User Avatar Image

Remake KQ8 project

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 926 users

Would anyone like to start up or help me out with a project with the goal of remaking KQ8? The idea is to bring the game in line with Roberta's vision of the game and make it the epic KQ8 it could've been. Many have noted that while the final product is generally something Roberta approved, there's also a lot of other voices drowning hers out.

There were so many changes done to the game, so much stuff cut or quickly cut and pasted together. The original game was much larger, but also much more concise.

A lot of stuff had to be junked (two whole levels, Daventry was supposed to be completely different, etc) and nixed mostly because the technology of the time wasn't able to keep up with Roberta's ideas, and because of budget constraints and problems coordinating development between the various teams working on the game, and with a change in management and video game demographics, the question of how much action should be in the game became important. Roberta wanted action, but said action might've only been limited to Bosses had the pressures of changing times not been on her.

I'd just love to do something that could make Mask of Eternity into the classic game it had the potential to be, as close as possible to what Roberta originally envisioned before others began tampering with her ideas, or before what she wanted got sidelined by technological barriers and demographics concerns.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ya, pretty sure the earliest, as in "pinnochio" was abandoned and decidedly ignored. Nothing came of it, not even sure there are any concept art, just story treatments.

The moment they started programming the test level, they had already switched the story towards Connor instead.

• First draft of anything rarely is gold and I suspect the case to be the same with KQ8. The first draft it just a starting point that is refined into the final product.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Personally, I think first draft design documents are abandoned for a reason.

KQ must stay dead forever because AGDI and IA were denied the license! Butthurt abounds!

• @BagginsKQ said: Ya, pretty sure the earliest, as in "pinnochio" was abandoned and decidedly ignored. Nothing came of it, not even sure there are any concept art, just story treatments.

The moment they started programming the test level, they had already switched the story towards Connor instead.

Any remake would have Connor, of course.
    I'm not referring to the earliest draft, story treatments.
    I'm referring to the actual first design phase, which went beyond story treatments and produced those first videos and screenshots shown in '96.

• That was the level and early combat design period. Not much of anything for puzzles according to Roberta and Seibert. Though the story concepts and characters were probably already thought of by then.

Puzzles were decided late in the game, one of the reasons some level material didn't make it in because not all ideas for puzzles had been fully thought out or no puzzle concepts had been designed to place into those levels, before the budget and time issues came up.

The interesting thing is if fan remake was made they'd pretty much be able to be fully original as far as puzzles. You might luck out and find some cut puzzle concepts that we're created near the final stretch of he development that might inspire ideas. Although by then the story had changed in yet a third direction.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: KQ must stay dead forever because AGDI and IA were denied the license! Butthurt abounds!

I don't know about AGDI; I can't speak for them. IA was never denied the license - we never pursued it. In my discussion with colleagues in the Industry, I came to know of the terms of a KQ license, and it was something we could not afford.

And now that I have had quite a long time to think about it, I'm absolutely fine with King's Quest remaining dormant. Like I've stated 1,000 times - somethings are just meant to stop. King's Quest had a good run, and when you get to 8 sequels - the quality is going to decline. I'm not one much for reboots of things, either - we're in a period in the creative world where it's reboots and sequels - and honestly, I'm more interested in new ideas.

I don't need a new King's Quest, or particularly want one at this juncture. Not unless it was really handled with care. If one came along, had a great team behind it - I'd be interested in it. Right now - there's no one, or nothing. I don't know what Activision's plans are, but TellTale isn't going to be making King's Quest. For now, I'm fine with it being on a shelf.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: I'm fine with it being on a shelf...

Bt

Sadly, you miss a big point regarding the game reboots. The hi res reboots (e.g.,Larry Reloaded, Monkey Island) are not a result of a lack of creativity; they are made, in part, to introduce classic series to a whole new set of fans. Many younger gamers would never consider playing a game with blocky graphics nor one which requires DOSbox to run. And remember that the classic series stay alive, in a sense, only so far as new players are continuing to discover and play them. I suppose you are also against reprinting classic novels for new generations to enjoy? New KQ and other rebooted games won't just be played by the same handful of people that you are used to communicating with in various online KQ forums, don't forget. How sad that you want the series to stay "shelved", essentially putting a cap on the number of people who will ever enjoy the series.

Your suggestion that game reboots or sequels somehow prevent others from supporting or creating new series is also a little silly. We can do both: celebrate/relive the classics AND also enjoy and produce new series. This is good for adventure gaming as a whole.

I don't need a new King's Quest, or particularly want one at this juncture...

Bt

Not everything is about "you" or what "you" need. Look at the bigger picture.

The KQ series has something special and is a lot of fun. It had many sequels and was a HUGE seller because people loved the games! I would be thrilled to see a new non-Telltale KQ game with the same special, fun spirit of the originals. I say, unleash the classics! Give life to a new KQ adventure! Let a new generation experience the fun and create new fans in the process.

• I am speaking for me, Mtn. Peak. It IS about what I want and what I need.

As with film, I want the younger generation to watch "Citizen Kane", not a remake or a reboot. I want them to see "The Wizard of Oz", not a remake or a reboot.

If they don't play some blocky old game, it's their loss.

Bt

• Blackthorne if a company decides to reboot a classic series or make remakes or new sequels, you aren't forced to watch it the original series will always be their unchanged.

I'm glad that places like GoG are makimg it easier to access them for new generation of gamers or even old who lost or sold their original copies. Its a digital archive with access to all as long as they can continue to sell them.

• I know I'm not forced to watch them, but some things just shouldn't be done. King's Quest shouldn't have a sequel tacked on to it or be rebooted just to make a buck - or somehow "continue" the trend. Yes, the original series will be unchanged - that's great. I'd just hate to see a crappy game come out with a King's Quest name slapped on it.

Bt

Add Comment