User Avatar Image

Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

So, remember that whole brouhaha with that woman doing a Kickstarter to make a series looking at how women are portrayed in video games that got a lot of people behaving really, really badly?

Yeah, the first episode of her series went live yesterday: Damsel in Distress.

I watched it yesterday.

I had to fight not to fall asleep.

I get what she's doing, but she's doing it in a very dull manner. Her voice is very monotone, her script is full of "impressive" words, the cuts between takes is jarring and doesn't flow well at all, and what she's saying is stretched out far too much - she basically takes 20 minutes to say stuff that could easily be compressed into 5.

Also, and I freely admit this is a very silly thing to focus on, but those earrings are ridiculous. I can't take her even remotely seriously when those things are dangling around. Ugh.

Wondered what you guys thought of it.

247 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Ah, just give me another hour to finish that last post of mine. ;)

• There's going to be more than one video. She said Elaine would be in one talking about heroines who aren't the damsel in distress. She used this video to hit the more obvious choices, even if she dragged it out a bit. She'll be hitting the non-damsels in a later video.

• She also mentions about game getting HD remakes. She also mentions Sonic CD. No offence but i'm pretty sure that it did not get a HD remake due to Amy getting kidnapped. I would say its because loads of people think Sonic CD is the best Sonic game ever made (Personally i think its Sonic adventure 1 or 2 or maybe Generations or Sonic Colours) Also it is not just the game remade for HD. It has both soundtracks, It has Tails as a playable character and it has more things to unlock.

• She's generalizing for the sake of making a point. She does that a lot in this video.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: She's generalizing for the sake of making a point. She does that a lot in this video.

Seems to me more she picks the worst examples because THAT's what her video is about. You can't quite identify a trope when you list examples of the contrary. ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: Seems to me more she picks the worst examples because THAT's what her video is about.

Did she? I was too distracted by her earrings to notice. Are they full loops, or only 3/4? Hmm...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Again... look_at_the_title. Of this thread. You made it. Just a reminder there. :D

This is "Tropes versus women", not "Tropes versus women and possibly also for women a bit if I still have time at the end of my video series". Nope. That would be boring, wouldn't it? :cool:

I doubt that a word will be breathed about how Nintendo broke their serious damsel streak in a scandalous manner when they revealed Samus' identity. While Mrs. Elaine Marley will make an appearance (where Curse will undoubtedly feature prominently), we will probably not hear about an Alix, Ada, April Ryan, Elika, Jade, Shepard, Lucca, Chell or a Dr. Rho Bowman. Possibly not even about a Lara Croft - unless the lady with the marsden-mystifying earrings finds fault with all their portrayals as well.

• Darth Barsoom Den, I'm going to buy you a big earring for your penis.

It's the only way to combat all of this sexism.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I think those earrings are cute!

Now THERE's your sexism.

Add Comment