User Avatar Image

KQ7 isn't really a "Roberta" game....

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

If you read through the credits of KQ7, you'll find Robera was barely involved in the game. The credits are rewritten here in the order they are in the booklet:

Designed by:
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Written by:
Lorelei Shannon

Directed by:
Andy Hoyos
Lorelei Shannon
Roberta Williams

Producer:
Mark Seibert

Voice Director:
Lorelei Shannon

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Much like Roberta's "vision" for King's Quest, I don't really think the Coles understood why people loved their games. They certainly don't seem to grasp it if they think Hero U is going to satiate people's desire for more Quest For Glory.

• @Lambonius said: Much like Roberta's "vision" for King's Quest, I don't really think the Coles understood why people loved their games. They certainly don't seem to grasp it if they think Hero U is going to satiate people's desire for more Quest For Glory.

Only certain fan groups understand why people loved Sierra's games. Not even the original creators. Damn.

• What the purist/original fans want isn't always marketable... Sometimes the new generation of fans or 'potential customers' define the direction a series will take... Often to the chagrin of old time fans...

Oddly enough as Kickstarter has proven, people were willing to fund Hero-U even it isn't quite what they were expecting... I doubt it would have pulled in new fans, based on how kickstarter target audiences work...

• They're probably hoping that the Coles will at least provide a certain "Coles" mixture of comedy, art, gameplay style, storytelling, programming, etc (aka "something special", "magic") that they were responsible for with QFG. The real test here is to see if they still have that.

• @MusicallyInspired said: They're probably hoping that the Coles will at least provide a certain "Coles" mixture of comedy, art, gameplay style, storytelling, programming, etc (aka "something special", "magic") that they were responsible for with QFG. The real test here is to see if they still have that.

And my point/concern is that that "magic" isn't enough. I think the framework of the adventure/rpg hybrid is a big part of what made the formula work. The rest, what you just mentioned, is window dressing. Exaggeration? Of course. But the point is that it won't feel like QFG if it doesn't PLAY like QFG.

• Very probable. I'm just saying, that's probably what most people are looking at.

• @MusicallyInspired said: They're probably hoping that the Coles will at least provide a certain "Coles" mixture of comedy, art, gameplay style, storytelling, programming, etc (aka "something special", "magic") that they were responsible for with QFG. The real test here is to see if they still have that.

Yeah, exactly - the real test is to see if that have "that". It's very unproven to me, honestly - Hero-U did nothing to make me very excited. I hope I'm wrong, but the pitch for the project was very vague and only time will tell on what kind of game they will actually deliver.

Bt

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Only certain fan groups understand why people loved Sierra's games. Not even the original creators. Damn.

I think what he's saying is that people can love a product for reasons the creators don't expect or understand. So, when they make a new product many years later which is based on the original, there is no guarantee they will hit the same chord with people that the original did.

Case in point: George Lucas.

On the other hand, Star Trek (2009) is, for me, a masterful example of how something is new and yet totally reminiscent of the original, without the original creator even being involved.

So the original creator may not, themselves, really understand what their original vision was, given the space of time between now and the original project. Rather the fans may have a better understanding of what they loved about it.

However, none of this speaks anything to whether TTG would make a good KQ game or not. It only speaks to how valuable Roberta Williams' input is.

• @Chyron8472 said:
    However, none of this speaks anything to whether TTG would make a good KQ game or not. It only speaks to how valuable Roberta Williams' input is.

Yeah, exactly - this is what we're talking about here. A game being a "Roberta" game and the cult of hero worship over her name, really.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Yeah, exactly - this is what we're talking about here. A game being a "Roberta" game and the cult of hero worship over her name, really.

Bt

Not hero worship--more admiration of a talented woman who made 5 undeniably classic games, and had varying levels of involvement in 3 games--only one of which is truly disliked, and one of which is considered one of the best adventure games ever made. Her record speaks for itself.

As for the Lucas comparison--Lucas KNOWS what the fans want. He just doesn't give a shit. Read any interview. He doesn't care what fans want. This is a guy who wears "Han Shot First" t-shirt just to piss off purist fans.

Add Comment