User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Thinking it can never be as good again is just letting nostalgia blind you....Even your own project, KOS, looked KQ quality. All it takes is imagination, effort and some love and a KQ5 or KQ6 quality KQ game can be made.

Well said.

• Would you two like a moment alone?

• @BagginsKQ said: Hey I actually like the first two Sonic Adventures games... Even if they are very different than the 2-d games...

Yes, they are decent. The second one less so. Everything after that is trash, though. Still not as good as the first four.

I understand you guys really like King's Quest. But that doesn't mean there's going to be another good one. You just can't say that. Odds are that more than likely it'll be generic and stale. That's usually the way resurrecting an old franchise without rebooting it goes. And I'm just not interested in a reboot. Is it guaranteed? No, but it's likely. And I'm not willing to believe against all hope that it'll be the most amazing thing ever either. I've been down that road before, just wanting to like things just to support the franchise and making myself appreciate it. It's too much work. I've learned that it's better to just not get my hopes up and whatever happens happens. I'm over it.

• We're not getting a new LSL yet. We're getting a remake. We're not getting a new Gabriel Knight - we're getting Moebius. To be honest, I'm looking forward to new franchises rather than old ones rehashed. Again, I state - some things were meant to die. King's Quest may have suffered at the hands of bad management, but it died, nonetheless - and it should probably stay that way. If it had "lived", we'd have problem gotten games worse than Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: We're not getting a new LSL yet. We're getting a remake. We're not getting a new Gabriel Knight - we're getting Moebius. To be honest, I'm looking forward to new franchises rather than old ones rehashed. Again, I state - some things were meant to die. King's Quest may have suffered at the hands of bad management, but it died, nonetheless - and it should probably stay that way. If it had "lived", we'd have problem gotten games worse than Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

Bt

Except it really wasn't meant to die, though. The series never truly had a proper end. And given the chance, people can make KQ stories worthy of the original games. Your KOS project and Akril's stories are proof that. Akril took her stories all the way up to KQXI or XII, and those stories were damn good--all at least on par with KQ5. And that's just ONE person using their imagination.

Like I said, all you need is someone with talent and imagination and a love of the series and you could have a game on par with at least KQ5. If it had lived under the Zombie Sierra of post 1999, in the absolute nadir of Adventure Games, you're probably right as to what it would've been.

But Zombie Sierra is gone and Adventure Games are in a revival, they're not anywhere near the stagnate state they were in from around '99 to '08 or so--enough of a revival that Activision re-released many of the old games and did license KQ to TT.

I just think people shouldn't give up on KQ yet. Like I said, there's still many stories that can be told and many adventures yet to be had. You guys sound worn out because it's been so long and because you've been burned in the past...Well, it's been just as long for me and I've been burned with false hope before, but that hasn't led me to damn the series.

• I had Nintendo, and Mario games. I played Sonic at friends and relatives houses. I never really got into it like I did with the mario games. The mario games have always always been pretty consistent at offering something fun and enjoyable with each new offering. The challenge was generally consistent.

I've almost always been happy with the Zelda series too. It has imo done a good job of staying fresh. But keeping things similar enough that I don't have to relearn the series. Same with Metroid...

Sonic, I just never really got into. There was a different difficulty margin, and I suppose I never really fully understood the sega control scheme. I also hated that to really win the game you had to find every emerald... You only had limited continues, IIRC. The challenge seemed to jump between very easy, to parts that were tediously hard (pulled you out of the speed and put you into normal platforming). They looked impressive though, the speedy sections I mean. There wasn't the kinda super power options Mario games to make things easier, and balance things.

Keep in mind my experience with sonic is generally limited to the first two games... and the stupidly ridiculous difficult sega gamegear ones...

I suppose that's why I liked the sonic adventure games much better than anything before it. It was designed such that you had various characters with strengths and weaknesses that could balance out the difficulty of a level. You could play through levels multiple times with various characters to find secrets. Plus saving and loading worked out well. I could come back at any time, and continue at any time. The mission and story objectives were way more clear.

• Eh, sometimes things don't "get a good wrap up". That's life. There's a million movies out there that warranted sequels, but never got them. That's life.

I'm glad King's Quest went out and didn't degenerate into something horrible. There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere, you just want the King's Quest brand-name on them. That's lame branding love, not any kind of good story or game love.

Bt

• There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere

Well techinically stories of "King Graham" and other members of the Royal Family, or within the setting of Daventry cannot occur in other franchises, because that would be copyright infringement ;). Unless Activision wanted to start some kinda spinoff series...

• @Blackthorne519 said: Eh, sometimes things don't "get a good wrap up". That's life. There's a million movies out there that warranted sequels, but never got them. That's life.

I'm glad King's Quest went out and didn't degenerate into something horrible. There are so many more stories to tell, yes, in other games. The "stories" you speak of could happen anywhere, you just want the King's Quest brand-name on them. That's lame branding love, not any kind of good story or game love
    Bt

Again, the cynicism...Come on man.

In "other games"? The stories I speak of are KQ fan stories, many of which hit all the right notes and would translate to great KQ games. They're not just generic stories that could be applied to any game. It's not about name branding love.

Again, as I asked you before, if you're so against a new KQ game, so over it totally, why stick around here just to bug people who aren't?

• There's a ton more awesome tv shows that got canceled without a proper ending.

[quote]Again, as I asked you before, if you're so against a new KQ game, so over it totally, why stick around here just to bug people who aren't?[/QUOTE]

Again, stop with this stupid question.

This discussion has been closed.