User Avatar Image

I hope the Playable Character for Season 2 is...

posted by FreemDeem on - last edited - Viewed by 716 users

Kenny. No question about it. Here's why.

I have to believe there's a reason we never actually see him die. Standard fiction trope-reading suggests he'll be back and I really think this would be the best possible option for season 2.

At the beginning of season 1, Lee is on his way to jail. His life is ostensibly over. Kenny, similarly, has lost everything: his wife, his son and then the only companions he had left (whether he got on with them or not). He's in a fantastic position to find a new motivation. I personally believe it should be the same motivation as Lee: Clementine.

Lets say that was Omid and Christa on the hill and Clementine met up with them, a reunion with Kenny would be ripe for drama with differences arising from whether Lee said Omid and Christa should look after Clem or Kenny should.

More potential drama: If Lee killed Duck for Kenny, then later the boy in the attic, then Clementine killed Lee... how the hell does Kenny feel about that?! The little girl in his care nutted up and did what he couldn't, killed a loved one when all hope was lost.

I think it's a win for all players too. We all have some kind of emotional attachment to Kenny: If you liked Kenny you're playing as a character you like, if you didn't like him, you play in a way that turns him into someone worthy of your approval and of Lee's (hopefully) high standard of parenting.

TELLTALE: PLEASE LET ME HAVE THIS VERSION OF THE GAME.

Please, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

58 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Robert Morgan said: I'd like to cast my vote for this too. Not just because of the OP's points, but also that it would make for a badass opening for season 2, with you taking control of Kenny a few seconds after he parts ways from Lee, and aid in his escape from the walkers.

That's what I was thinking. I can see it now! It'd be one hell of an opening! How about Kenny escapes to a point where he's safe and he can see Lee, Christa and Omid on a rooftop but they don't notice him no matter what you do? That'd be a gut punch for me, don't know about anyone else :P

• @Zeruis said: I want a character with a blank personality that we can etch out in season 2, just like Lee in season 1. Kenny already HAS a personality. Besides, he's dead to me. I don't want him to return at all.

Lee had personality, that's what made him a better PC than in most other games with choices involved. He was still the same guy, you just chose what difficult decisions that guy would make based on your own take on what's right and wrong.

Kenny at the end of season 5 is no more or less blank than Lee. He's lived through a bunch of experiences already but is at a big turning point now where his whole world view and reason to exist have been messed around. His exit from season 1 is the kind of thing that seems like the result of an in-game choice. Kenny is ready for us to control him. If you didn't like his character, wouldn't you relish the opportunity to redeem him? Make him who you want him to be?

• @FreemDeem said: That's what I was thinking. I can see it now! It'd be one hell of an opening! How about Kenny escapes to a point where he's safe and he can see Lee, Christa and Omid on a rooftop but they don't notice him no matter what you do? That'd be a gut punch for me, don't know about anyone else :P

That would definitely be a neat little way for Telltale to twist the knife, but I have a suspicion they'll make things even nastier than you predict. He could stumble across Lee's remains in the jewellery store by the end of episode 6, and depending on Clementine's actions in ep. 5, he could either be a corpse, or a fully turned walker, albeit one still handcuffed to the radiator. The player would then be forced into a real mindfuck situation where Kenny would have to kill the one character who was essentially "you" throughout the entirety of season 1.

• @Robert Morgan said: That would definitely be a neat little way for Telltale to twist the knife, but I have a suspicion they'll make things even nastier than you predict. He could stumble across Lee's remains in the jewellery store by the end of episode 6, and depending on Clementine's actions in ep. 5, he could either be a corpse, or a fully turned walker, albeit one still handcuffed to the radiator. The player would then be forced into a real mindfuck situation where Kenny would have to kill the one character who was essentially "you" throughout the entirety of season 1.

That'd be powerful... unless he was still alive when you came to see him... maybe? Either way, it'd be an episode I'd be excited to play.

• Hmm Kenny is my bro, but I don't think I would want him to be the PC for Season 2.. I feel like he already went out as a hero. However, they should make DLC's where we play as the other characters and get to know them more :o

• Yeah the episode in-between could be with christa and omid instead

• I would like being kenny, but it wont happen. He already has his own personality, he would change completely if the Player was him.

• @Robert Morgan said: How do you know for sure? That's a hard thing to gauge, isn't it? There's been a lot of negative opinion expressed about Kenny on this forum, no doubt. But it'd be a little ridiculous to think we encompass the entire WD fan community.

Every scenario we've discussed about the PC in season 2 has had its share of problems, but Kenny's simply strikes me as being the most effective as a direct continuation of season 1...assuming that's what Telltale is going for.

After listening to.. what I can safely say would be 95% of all gaming podcast's that had a Spoilercast/GOTY section with the Walking Dead..... (And this is why I started the why does everyone hate Kenny topic in the 1st place)

I higher amount of players hate Kenny and think he's an asshole then pro-Kenny players. No question.

None the less as a pro-Kenny guy I would love for him to take care of Clem. I told Omid & Christa that Kenny should be the one to do it as well.

• Eh, I think Christa and Omid would be better, and not for racial reasons people -_- immature. Because they can be her parents, and have a child on the way. So having Clem can prepare them while Clem can have a family again, and have a lil-sister :P.
    Kenny would be more of the badass godfather :cool:. Lee's bro as the guardian eh? I think I'd prefer that, because I know he'll protect her either way

• Kenny has a predefined persona, plus he's a total dickhead, that's not fun for a main character.

Kenny 4 Season 2 Main: Just say no.

Add Comment