User Avatar Image

KQ7 isn't really a "Roberta" game....

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.0K users

If you read through the credits of KQ7, you'll find Robera was barely involved in the game. The credits are rewritten here in the order they are in the booklet:

Designed by:
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Written by:
Lorelei Shannon

Directed by:
Andy Hoyos
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Producer:
Mark Seibert

Voice Director:
Lorelei Shannon

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: Not this again. I think we've made our point about this enough times.

My point is directed more at BT than you. But no, you actually haven't made your point about this. Only very recently have I seen you guys come out and say you don't want ANY new KQ game....beforehand most of you guys were against a TELLTALE KQ game.

• A while back I would have wanted one. Nowadays, I'm just happy to let it sit. It had its day in the sun. It was great and it's better as a fond memory. Bt is right, it could have been worse. It could have ended off with something as terrible as Magna Cum Laude or Box Office Bust like LSL did. It's time to break new ground and find a new series or franchise to fall in love with. Like pretty much all of the ex-Sierra designers have done on Kickstarter. They all started new projects. I think that's the way to go. Two Guys with SpaceVenture, Jane Jensen with Mobieus, The Coles with Rogue Hero U or whatever it is, etc. I'm just done with the past now. If I want to experience it I'll play the old games. I don't really think there's much more to be gained from a new game. If they do make a new game and it's awesome AWESOME! I'll totally jump on that bandwagon with the rest of you! But It's unnecessary. Furthermore, I don't think it's what we should be focusing on when it comes to games and new material. It's not a good headspace to be in. You become cynical of everything eventually (nothing's as good as the good old days!). Yes, I do think a lot of game devs have a long way to go to match what I consider the epitome of Sierra's adventure genre, but I'm not against new franchises. I used to reject all new games on that basis because my love for King's Quest and Space Quest was so strong and in my mind nothing could match them. I'm ready to move on. It took probably a decade, but I'm ready. Judging by your post in the other thread:

@Anakin Skywalker said: And just because new franchises are not KQ doesn't mean they'll be anywhere as good as KQ was. Nor will I likely come to love any of them as much as I came to love KQ over the course of that series.

...tells me you're already flirting with that point of view. Dangerous mindset to be in. You're stifling yourself in your taste. We will never see the best game ever because personally I still believe the human race has it within itself to always make a new and better thing. It hasn't happened much lately but every now and then it does. It's possible. And it doesn't have to have the name King's Quest on it.

I'm not saying I love all modern games. I still say they don't make them like they used to. But now we've got the guys who made games like they used to making new games! I want to see what else they can do...let the old things lie. Or at least don't be so adamant and passionate about it. If it comes it comes. If it sucks it sucks. If it's awesome it's awesome. Nothing you can really do about it, unless you want to design a new perfect King's Quest game yourself and pitch it to ActiVision and scrounge up a license. There's nothing you can do.

• Because, I'm against propping up a corpse to rely on it's good name. Any modern take on it is going to be some bloated display of a lack of insight, with the KQ name slapped on it. That's more insulting than letting something lie. Letting things be is the way of the world. Things are meant to end. All we get these days are shitty sequels - in games, movies, books. It's all so depressing.

Bt

• Hero U, is set in the Quest for Glory Universe... It is a sequel set some twenty years after the previous game in the series. Its apparently just avoiding using anything directly owned by Activision. They can get away with using anything with name derived from public domain though. It will have Silmaria though, apparently.

Its unclear but it looks like it will be more RPG than 'adventure', much like the previous game in the universe.

SpaceVenture may also be set in the Space Quest universe, it is unclear as of yet. Although it does appear it may have the Two Guys in it.

• Yet it's not Quest for Glory. It's not even the same genre.

• Hah, I talked to Corey Cole as far as he is concerned it is "Quest For Glory", they just don't have the rights to the name. He said it will have many things in common with the previous series. But like QFG5 it will be more action RPG than 'adventure'. That's how they wanted to do the series anyways, even the previous games, just technology was never up to their vision at the time.

What's interesting here though, is technically the Coles vision, and if Activision ever chooses do anything with the universe, could end up on divergent paths!

Kinda what happened somewhat with Fallout universe.

• It's still qualifies as something new by being a different genre.

• Kinda funny how it wasn't their vision, yet everyone loved it anyway.

Bt

• Yeah, it doesn't matter what they intended. The product speaks for itself. People love the product more than the person's vision in most cases. I wouldn't have given QFG a second thought if it was all RPG. I haven't given it much more than a couple glances and a bit of small talk as it is, but it just goes to show that that adventure half of the hybrid goes a long way. If they did get the rights to QFG and made this new game with that title, it would have probably not done as well.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Yeah, it doesn't matter what they intended. The product speaks for itself. People love the product more than the person's vision in most cases. I wouldn't have given QFG a second thought if it was all RPG. I haven't given it much more than a couple glances and a bit of small talk as it is, but it just goes to show that that adventure half of the hybrid goes a long way. If they did get the rights to QFG and made this new game with that title, it would have probably not done as well.

Exactly! Sometimes you don't get what you intend, but what comes out is better. Absolutely - if they tried to release a game entitled "Quest For Glory" with what they presented for Hero-U, people would have thrown cow-pies.

Bt

Add Comment