User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Mark$man said: So... what does this have to do with people hating Kenny? lol

Nothing. Just anytime anyone brings up Lilly I start ranting. :p

On topic, I think Kenny is annoying because of how personally he takes ever fucking slight. I "sided" with Lilly in the meat locker on my first playthrough and he suddenly acts like I wanted Kat and Duck to die. You bring up the fact that you save Katjaa and Duck from the St. Johns and he comes back with "I saved them by stopping Larry from coming back!" I didn't even think he was entirely wrong for wanting to stop Larry from coming back, I just wanted to be sure he was dead before we did it, stop taking it so fucking personally.

And then at the end of episode four he brings up how there were plenty of times you weren't there for him and I'm just thinking "When?" I didn't help you kill Larry, so what? I immediately risked my life to save your kid and wife, I was saving people left and right during the bandit attack, I saved your ass in Savannah when you got grabbed. He equates me not killing people he thought should be killed (Larry, Ben, Woman in Streets[In that case I killed her the wrong way]) as not being there for him. If I wanted him to kill someone I could understand him saying no but I never hesitated to stick my neck out for him.

To me it's always worth bringing Ben along just to finally snap some sense back into Kenny in episode five. :p

• @Advanced said:
    1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

Yes, but either of those kids were perfectly able to run away if told to do so. Kenny even carried the guilt of abandoning Lee and Shawn for the rest of the game.

@Advanced said:
    2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

Not knowing how vile Larry was yet I tried to reason with him, and if it was Clem he wanted to toss my first reaction would still be that. But because I didn't throw more fuel on the fire, Kenny turned on me for being "disloyal." Kenny was as much of a problem at that point as the Cauls.

@Advanced said:
    3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

I didn't know if it was a good idea, but I didn't know if staying was so hot either. Either way I don't get upset over matters of strategy.

@Advanced said:
    4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious?

Hell yes I'm serious, and I don't regret that choice. Realistically he probably didn't have a chance since he had no meds and he would have needed a trip to intensive care to survive. But I knew it was fiction and CPR and defibrillators can bring anyone back if applied soon enough.

I didn't kill Ben either, even though by that point I hated him more than Larry. Why? It's like Lee says in the dialog option if you vote to keep Ben in Crawford. He directly compared the act of abandoning Ben to what the people of Crawford routinely did. And as bad as Larry was, he wasn't as incompetent as Ben or as much of a crazed loose cannon as his daughter. Yes I abandoned Lilly, but she had just shot someone in cold blood because she lost an argument.

Larry though? He tried to abandon Lee, sure, and he was an old racist asshole. But he deserved a chance. And when I helped Lilly, she was the one to back Lee up instead of your "buddy" Kenny.

@Advanced said:
    5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her?

Yes, and I talked Kenny down as gently as possible from his completely understandable reaction. We didn't fight.

@Advanced said:
    6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I certainly did want Ben dead, and had forgotten just how much until I listened to my audio recording of Ep. 4. But at the end of MY day I found (to my satisfaction) that I have too much of a conscience to allow someone to die just because they're stupid.

Until his epiphany in episode five Kenny was selfish, self-centered, reckless, pushy, judgmental, cowardly, disloyal, pig-headed, arrogant and stupid. And as he said, Katjaa rightly chewed him out for it every night in bed.

While there were no perfect choices for who to take care of Clem, the biggest sin I saw in Omid and Christa was her naive optimism.

• @RobtMyers said:

Hell yes I'm serious, and I don't regret that choice. Realistically he probably didn't have a chance since he had no meds and he would have needed a trip to intensive care to survive. But I knew it was fiction and CPR and defibrillators can bring anyone back if applied soon enough.

I didn't kill Ben either, even though by that point I hated him more than Larry. Why? It's like Lee says in the dialog option if you vote to keep Ben in Crawford. He directly compared the act of abandoning Ben to what the people of Crawford routinely did. And as bad as Larry was, he wasn't as incompetent as Ben or as much of a crazed loose cannon as his daughter. Yes I abandoned Lilly, but she had just shot someone in cold blood because she lost an argument.

Larry though? He tried to abandon Lee, sure, and he was an old racist asshole. But he deserved a chance. And when I helped Lilly, she was the one to back Lee up instead of your "buddy" Kenny.

i think you are missing the point, killing larry had nothing to do with the fact the he was an asshole (that was just a bonus), it was the fact that if you don't kill him he would kill you as a zombie, when i replayed that episode and chose not to kill larry i expected a zombie fighting sequence so i was totally shocked that kenny killed him anyway, but he made the right choice

• @RobtMyers said:
    Larry though? He tried to abandon Lee, sure, and he was an old racist asshole.

Just of curiosity, has there been any actual dialogue besides the Lee-Mark chat that prove Larry could be a racist? My gut tells me he isn't, because Larry made it very clear at the end of episode one he would protect Clementine if Lee tried to hurt her.

That said, Larry is still an asshole. ;)

• @double_u said: Just of curiosity, has there been any actual dialogue besides the Lee-Mark chat that prove Larry could be a racist? My gut tells me he isn't, because Larry made it very clear at the end of episode one he would protect Clementine if Lee tried to hurt her.

It's still fun to call him one and then own up to it later at motel. it's like "Whatcha gonna do old man? You want keep secrets from everyone? Then I gotta think of some explanation why you hate me most. I figure this worked best!" :D

• @thestalkinghead said: i think you are missing the point, killing larry had nothing to do with the fact the he was an asshole (that was just a bonus), it was the fact that if you don't kill him he would kill you as a zombie, when i replayed that episode and chose not to kill larry i expected a zombie fighting sequence so i was totally shocked that kenny killed him anyway, but he made the right choice

No, I'm not missing the point. The original question was about how much of an asshole Larry was, not about the likelihood of him dying. We'd seen him collapse before and just lay there for a while. I genuinely believe Kenny saw a chance for thinly veiled revenge, took it, and got up in my face when I didn't back his asinine justification.

And while Larry never used the n-word or anything, the fact that Lee was even considering it as a response was enough evidence to me that he gave it some credence.

• It's possible that Larry's a tad racist, given his age. I don't think he is, though he's still a huge asshole. I didn't kill him because of that though, I killed him because I didn't wanna get chomped. The fact that it was Larry probably DID make that choice slightly easier though.

• @RobtMyers said: No, I'm not missing the point. The original question was about how much of an asshole Larry was, not about the likelihood of him dying. We'd seen him collapse before and just lay there for a while. I genuinely believe Kenny saw a chance for thinly veiled revenge, took it, and got up in my face when I didn't back his asinine justification.

Not like that we didn't. When he had a heart attack in Macon he retained consciousness and was able to speak and move to a limited extent. In the meat locker he's completely out and stops breathing. Lilly herself said sometimes his heart attacks were so bad that he had to be taken to a hospital, so odds are even if Larry could be revived he was probably still fucked.

Larry being a huge asshole probably made it easier for Kenny to do what he did but really I just think he was scared. He acts tough but you can tell that the walkers still freak Kenny out. If it's his family or someone he considers family in danger he can usually handle it, but for anyone else he usually loses his shit.

@RobtMyers said: It's possible that Larry's a tad racist, given his age. I don't think he is, though he's still a huge asshole. I didn't kill him because of that though, I killed him because I didn't wanna get chomped. The fact that it was Larry probably DID make that choice slightly easier though.

I don't think Larry was actually racist, it seems to hate everyone pretty much equally. :p

• @double_u said: Just of curiosity, has there been any actual dialogue besides the Lee-Mark chat that prove Larry could be a racist? My gut tells me he isn't, because Larry made it very clear at the end of episode one he would protect Clementine if Lee tried to hurt her.

I think it was more to do with the "boy" comments to/about Lee. It's meant to be disrespectful to any grown man, I suppose, but I know it was especially rampant awhile back. White men called black men (even those who were much older than them) 'boy' to demonstrate that blacks were below them. At least that's my understanding, though I'm too young to have grown up with too much of that. I think that's probably where a lot of the racist speculation comes from.
    Do I think he's racist? Not exactly. I think he was hateful, and an asshole. I think that because Lee was a strong man, he couldn't really call him a pussy or something, so he had to resort to semi-racist comments. I hope that makes sense lol. Basically, I think he would've taken any shot he could with anyone he didn't like, regardless of race and whatnot.

• Well if we're going to single out characters for being racist, we mustn't forget Andy St. John calling Lee "boy" when he catches him snooping around in that back room, as well as Kenny with his infamous "urban" remark.

Add Comment