User Avatar Image

Remake KQ8 project

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 522 users

Would anyone like to start up or help me out with a project with the goal of remaking KQ8? The idea is to bring the game in line with Roberta's vision of the game and make it the epic KQ8 it could've been. Many have noted that while the final product is generally something Roberta approved, there's also a lot of other voices drowning hers out.

There were so many changes done to the game, so much stuff cut or quickly cut and pasted together. The original game was much larger, but also much more concise.

A lot of stuff had to be junked (two whole levels, Daventry was supposed to be completely different, etc) and nixed mostly because the technology of the time wasn't able to keep up with Roberta's ideas, and because of budget constraints and problems coordinating development between the various teams working on the game, and with a change in management and video game demographics, the question of how much action should be in the game became important. Roberta wanted action, but said action might've only been limited to Bosses had the pressures of changing times not been on her.

I'd just love to do something that could make Mask of Eternity into the classic game it had the potential to be, as close as possible to what Roberta originally envisioned before others began tampering with her ideas, or before what she wanted got sidelined by technological barriers and demographics concerns.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lambonius said: Did I mention I was selling these magic beans?

Why do you stick around if you're just going to troll? Don't understand it. You hate KQ, you're over it, you want to ensure it stays dead forever, you hate TT or the idea of TT making a KQ game...Why stick around here?

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Why do you stick around if you're just going to troll? Don't understand it. You hate KQ, you're over it, you want to ensure it stays dead forever, you hate TT or the idea of TT making a KQ game...Why stick around here?

I enjoy the stimulating conversation. And I never said I hated KQ. I hate the idea of a new, poorly conceived KQ that besmirches the name of the originals.

• @Lambonius said: I enjoy the stimulating conversation.

Basically, you're just a troll at this point, and enjoy pissing on the enthusiasm of anyone who doesn't feel that KQ must remain dead forever.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Basically, you're just a troll at this point, and enjoy pissing on the enthusiasm of anyone who doesn't feel that KQ must remain dead forever.

Let's just imagine for a moment that this magical new King's Quest gets made. And it turns out to be terrible. Just awful. The writing of TSL meets the exploratory depth and puzzle quality of Telltale.

You'd really want that?

• @Lambonius said: Let's just imagine for a moment that this magical new King's Quest gets made. And it turns out to be terrible. Just awful. The writing of TSL meets the exploratory depth and puzzle quality of Telltale.

You'd really want that?

Sure. At this point, I'd love it come out just to see your reaction to it.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Sure. At this point, I'd love it come out just to see your reaction to it.

Hahaha...me too.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: KQ must stay dead forever because AGDI and IA were denied the license! Butthurt abounds!

We weren't denied, actually. AGDI had the license to make the remakes, that's just all we wanted to do. IA never even looked for it to begin with. Your logic is flawed here.

@Anakin Skywalker said: I am speaking for me, Mtn. Peak. It IS about what I want and what I need.

As with film, I want the younger generation to watch "Citizen Kane", not a remake or a reboot. I want them to see "The Wizard of Oz", not a remake or a reboot.

If they don't play some blocky old game, it's their loss.

Bt

Hear hear! That was very well put. We shouldn't be trying to pretty up the "ugly" from the older games. It's a waste of time and disrespectful to say the least. After all, these games were the cream of the crop in their day. Seeing remade graphics is cool for those of us nostalgic enough to spot the differences/similarities or enhancements/detractions, but beyond that it doesn't really serve a purpose as newer players don't really play remakes anyway, in my experience. I don't think anybody truly considers the Sierra remakes or the AGDI or IA remakes as "better" than the originals. They're fun, of course, and neat to see. But they don't serve much of a purpose otherwise as I see it. AGDI's KQ2 and KQ3 remakes changed enough of the plot that they were almost different games, lesser so with KQ3, but they are not the originals and never pretended to be.

@Anakin Skywalker said: It will someday, despite what you want.

You can't possibly believe that. There will never be another King's Quest game with the same feel as King's Quest V. Because there already is a King's Quest V. The same level of greatness? The magic formula of the same group of people in the same place in the same era at the same level of technology with the same ideals of game design and the same target audience ready to receive it is gone. That will never come again.

At the very least, you can't possibly know that. If it happened I'd totally be on-board, though. I just think you're being a little naive.

• @Blackthorne519 said: I know I'm not forced to watch them, but some things just shouldn't be done. King's Quest shouldn't have a sequel tacked on to it or be rebooted just to make a buck - or somehow "continue" the trend.

Why shouldn't it be done? Because a stick in the mud wet blanket said he didn't need a new game? You repeat blah cliches like "just to make a buck" and "don't touch the originals" so much, but it seems like you never give any kind of thought to anything you say.

Remaking the games in hi res is more than just prettying them up, by the way. As I said, many younger players will never even touch a game with blocky graphics or which needs DOSbox to run. Aren't you happy that more gamers can now experience the original Monkey Island games? You would have rather the "Special Edition" games weren't made? Look, I played those new games on my iPhone, and I think that's pretty damn cool. That couldn't have happened without the "remake" effort. I think of it as translating classic novels from their original languages into other languages so more people can experience them. I think you would say, in your usual shallow, knee jerk, don't-give-anything-any-thought way, that people should just learn Greek or Latin or Hebrew or whatever the novel was originally written in if they want to read the original novel.

I agree with Anakin. Some of you are acting like wet blankets, repeatedly telling us all what KQ forum-weary veterans you are and pissing on others' enthusiasm. If you are "through" with KQ and don't want another KQ and have to tell us all how you're rolling your eyes whenever new KQ threads are created, then why even come and participate. I don't know what kind of seniority some people think they have or what respect they think it entitles them, but let's just say this KQ fan isn't impressed just because someone has been around awhile.

I would never suggest anyone not participate, however. I welcome all contributors, and I am happy to see the lively discussion.

• @MusicallyInspired said:
    You can't possibly believe that. There will never be another King's Quest game with the same feel as King's Quest V. Because there already is a King's Quest V. The same level of greatness? The magic formula of the same group of people in the same place in the same era at the same level of technology with the same ideals of game design and the same target audience ready to receive it is gone. That will never come again.

A new King's Quest not only has the potential to be of the same level of greatness.... no, it could be even greater!!

The best is yet to come.

• There's also the ever-present ebay.

@MtnPeak said: A new King's Quest not only has the potential to be of the same level of greatness.... no, it could be even greater!!

The best is yet to come.

Your optimistic, I'll give you that. I'm just being realistic. The likelihood is that it won't happen. But we all need something to believe in I guess. If it makes you happy, go ahead and believe it. But don't condemn those who choose to believe otherwise :p....especially when there's no evidence to the contrary. In fact, all the evidence points the other way if you're open enough to read between the lines. Ah, but that's a "matter of opinion"...

Add Comment