User Avatar Image

Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

So, remember that whole brouhaha with that woman doing a Kickstarter to make a series looking at how women are portrayed in video games that got a lot of people behaving really, really badly?

Yeah, the first episode of her series went live yesterday: Damsel in Distress.

I watched it yesterday.

I had to fight not to fall asleep.

I get what she's doing, but she's doing it in a very dull manner. Her voice is very monotone, her script is full of "impressive" words, the cuts between takes is jarring and doesn't flow well at all, and what she's saying is stretched out far too much - she basically takes 20 minutes to say stuff that could easily be compressed into 5.

Also, and I freely admit this is a very silly thing to focus on, but those earrings are ridiculous. I can't take her even remotely seriously when those things are dangling around. Ugh.

Wondered what you guys thought of it.

247 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Men! Huh! Marsden, shut your MALE penis up.

(Also the biggest problem with Curse of Monkey Island is what she illustrates, because Elaine is the very opposite of a damsel in distress)

I need to replay Curse now, as well as every single game she uses as an example. Yeah, I'm part of the problem, but she picked on Popeye, so screw her. Even if she's right.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Methinks this first video is just an attack on Japanese culture in general.

That's racist! :D

No, this is not serious. But it is obvious where her examples come from. And what now? 15 parts "damsel in distress", one part "evil women" and then no part at all because heroines like Lara Croft or Jade are not interesting or do not fit a series called TropesVERSUSwomen? She talks about Prince of Persia, does she not know Elika, who saves the Prince a 1000 times? But she does announce to get to Elaine Marley EVENTUALLY.

• Just reached the end of the video. Holy shit: she didn't miss Monkey Island? I'll watch just for the inevitable ripping of Curse. I was ready to call bad facts at lacking Super Princess Peach and missing the portrayal of Zelda in OOT and WW, but she hit both points. The only thing she left out that I noticed was that Fox also replaced Sabre in Dinosaur Planet. And that's not even that important.

• Notice the male reaction already.

• @DAISHI said: Notice the male reaction already.

Yes. Most men couldn't care less. The new Tomb Raider is out!

• Just watched the video.
    @Darth Marsden said: I had to fight not to fall asleep.
    this.

I get what she's doing, but she's doing it in a very dull manner. Her voice is very monotone, her script is full of "impressive" words [...] and what she's saying is stretched out far too much - she basically takes 20 minutes to say stuff that could easily be compressed into 5. and all of this too.

Also, and I freely admit this is a very silly thing to focus on, but those earrings are ridiculous. I can't take her even remotely seriously when those things are dangling around. Ugh.It's not silly. That teal background is drab; her pink plaid shirt is ugly; she has too much makeup on her face; her eyeshadow is a slight shade of blue; her hair drawn back like that looks drab from that particular camera angle; and her eyebrows, which look drawn on, are too long and too thin.

And yes, her tone of voice is that of a news reporter, and she drags the topic out way too long.

EDIT: I know that my criticism is largely about her appearance, but the truth is that presentation is key to winning over your audience. Her appearance is a part of her presentation, so it matters.

• It's funny how men attack a woman's appearance when discussing what's wrong with her presentation or position. You rarely hear the same thing said about overweight white men going bald. But hey, the advantage of being male in society has hidden benefits even to those who consider themselves sensitive to these kinds of issues.

• Having been married for eight years, I can say that women generally have those same criticisms about each other that men have about women.

Also, my wife doesn't like Pierce Brosnan because his chest is really hairy. Nevermind that GoldenEye is a good movie. And she's not at all shallow.

And women do gossip among themselves about whether they think a guy is hot. The swooning fits they have over Taylor Lautner (the actor who plays Jacob from Twilight) are evidence enough of that.

• 8539772469_2827d42d7d.jpg

Tell me you can't pay attention to him because you think his pony tail is silly, his shirt is dumb, or his room looks cluttered.

• The guys here on the forums aren't even close to bad.

From Youtube v
    QBT0YYC.png
    2RDWDM1.png
    1TMtMgG.png
    vTFgtdh.png
    H41ysOK.png
    F3p3od1.png
    uWYoVDd.png
    6W2vfjY.png

Add Comment