User Avatar Image

So any idea when Telltale might announce something new?

posted by KevinSig on - last edited - Viewed by 395 users

I love adventure games, but didn't care for Jurassic Park & certainly not The Walking Dead. Given that all the episodes for both are out, I figure Telltale should be announcing some kind of new project.

Hopefully, something I'm a bit more interested in. Heck, I'd glady throw into a Kickstarter if Telltale needed monies to get another season of Monkey Island.

I know this sort of thing usually coincides with some convention or another. Anything coming up that might be likely? Like a PAX convention?

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Fables is expected to be the next released, followed by season 2 of The Walking Dead. That'll cover the whole of this year and probably the start of next. After that, there is the previously announced Kings Quest game but whether that is still in development is unknown.

Nothing further than that has been announced.

• @corruptbiggins said: Fables is expected to be the next released, followed by season 2 of The Walking Dead. That'll cover the whole of this year and probably the start of next. After that, there is the previously announced Kings Quest game but whether that is still in development is unknown.

Nothing further than that has been announced.

Might check out Fables, and hopefully some games that resulted from Kickstarter might be out by 2014.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@KevinSig said: Hopefully, something I'm a bit more interested in. Heck, I'd glady throw into a Kickstarter if Telltale needed monies to get another season of Monkey Island.

It's not the funding that's the problem for a new season of Monkey Island, it's the management over at LucasArts. Telltale's been approaching them since they were founded in 2004 to try to license their properties, and it wasn't until Darrell Rodriguez became president in 2008 that they were finally able to do so, and from that we got Tales of Monkey Island.

Unfortunately, Darrell Rodriguez left LucasArts in 2010, and his replacement Paul Meegan wasn't open to licensing their adventure game properties.

They're now under new management since Paul Meegan left in 2012 and that same year LucasArts was purchased by Disney. No one knows whether or not LucasArts under Disney ownership will be open to licensing their adventure game properties.

• Ugh...I've given up hope for a second season of BTTF the game...

• Yeah i will admit its getting sorta worrying that we are still hoping for an announcement of Tales 2 of S&M 4 or Strong Bad season 2 but TWD Season 2 is announced before Ep 4.

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

Even though I was not a Fables fan until I heard Telltale was making a game, I would've thought that Telltale would return to classic point and click gameplay for Fables due to a lack of action on the scale of Walking Dead or Jurassic Park, but evidently Telltale is making Fables have gameplay similar to that of Walking Dead so honestly I don't know what Telltale's future intentions are.

They still had/have King's Quest coming, which is said to be a more difficult adventure series compared to Telltale/LucasArts point and click adventures, but Telltale is hesitant to say anything about King's Quest since they announced it back in February 2011 alongside Walking Dead, Fables, Puzzle Agent 2, and Hector. Perhaps the Jurassic Park delay and the extra time Telltale gave to Walking Dead occupied them until they weren't able to hold the King's Quest license or something, but who knows?

I'd like to see Telltale take a best-of-both-worlds approach and make adventure games closer to their earlier games alongside the drama adventure games like Walking Dead, but I think Telltale is misinterpreting the success of Walking Dead and assuming people liked the easy/casual puzzles instead of the fact that they told a story with relatable characters for Walking Dead, and because of this it sounds like Telltale wants to focus more on easier/casual adventure games that prioritize story over gameplay instead of treating them both equally.

• Telltale's next game is Fables. After that, they'll release Walking Dead 2.

After that their next game is supposed to be King's Quest, but after two years of silence it seems its fate is a little dubious. Hopefully it'll still happen, though.

What happens afterwards is anyone's guess.

Also, I would give up on a new Monkey Island game, by Telltale or any other developer. LucasArts isn't interested in the IP anymore, and really it's kind of amazing that Tales and the Special Editions happened at all.

• I'm guessing there will be something in the spring (April, May). Shoot, that's just around the corner!

• I want to hear what is going on with TTG's King's Quest before they announce anything new.

• A lot of us do, to be honest. Even if it's just acknowledgement that they're still doing something with it.

Add Comment