User Avatar Image

Remake KQ8 project

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 930 users

Would anyone like to start up or help me out with a project with the goal of remaking KQ8? The idea is to bring the game in line with Roberta's vision of the game and make it the epic KQ8 it could've been. Many have noted that while the final product is generally something Roberta approved, there's also a lot of other voices drowning hers out.

There were so many changes done to the game, so much stuff cut or quickly cut and pasted together. The original game was much larger, but also much more concise.

A lot of stuff had to be junked (two whole levels, Daventry was supposed to be completely different, etc) and nixed mostly because the technology of the time wasn't able to keep up with Roberta's ideas, and because of budget constraints and problems coordinating development between the various teams working on the game, and with a change in management and video game demographics, the question of how much action should be in the game became important. Roberta wanted action, but said action might've only been limited to Bosses had the pressures of changing times not been on her.

I'd just love to do something that could make Mask of Eternity into the classic game it had the potential to be, as close as possible to what Roberta originally envisioned before others began tampering with her ideas, or before what she wanted got sidelined by technological barriers and demographics concerns.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, it's been fun, guys. And with that, I'm bowing out early. Enjoy the games and have a nice forum. Bye.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

give em a few years musicallyinspired. they can't keep up their insipid baseless optimism forever ;)

• @exo said: give em a few years musicallyinspired. they can't keep up their insipid baseless optimism forever ;)

Tasteless, shallow optimism? More optimism born out of a deep love of the series. If I am any example, I have been in LOVE with King's Quest consistently, without stop, for 18 years now--with no end of my obsession with the series in sight.

• Which is a positive quality that I respect.

It's not naïveté to love something and to want to be excited about it.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

It is naïve to love something so much that you fail to see the critical aspects. And what several of you seem to not understand, is that *everybody* here loved KQ in some form or another. Some of you have allowed that to cloud your judgement however, and you live in a fantasy world where companies don't exist to make money and rather want you to have the best KQ experience possible. While others of us simply have to look at TT's track record and current play style to know that the only way for them to make money off this is to not reinvent the wheel, and rather use their current engine and play mechanics and shove KQ people in.

If you "love" KQ so much that you will eat a shit sanwhich simply because it is labeled KQ, then that is fine by me. You go right ahead, and don't forget to wipe your mouth afterwards. But constantly bitching that not everyone else shares that baseless optimism makes no sense.

And besides all that, currently there is not even a game in the works for you to be optimistic about. So how naive is that?

You guys have fun defending your imaginary game. Meanwhile, back here in reality, I'll judge things based on the evidence available. So if you have any evidence that

A: There is a game in the works
    and
    B: It will be any different than the current Telltale style

Then please share it so I can get excited too.

• I always get here too late after trouble happens. I am dying to know… Who got banned? Am I allowed to ask this?

So, was that cold, terse and snitty farewell MusicallyInspired's final post on the forum? Not nice, especially after Anakin engaged him with many long, thoughtful answers. Disappointing. But I could be reading it wrong!

And back to the subject... Does anyone know about a project that used to be described at www.kq8project.tk?

• @Chyron8472 said: Which is a positive quality that I respect.

It's not naïveté to love something and to want to be excited about it.

I totally agree.

When did it become a crime to be a passionate KQ fan on a KQ forum?

Besides, some of you act like the chances of a great new KQ happening are as remote as a meteor destroying the earth tomorrow. Seriously, a new King's Quest is very much within the realm of possibility, whether from TTG or someone else. KQ remains one of the best known adventure game series, especially among people over a certain age, and we are seeing renewed interest in bringing back many classic series. We aren't talking about making a new Les Manly game, people. This is King's Quest. It's going to happen. Let's just hope the new game is worthy of the KQ name.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MtnPeak said: I always get here too late after trouble happens. I am dying to know… Who got banned? Am I allowed to ask this?

It's forum policy, and just common courtesy, not to discuss the banned since the banned can't be there to respond to posts about them.

• @MtnPeak said: We aren't talking about making a new Les Manly game, people.

A little off topic, but I thought you said Les Mis for a second there, and it brought up memories of this.

*shudder*

• @Darth Marsden said: A little off topic, but I thought you said Les Mis for a second there, and it brought up memories of this.

*shudder*

At first I thought it was going to be a Les Mis adventure game. That could be pretty cool. Never did get into those hidden object deals.

Also, I was just reading over my little posts in this thread. I just wanted to apologize for getting carried away at times. I didn't mean to be rude.

Add Comment