User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.2K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: There's a ton more awesome tv shows that got canceled without a proper ending.

Again, stop with this stupid question.

Sometimes people don't just simply accept the shit ending, to be blunt. And just because new franchises are not KQ doesn't mean they'll be anywhere as good as KQ was. Nor will I likely come to love any of them as much as I came to love KQ over the course of that series.

It's really not a stupid question. You guys don't want a new KQ game, ever. You seem to look down on discussion of the old games at this point. You're "over" KQ. Why hang around?

That'd be like me saying I'm totally "over" my ex girlfriend while I'm standing outside her house every day and calling her every night, or calling her new boyfriend and telling him how shitty his relationship with her is going to be.

• KQ games are the very definition of generic stories. It's absolutely branding love. 100%. You just want to see something with the name "King's Quest" on it, and you're so ravenous for that silly name, right now - you'd take anything that came along with that label on it, diluting the pool. Restraint is the key word here - I do not wish for some lumbering, watered-down IP name applied upon a shitty game. Which I find a likely scenario. So, yes, I wish the series would stay dormant. My cynicism is not unfounded here - it's born out of respect for something.

Why stick around? Because I love King's Quest games, and they're a part of my history. I'm old enough to also know that some things should stay dead, lest they become some demon-infested version of their former self. This is why I stick around - and again, your question is tiresome.

Bt

• Good tv shows that end prematurely seem to get comic or novel revivals now adays... Oddly enough. Sometimes they get video game revivals...

• @Blackthorne519 said: KQ games are the very definition of generic stories. It's absolutely branding love. 100%. You just want to see something with the name "King's Quest" on it, and you're so ravenous for that silly name, right now - you'd take anything that came along with that label on it, diluting the pool. Restraint is the key word here - I do not wish for some lumbering, watered-down IP name applied upon a shitty game. Which I find a likely scenario. So, yes, I wish the series would stay dormant. My cynicism is not unfounded here - it's born out of respect for something.

Why stick around? Because I love King's Quest games, and they're a part of my history. I'm old enough to also know that some things should stay dead, lest they become some demon-infested version of their former self. This is why I stick around - and again, your question is tiresome.
    Bt

If KQ games are the very definition of generic stories, than "anything" could have something with the KQ label on it and be a KQ game in a true sense. Kind of a stupid point you made there. And the stories I've spoken of supporting--Akril's--are far from branding love, actually. I wouldn't take ANYTHING that came along with the name. I know what a KQ is, should and shouldn't be. We've had six great games and two games which were of either mixed or lesser quality depending on your POV.

The last two only were subpar because they were experiments, designed to meet changing game demographics and make the shareholders money. If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s. But that was a different time, and the adventure genre is in a stronger position than it was then.

While I have my own reservations about new games, I don't actively hope the series stays dead because a shitty entry might come along or try to discourage those who do want another entry in the series. I have respect for the franchise, but I'm not of the 'We have to destroy this village to save it' mindset.

Jaded cynicism and always thinking the worst will happen colors so many members of your generation, and I'll never understand why.

• Dude. We don't have to destroy the village. The village is GONE, and has been for years! No need to build a New, different village and call it the same thing!

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Dude. We don't have to destroy the village. The village is GONE, and has been for years! No need to build a New, different village and call it the same thing!

Bt

The ruins still stand, albeit they're decaying and are covered in moss, and can be rebuilt in good hands, but you just want to take a wrecking ball to the site to ensure that all that's left is rubble under dirt.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: We've had six great games and two games which were of either mixed or lesser quality depending on your POV.

Strong words right there...

The last two only were subpar because they were experiments, designed to meet changing game demographics and make the shareholders money. If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s.

More strong words, as they really didn't want to keep making the same type of adventure game.

But that was a different time, and the adventure genre is in a stronger position than it was then.

...depending on your POV.

While I have my own reservations about new games, I don't actively hope the series stays dead because a shitty entry might come along or try to discourage those who do want another entry in the series.

Exchange "might" with "will probably" and you'll be close to the truth, statistically. But go ahead and want a sequel! Nothing is stopping you! And if one comes out, go right ahead and try to enjoy it. If you do, awesome! If you don't, don't say we didn't warn you.

I have respect for the franchise, but I'm not of the 'We have to destroy this village to save it' mindset.

What about the "we should probably leave these graves alone rather than resurrect their rotting forgotten corpses". I'm not saying KQ is a terrible series nowadays (though most people would), I just don't want the same old thing too much.

Jaded cynicism and always thinking the worst will happen colors so many members of your generation, and I'll quite understand why.

Because we're old enough to realize that sometimes the same magic will just never come back. It's part nostalgia (a big slice of it, actually), part change of the times, part the same people who worked on it, part level of technology advancement....there's too many factors to get all right again. Just because it says King's Quest does not mean it's any good. What WE liked about King's Quest were these very specific formulas in all of these areas that worked together to cause lightning....lightning that probably won't strike the same way in the same level of vibrancy and excellence again.

But like I said, go ahead and want your new King's Quest.

@Anakin Skywalker said: The ruins still stand, albeit they're decaying and are covered in moss, and can be rebuilt in good hands, but you just want to take a wrecking ball to the site to ensure that all that's left is rubble under dirt.

Hahaha. Taking a wrecking ball to the site would be like trying to erase the original series from existence and pretend they never happened. No, we respect the ruins and want to leave them standing as a testament to their longevity. Rebuilding it isn't going to make it the same.

• [quote]If Roberta/Sierra had wanted, they could've easily created 10 more games with the same tone, spirit and style as KQ5-6, and while it would've pleased purists, it wouldn't have pleased the shareholders in terms of sales in the mid-late 90s.[/quote]

While many purists might have liked that... It probably would have killed the series anyways... As it would have probably driven people away, and had poor sales... Series that stay too stagnant and do not change at all, tend to die harder...

If a game fails to bring back the money that it cost to make the game in the first place, no company in their right mind will attempt to stick to the same dead end path... They ultimately will end up trying something different... Sometimes that is taking the franchise in a new genre direction, or in a new tone, or age rating even, other times it might mean a reboot...

That tends to anger purists, but sometimes does help bring in a new audience...

BTW, keep in mind that most critics hated KQ7, and wanted the series to end on KQ6... There arguement was that KQ7 was too much of the same thing... It was not much of a change from previous games... It offered nothing new... The series as a whole had 'stagnated'... They thought KQ7 was beating a dead horse...

• There's no ruins! There's memories and tributes set up at graves. That's it. I ain't interested in necromancy.

Bt

• Haha we both went in different directions with that metaphor...

Also, here's a fair observation. You're coming in here and asking these questions to KQ fans and trying to hold conversations....and we're the only ones here to reply, it seems. If there were more people who agreed with either of us they'd be here sharing their opinions too. I think the whole point on resurrecting King's Quest is moot based on that alone. If we were to "leave you" here to discuss things without "bugging" you, you'd be here all by yourselves. This forum would be dead. Which means that it is dead, because this isn't worthwhile conversation anyway.

Bottom line, you're stuck with us as we're the only ones who care one way or the other to post. At least we care. That's why we're here.

And yet, besides, I'll be gone once the new website/boards hit anyway.

This discussion has been closed.