User Avatar Image

I hope the Playable Character for Season 2 is...

posted by FreemDeem on - last edited - Viewed by 676 users

Kenny. No question about it. Here's why.

I have to believe there's a reason we never actually see him die. Standard fiction trope-reading suggests he'll be back and I really think this would be the best possible option for season 2.

At the beginning of season 1, Lee is on his way to jail. His life is ostensibly over. Kenny, similarly, has lost everything: his wife, his son and then the only companions he had left (whether he got on with them or not). He's in a fantastic position to find a new motivation. I personally believe it should be the same motivation as Lee: Clementine.

Lets say that was Omid and Christa on the hill and Clementine met up with them, a reunion with Kenny would be ripe for drama with differences arising from whether Lee said Omid and Christa should look after Clem or Kenny should.

More potential drama: If Lee killed Duck for Kenny, then later the boy in the attic, then Clementine killed Lee... how the hell does Kenny feel about that?! The little girl in his care nutted up and did what he couldn't, killed a loved one when all hope was lost.

I think it's a win for all players too. We all have some kind of emotional attachment to Kenny: If you liked Kenny you're playing as a character you like, if you didn't like him, you play in a way that turns him into someone worthy of your approval and of Lee's (hopefully) high standard of parenting.

TELLTALE: PLEASE LET ME HAVE THIS VERSION OF THE GAME.

Please, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

58 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Great theory. I never noticed the similarities between ep 1 Lee and ep 5 Kenny. Interesting.

Personally I'd like playing as Kenny. I really liked Kenny, so I think it'd be cool, even if it's only for a single episode.

• I'd like to cast my vote for this too. Not just because of the OP's points, but also that it would make for a badass opening for season 2, with you taking control of Kenny a few seconds after he parts ways from Lee, and aid in his escape from the walkers.

• Too many people hate Kenny. Season 2's sales could go down if Kenny were the PC. Personally, even though I'm Team Kenny and he and Lee were like family in my original game, I wouldn't want to play as him either. Too much history. That being said, I'd still love to see him as an NPC at some point. The really couldn't have left his death so ambiguous if they weren't at least considering putting him in Season 2 somehow...

• @Rock114 said: Too many people hate Kenny. Season 2's sales could go down if Kenny were the PC.

How do you know for sure? That's a hard thing to gauge, isn't it? There's been a lot of negative opinion expressed about Kenny on this forum, no doubt. But it'd be a little ridiculous to think we encompass the entire WD fan community.

Every scenario we've discussed about the PC in season 2 has had its share of problems, but Kenny's simply strikes me as being the most effective as a direct continuation of season 1...assuming that's what Telltale is going for.

• I agree with Rock. I can also see him coming back really easily. I was always a Team Kenny, but Kenny being PC would cause alot of anger from people that didn't like him. Also,
    kenny's character is already made. He has a set personality now. I think it'd be cool to have him as a PC, but as of all that happened in season 1 and the negativity some people have of him, I don't think it'd work out. The PC will be a new person, one without a set personality that we can mold to match ourselves.

• @Robert Morgan said: How do you know for sure? That's a hard thing to gauge, isn't it? There's been a lot of negative opinion expressed about Kenny on this forum, no doubt. But it'd be a little ridiculous to think we encompass the entire WD fan community.

Every scenario we've discussed about the PC in season 2 has had its share of problems, but Kenny's simply strikes me as being the most effective as a direct continuation of season 1...assuming that's what Telltale is going for.

Yeah, but still. There are people who might not play just because of that fact.

• And yeah, if Kenny is in it, or if the PC is someone new, I would bet my money that you help Clementine with Lee and then are forced off by walkers. Then you are forced to hide out. After this, maybe you see Clem leave without Lee and enter the store after she leaves to find out what happened. Based on your decisions maybe you could save him. After barely escaping with him to the countryside, maybe with other new characters, you find Christa and Omid (or maybe even Molly or Lilly) out in the countryside. You decide to take someone out with you to search for Clementine. And that where it is :P

• I want a character with a blank personality that we can etch out in season 2, just like Lee in season 1. Kenny already HAS a personality. Besides, he's dead to me. I don't want him to return at all.

• @Mark$man said: Yeah, but still. There are people who might not play just because of that fact.

Really? There's a sizeable group of fans who will cross their arms and shout "I hate Kenny, I'm not touching this game", no matter how much they loved the previous season?

I have no love for Lilly and wouldn't like the idea of her becoming the PC at all, but I'd pick up season 2 even if that turned out to be the case.

• @Robert Morgan said: Really? There's a sizeable group of fans who will cross their arms and shout "I hate Kenny, I'm not touching this game", no matter how much they loved the previous season?

I have no love for Lilly and wouldn't like the idea of her becoming the PC at all, but I'd pick up season 2 even if that turned out to be the case.

Yeah, well you and I don't speak for millions :P

Add Comment