User Avatar Image

Remake KQ8 project

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Would anyone like to start up or help me out with a project with the goal of remaking KQ8? The idea is to bring the game in line with Roberta's vision of the game and make it the epic KQ8 it could've been. Many have noted that while the final product is generally something Roberta approved, there's also a lot of other voices drowning hers out.

There were so many changes done to the game, so much stuff cut or quickly cut and pasted together. The original game was much larger, but also much more concise.

A lot of stuff had to be junked (two whole levels, Daventry was supposed to be completely different, etc) and nixed mostly because the technology of the time wasn't able to keep up with Roberta's ideas, and because of budget constraints and problems coordinating development between the various teams working on the game, and with a change in management and video game demographics, the question of how much action should be in the game became important. Roberta wanted action, but said action might've only been limited to Bosses had the pressures of changing times not been on her.

I'd just love to do something that could make Mask of Eternity into the classic game it had the potential to be, as close as possible to what Roberta originally envisioned before others began tampering with her ideas, or before what she wanted got sidelined by technological barriers and demographics concerns.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Mtn Peak and Anakin, I'm selling these fine magic beans. If you plant them, they'll grow a new King's Quest game. My kickstarter funding goal is just a paltry $500,000.

  • Stories and legends are meant to be told again and again. That's why there's so many adaptations of Shakespeare or Greek myths. Every generation spins their own versions of tales, be it Hamlet or tales of gods. There are many things I consider that won't need re-telling, but I have no doubt that at some point those stories will be retold either well or badly from my POW. This is now happening with games as well. There's a lot of old games, that are ripe for a retelling, old fans either like them or not, but the re-tellings aren't really done for the old fans, but to new people. If old fans like them that's just a bonus.

  • Yes, but they called a modern adaptation of Hamlet "The Lion King", not Hamlet.

    I mean, we can all start quoting Joseph Cambell, and talk about how the Hero's Journey is the same damn story every time. It is. There are only so many basic stories to be told.

    Throwing the King's Quest name on a new story... lame. Merely branding worship.


    Bt

  • @Blackthorne519 said: Merely branding worship.

    B-b-but...Roberta's vision!

  • @Blackthorne519 said: Yes, but they called a modern adaptation of Hamlet "The Lion King", not Hamlet.

    I mean, we can all start quoting Joseph Cambell, and talk about how the Hero's Journey is the same damn story every time. It is. There are only so many basic stories to be told.

    Throwing the King's Quest name on a new story... lame. Merely branding worship.


    Bt

    So, any "new" story, even if it is literally a direct continuation of the series from KQ7, is somehow "branding worship"? Even if the story, characters, etc all are related to and are respectful of the previous entries?

    Like, if a KQ9 was made wherein Graham was the protagonist and was on a quest to save the life of another member of the Royal Family, it would never be a King's Quest game, merely ''branding worship''?

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: So, any "new" story, even if it is literally a direct continuation of the series from KQ7, is somehow "branding worship"? Even if the story, characters, etc all are related to and are respectful of the previous entries?

    Like, if a KQ9 was made wherein Graham was the protagonist and was on a quest to save the life of another member of the Royal Family, it would never be a King's Quest game, merely ''branding worship''?

    The story doesn't matter.

  • @Lambonius said: The story doesn't matter.

    Ok, I'll be more clear:
    If a game called King's Quest IX was made wherein Graham was the protagonist, and he had to save the life of a member of the Royal Family, in a pure adventure game format with an interface little more than a modernized version of the KQ5-KQ6 interface, with a tone similar to that of King's Quest V or VI, it would not be a King's Quest?

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Ok, I'll be more clear:
    If a game called King's Quest IX was made wherein Graham was the protagonist, and he had to save the life of a member of the Royal Family, in a pure adventure game format with an interface little more than a modernized version of the KQ5-KQ6 interface, with a tone similar to that of King's Quest V or VI, it would not be a King's Quest?

    Sure, I'd play that. Never gonna happen though. ;)

  • @Lambonius said: Sure, I'd play that. Never gonna happen though. ;)

    It will someday, despite what you want.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: It will someday, despite what you want.

    Did I mention I was selling these magic beans?

Add Comment