User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 184.1K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I liked it, and I'm a guy. with no daughter (yet.)

• Brave was not ParaNorman. Therefore, Brave did not deserve to win.

Before the show, I filled out a "play at home" ballot, opting to pick the things I wanted to win rather than the things I expected to win. I got 7½ of the awards "right". The ones I got were:

Daniel Day-Lewis(if anyone else got that award it would have been a horrible crime without ANY reasonable excuse or mitigating circumstance), Anne Hathaway, Christoph Waltz, Django's screenplay, Les Mis's makeup, Skyfall(the song), Zero Dark Thirty's sound editing, and Pi's visual effects.

• You know, I keep hearing that ParaNorman is supposed to be good from you, Tope, and her sister, but I have yet to see or hear anything about that film that makes me want to give a shit about it.

• I think Brave deserved it's win, Although honestly, ParaNorman deserved it just as much. WHY CANT THEY BOTH WIN!

PARANORMAN AND BRAVE BOTH WIN THE REMOLAY AWARD OF AWESOMENESS FOR BEING EQUALLY AS AWESOME AND ALL AROUND FREAKING ENJOYABLE

• @GuruGuru214 said: You know, I keep hearing that ParaNorman is supposed to be good from you, Tope, and her sister, but I have yet to see or hear anything about that film that makes me want to give a shit about it.

It's a technically impressive Laika feature with designs by Graham Annable, the perfection of Laika's rapid prototyping animation process, which essentially cuts down on the worst aspects of their previous efforts(Coraline had pacing/plotting issues, while ParaNorman is tightly scripted without any wasted elements). It's a very touching story about being alone and different. It has a smart script with an excellent and dark twist and is in every sense the best animated feature film of the year.

@GuruGuru214 said: WHY CANT THEY BOTH WIN!

Technically they can. Oscar voting rules state that a tie occurs if a losing film is 3 or less votes behind the winner.

• The story itself is very solid and very well structured, but frankly the thing that gets me excited is how the medium of stopmotion is pushed beyond anything anyone has ever attempted prior resulting in some absolutely astounding stuff.

A bit spoilery, but this shit is seriously beyond amazing.

• @Rather Dashing said: It's a technically impressive Laika feature with designs by Graham Annable, the perfection of Laika's rapid prototyping animation process, which essentially cuts down on the worst aspects of their previous efforts(Coraline had pacing/plotting issues, while ParaNorman is tightly scripted without any wasted elements). It's a very touching story about being alone and different. It has a smart script with an excellent and dark twist and is in every sense the best animated feature film of the year.

Well, that's more like it. I'm actually a bit curious now.

• It's getting scary that my worldview is getting really close to Tony Soprano's.

If the ending is just a cut to black, like the ending to the Sopranos...we lose everything we've ever had in an instant. Our friends. Our families. Our love. Our possessions. Our knowledge. Our memories. Our beliefs.

"So after all is said and done, after all the complainin' and the cryin' and all the fuckin' bullshit... is this all there is?"

I'm looking over at the peaceful, beautiful, sleeping form of the woman I love right now....Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You" is playing on the TV. And all I can think about is how much I love her. How I get to spend each day loving her more and more and more each day, and she'll feel the same way about me, only to have our love for each other rewarded in the end by being ripped from each other for the rest of time. Oh god, I'm going to fucking puke.

I didn't fucking ask to be fucking born. Fuck you, life! Fuck you, world! Fuck you, humanity! This is what I get for my trouble. And you have to do this to her too?

[takes a chair into another room and proceeds to kick the shit out of it until my foot is screaming]

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! [throws chair across the room]

And that's all I can do about it^

• @GuruGuru214 said: Well, that's more like it. I'm actually a bit curious now.

Did you see/what was your opinion on Coralline? Depending on how you liked or didn't like it and why, it'd be easier to figure out if you'd like it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Alcoremortis said: I know. He's just going to get one every year until he becomes the first man with a special Oscar rack.

Too late. Jack Nicholson's already got one.

But I do cheer for Austria. ;)

Oh, and no Oscar for Peter Jackson's last atrocious attempt at "directing", for which the word "LOL" was actually invented. Thanks Academy.

This discussion has been closed.