User Avatar Image

What exactly is Fables?

posted by Hudomonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

I have never read the comics but I'm a big fan of Telltale and I'm just wondering what the world is like and what could of genre it is.

At the moment I don't know how to react to it and whether I should be greatly anticipated or not.

Thanks!

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't know too much about it myself, but it's apparently about fairy tale characters living in modern times. Of course, they're...different from how you remember them.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

The Fables world features characters from fairytales and folklore who have been exiled from their homeland. They now live in secret amongst the human (mundane or "mundy") inhabitants of modern-day New York City, in their own hidden enclave called Fabletown.

It's a dark and adult world (the first book in the comics deals with a murder investigation), and the characters are perhaps not quite as you would expect... Bigby (the Big Bad Wolf) is a chain-smoking detective, Snow White is a high-ranking official in the Fabletown government, and Prince Charming *ahem* gets AROUND.

• So a fairy tale in a semi film noir setting? But modern as in present ('post-modern')? Or modern as in early 20th century setting (not 1930's/40's?)?

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

From having read the first three volumes since Telltale got me interested in seeing what the series was like, not all of the comics are noir really. I think each story arch takes on a different theme/motif. As I said, I have only read the early comics so far but I hear later on the comics take a more political tone.

• Sounds really interesting...
    I think I will start to get excited about this!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@BagginsKQ said: So a fairy tale in a semi film noir setting? But modern as in present ('post-modern')? Or modern as in early 20th century setting (not 1930's/40's?)?

It's set in present day New York City (and in rural upstate New York, where the characters who can't blend in live).

• I'm on issue 7 now, and man i'm loving this! Really excited to read more.

• @Arsun97 said: I'm on issue 7 now, and man i'm loving this! Really excited to read more.

It's so good - and the covers are absolutely amazing.

I bought the first 110 issues through Comixology when they had them for 0.99 each - read 'em all in 2 days...

• The stories in Fables is sooo good! I'm addicted to it! If TellTale manage to make it nearly as good as the comics, it will be GOTY. I dont have words...

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Weeksy said: It's so good - and the covers are absolutely amazing.

I bought the first 110 issues through Comixology when they had them for 0.99 each - read 'em all in 2 days...

It takes me AGES to get through them because I spend too long looking at the pictures. :p

@Weeksy said: The stories in Fables is sooo good! I'm addicted to it! If TellTale manage to make it nearly as good as the comics, it will be GOTY.

Haha, no pressure right? ;)

Add Comment