User Avatar Image

Trying to be a good guy in Season Two should screw you over

posted by vivec on - last edited - Viewed by 476 users

For example: Shooting girl in street but having consuequences you can shoot the girl and still get a lot of supplies, or meat locker situation where if you save larry , lilly gets bitten.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "No good deed goes unpunished", eh?

Look, there's a difference between showing a universe that's indifferent to human cruelty, and a universe that actually rewards human cruelty. I really wouldn't be too interested in playing a game that tells me every act of humanity or warmth I commit will ultimately be punished in some fashion by invisible malevolent forces.

• You should be rewarded for smart decisions. Period.

Sometimes, being a good guy is the smart decision. Sometimes, being a "dick" is the smart decision. It can't be all one way or another, it needs to depend on the situation.

With the girl on the street, leaving her to die is the smart, rational decision. You can shoot her without suffering any real consequence, but I believe that choices like this should reward rationality. Perhaps there could be some surprise consequences, later, though.

• @Riadon said: You should be rewarded for smart decisions. Period.

Sometimes, being a good guy is the smart decision. Sometimes, being a "dick" is the smart decision. It can't be all one way or another, it needs to depend on the situation.

With the girl on the street, leaving her to die is the smart, rational decision. You can shoot her without suffering any real consequence, but I believe that choices like this should reward rationality. Perhaps there could be some surprise consequences, later, though.

I agree. Good and Bad kinda go out the window in apocalypse. To shoot the girl in real life if she was dying/cant be saved would be mercy. In lees situtation its stupidity to shoot her. The risk alone is reason enough not to shoot.. Doing the "Good Thing" can get you killed. Does it make you bad if your tryin preserve your and possibly others lives? Good and Bad blurr in TWD. More like Heart and Smart.

This.

As I said in another thread, a lot of choices basically boil down to whether you want your poo sandwich on wheat or white bread.

The meat locker was a clear example of that: I figured that realistically, helping crush the head of somebody's last remaining family member without even attempting to save them was a great way to end up as a friendly fire casualty at some point in the future... between the two, I saw a potentially undead Larry as a lesser threat since the undead can't use firearms. :p

• I think it would be neat if doing the rational and pragmatic decisions was punished at times as well as the humane or neutral paths. Perhaps there is an unseen third factor in a decision that you don't know about that screws you over or gets someone killed. It could really throw people off, especially those who such as Kenny who will always take the brutal, survival only path.

Sort of like the strangers car in episode 2. Doing the pragmatic decision means taking the food, but this bites you in the rear when the owner of that food pretty much single-handedly kills off what remains of your group. If Lee survived the season finale because he didn't take food from the car and thus the stranger spares him and Clementine, that could really cause people to think twice about their choices(though this would have probably cause much backlash)

Personally i think morals matter in a zombie apocalypse even more than they do in normal situations. It starts off with small things such as stealing food from a car or leaving a stranger to die, but as the snowball gets bigger you become more and more barbaric until you're eating human meat, raping women in the woods and kidnapping their children. The question is whether you will accept being someone like that.

10/10

Would read again.

• @Mornai said: I think it would be neat if doing the rational and pragmatic decisions was punished at times as well as the humane or neutral paths. Perhaps there is an unseen third factor in a decision that you don't know about that screws you over or gets someone killed. It could really throw people off, especially those who such as Kenny who will always take the brutal, survival only path.

Sort of like the strangers car in episode 2. Doing the pragmatic decision means taking the food, but this bites you in the rear when the owner of that food pretty much single-handedly kills off what remains of your group. If Lee survived the season finale because he didn't take food from the car and thus the stranger spares him and Clementine, that could really cause people to think twice about their choices(though this would have probably cause much backlash)

Personally i think morals matter in a zombie apocalypse even more than they do in normal situations. It starts off with small things such as stealing food from a car or leaving a stranger to die, but as the snowball gets bigger you become more and more barbaric until you're eating human meat, raping women in the woods and kidnapping their children. The question is whether you will accept being someone like that.

I agree... until the very end... There is a difference between being a survivalist and being a sicko

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: Good and Bad blurr in TWD. More like Heart and Smart.

Exactly. This is a big part of the game's morality.

• Rape/Kidnapping/Cannablism isnt surivival.

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: Rape/Kidnapping/Cannablism isnt surivival.

The first two, agreed. For the third, however, if it is the only source of food and everything and anything edible has been exhausted, it will keep you alive. There are people who will do anything to keep living and if something like that is the only way for them to do so they'd probably take it. There have been worse people in the Walking Dead universe....

Add Comment