User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 126.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It would only feel like Die Hard for me if Hans Gruber showed up or she had to walk over broken glass.

• I am starting to hate setting up networks, been working on it for 4 weeks and it still does not work...

On another note, tonight I am going to open mike and watch my brother do stand-up, it's going to be a real blast. Tomorrow I am goin to the cinema to watch Parker, I love Jason Statham movies.

• ... I love coffee.

And Meshuggah, holy crap, what an amazing band.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Oh great. Reproducible gamebreaking bug in Dreamfall. Well... :(

edit: Hmmm... Steam community haz ideaz. Let's try this.

• Does anyone here actually use Desura?
    Especially for games other than those on indie bundles.

There are indie bundles I don't get because half the games are on Desura and I cba to use more than Steam and GOG.

• @Chyron8472 said: Does anyone here actually use Desura?
    Especially for games other than those on indie bundles.

Desura had three big features over Steam early on.

Mod management. Before Steam Workshop, mod integration was really poor in Steam, and Desura's implementation is arguably still better and definitely supported on a more widespread level.

Linux Support. Give Steam a year or so and it'll have Desura beat.

Easier indie submission. If Greenlight indicates a new direction for Steam, this will be done soon enough. I honestly expect, from interviews that Gabe has given, that you will be able to sell Steam copies of games "automatically" and that things like Greenlight will be used to decide what ends up in the storefront, combining the curated storefront selection of Steam with the freedom to buy anything that the PC has naturally. I honestly think this is the only way for Steam to continue to grow more than it already has, other than expanding into new markets(like the Linux and TV-connected console space).

Right now, the only supported thing I can think of that Desura has and Steam really needs to move their feet on? Alpha funding. As it is, Steam only sells "complete" products, while Desura lets people pay during the alpha and beta phases and get early builds of a game.

• So what you're saying is, if a user doesn't often mod nor ever use Linux, and would rather play games after they've gone gold, then there's very little reason to use Desura instead of Steam.

And, barring all of that, the primary reason to use Desura in addition to Steam is because indie developers in particular have (or at least had) an easier time releasing games there.

• @Rather Dashing said: Right now, the only supported thing I can think of that Desura has and Steam really needs to move their feet on? Alpha funding. As it is, Steam only sells "complete" products, while Desura lets people pay during the alpha and beta phases and get early builds of a game.

Not strictly true as far as I know. I'm sure my friend had and played alpha versions of Endless Space before it's full release through Steam and I've just seen Arma 3 alpha is coming soon.

Plus they let Double Fine put up their Amnesia Fortnight prototypes as well, you can't exactly call them complete products.

There are probably more examples, these are just the ones off the top of my head.

As for Desura, the only thing I've ever used it for was so I could easily play the Stanley Parable mod.

• Fantasy Finals XXVI-2: Bravely Dragon of Lost Fire Odyssey Legends

If I ever get round to playing around with RPG maker, I need to make something like that... XD

Edit: and then the next game to make would be something like

Persona of Mana Hunter Tactics: Gemerald Red Edition

• I'm going to be absolutely sick of They Might Be Giants in a bit. I love They Might Be Giants. I don't want to be sick of them.

This discussion has been closed.