt

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Why do you guys stick around here if:

A) You're "over" King's Quest and don't want anyone to ever make another KQ game?

Not this again. I think we've made our point about this enough times.

Add Comment