User Avatar Image

Something I don't understand.

posted by Tazzle27 on - last edited - Viewed by 873 users

So originally, they were going to make you play as Clementine's brother. but the idea was scrapped because they didn't like the idea of having a pre-existing relationship with Clementine, alright fair enough. So the only change necessary was to make a young adult or late teen(Between the age of 17-20) to bump into Clementine, that would've fixed the whole " pre-existing relationship thing " and as the game went along they could have developed a brother and sister type relationship. Right?

But they didn't do it that way, it would have made the most sense, so instead, they made alot of changes..without any explanation.

They changed the relationship from a brother figure to a father figure
They changed the main character to African American
They changed Clementine's ethnicity from Caucasian to African American(So people would think she is Lee's daugther)
They changed it so Clementine has a mother and a father. Originally, Clementine didn't have a father.

Is it explained anywhere why all these changes were made? honestly, I know I am one of the very few people to say this, but I would have preferred to play as a brotherly figure. At least Clementine would have felt more like a companion and somebody I am just looking out for than playing daddy. It wouldnt have felt like a daddy simulator.

Not to mention that this has been done SO MANY TIMES in other games already. Hell, Dead Rising 2 had a similar setting where I had to take care of a little girl.

So yeah, does anybody have any input on this?

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No one would know for sure except Telltale, but my guess would be it was because a parent/child bond is usually stronger than a bond between siblings. It makes the whole subplot about teaching her how to take care of herself a little more meaningful, and it also makes for a stronger sense of loss.

Keep in mind that all of this can definitely apply to a sibling relationship. I've always been very close with my sister in real life, and would defend/protect her no matter what. But as far as narratives go, I think the guardian relationship feels more natural. I think players instinctively feel a greater sense of responsibility and urgency when dealing with Clem.

I don't discredit the sibling idea, though. Brothers and sisters do a hell of a lot of quarreling, which could make for some great dialog options!

Hell, maybe TTG will use it in Season 2. You never know.

• ""Hell, maybe TTG will use it in Season 2. You never know.""

Sigh, but it won't feel as special because she already had that special bond with Lee and Clementine won't be the same after what she went through in season 1

• I think the father type relationship is a good because lee has no children so its uncharted for him. Some of the best things was in E1 lee didnt even know how to talk to clem. Lee"Do you need to go to the bathroom or somthing like that" as he scratches his head. I thought thats great a 37 year old man who hasnt had been around kids is thrown into ZA oh and by the way heres an 8 year old girl to protect and care for with your life. Have fun. Great story telling if you ask me.

• @Tazzle27 said: ""Hell, maybe TTG will use it in Season 2. You never know.""

Sigh, but it won't feel as special because she already had that special bond with Lee and Clementine won't be the same after what she went through in season 1

Oh, I actually meant a new set of characters that happened to be brother and sister, with one of them being the PC.

I can't imagine what Clementine will be like in Season 2. It'd be great if she still had her hope and optimism.

Also, I agree with GREYxDUZxKRUSH. The fact that Lee had no children of his own is yet another strong point of the father/daughter relationship. It made the whole situation very interesting!

Great storytelling indeed.

• They could have at least made it so Clementine didn't have a father to begin with. Lee was nothing but a 2nd father to Clementine. I think it would have been more touching if she always wanted a father and she gained one through Lee. Thing is though, she already had a father figure! At least with the brother figure, she never had a brother to begin with, so imo, would have made it more special. But that is just me.

• I don't think I could imagine this game without a black main character. Dave Fennoy is just too good. And just to add, Macon has lots of African-Americans. The comics already have a white main character, so creating another white guy as a main character on this region would be slightly racist. You know, "white man rules" or something like that.
    And I'm not trying to be racist myself, I love all the races.

• @Tazzle27 said: They could have at least made it so Clementine didn't have a father to begin with. Lee was nothing but a 2nd father to Clementine. I think it would have been more touching if she always wanted a father and she gained one through Lee. Thing is though, she already had a father figure! At least with the brother figure, she never had a brother to begin with, so imo, would have made it more special. But that is just me.

If Clem never had a father, it would just feel like she was projecting on Lee. While that could be made an interesting characteristic for her, I don't think that's what TTG was going for. Clem is an ordinary girl, albeit a bit peculiar with her preference for going outside over staying in and vegging out in front of the tv. Piling on a... I don't know what to call it... emotional baggage I guess, would lessen that I feel.

Besides, what's wrong with changing some details of a story before it hits the limelight? I do it all the time with story characters I create. Character A may be from this part of the world, so they should actually have this characteristic as it would make life there easier, or be an effect of living there. Character B may just be boring, so I try adding some things to him/her just to see if I like what they become. Stuff like that.

• Yeah it has been done before, but this game was the first to make it right, they made people care for the character of Clementine, so that playing daddy wasn't annoying, in other games you bump into stupid, not really likeable characters, who you then don't want to, but have to protect, and the best example for that is Ashley from Resident Evil 4... Yeah it is no original idea/setting, nonetheless it works just fine. I prefer the father figure role over the brother figure role.

Episode one would have been completely different if you were her brother, because then, those "getting to know each other" elements would be completely missing, and I enjoyed them really much, furthermore the very beginning would have been different too, Lee (if that were still his name...) would not have been a convicted killer, which also takes many scenes from the game, and his life would have been less shitty before the apocalypse, the one special thing about Lee Everett is, that his life was pretty much screwed at the point the game started, he was going to jail and more important, he had no one to care for well, maybe his brother and parents, but I mean no family of his own, and the apocalypse gave him a family.

• ""Yeah it has been done before""

Many times

""but this game was the first to make it right, they made people care for the character of Clementine, so that playing daddy wasn't annoying, in other games you bump into stupid, not really likeable characters, who you then don't want to, but have to protect, and the best example for that is Ashley from Resident Evil 4... Yeah it is no original idea/setting, nonetheless it works just fine. I prefer the father figure role over the brother figure role""

Clementine isn't annoying, I'll give you that. but honestly, you are still forced to take care of Clementine and be daddy. The game doesn't give you the option to just abandon her at her house. immediately Lee is like " i'll look after you from now on" So what if I didn't like Clementine? I'm pretty much in the same scenario as Leon In Resident Evil 4.

""Episode one would have been completely different if you were her brother, because then, those "getting to know each other" elements would be completely missing, and I enjoyed them really much""

Erm, why would those sequences be missing? What an odd thing to say

""furthermore the very beginning would have been different too, Lee (if that were still his name...) would not have been a convicted killer, which also takes many scenes from the game, and his life would have been less shitty before the apocalypse, the one special thing about Lee Everett is, that his life was pretty much screwed at the point the game started, he was going to jail and more important, he had no one to care for well, maybe his brother and parents, but I mean no family of his own, and the apocalypse gave him a family""

The problem with his backstory is that it just made it so obvious that he was going to die. So its another one of those games where the main protagonist "has been given a chance for redemption"

• @Tazzle27 said:
    Erm, why would those sequences be missing? What an odd thing to say

No, because if we were her actual brother, as it originally was planned, then we would already know her..., so... no getting to know sequences.

Well yeah, I get what you are saying too, if the player doesn't like Clementine, which is very hard to imagine, but there are some people, they would have the feeling of being forced to take care of her, this is a point I like to criticize too, I guess it would have been too much work to give you the option of abandoning her, though it would have been great, because imagine:

Choice 1: Take her with you -> same story as we know it -> getting bit (because of her) -> Good guy dies.

Choice 2: Abandon defensless girl -> different story -> not getting bit -> bad, hardass survivor lives.

I would have liked that choice, even though I still would have taken her with me... :D

Add Comment