User Avatar Image

Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

So, remember that whole brouhaha with that woman doing a Kickstarter to make a series looking at how women are portrayed in video games that got a lot of people behaving really, really badly?

Yeah, the first episode of her series went live yesterday: Damsel in Distress.

I watched it yesterday.

I had to fight not to fall asleep.

I get what she's doing, but she's doing it in a very dull manner. Her voice is very monotone, her script is full of "impressive" words, the cuts between takes is jarring and doesn't flow well at all, and what she's saying is stretched out far too much - she basically takes 20 minutes to say stuff that could easily be compressed into 5.

Also, and I freely admit this is a very silly thing to focus on, but those earrings are ridiculous. I can't take her even remotely seriously when those things are dangling around. Ugh.

Wondered what you guys thought of it.

247 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Friends don't let friends read YouTube comments.

Also, that lady needs to throw away her thesaurus. I wish her luck though, as the issues do exist, even if I don't always agree with the assertions and conclusions of many feminists.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I'm curious if Persona 3 and or Persona 4 are in her roster of to-do. Especially 4.

I kinda want to see her reaction to this particular character:

naoto2.jpg

• I like what Anita is trying to do. I don't have any criticisms, really, since it's only the first installment and hopefully she'll go into more in-depth analysis. I do agree with her main points and the need to have this discussion.

Also, this has been floating around as a satire of some of the ridiculous statements made by people about Anita.. Even if people don't agree with her, some of the comments and attackshave been quite depressing. It's crazy how much controversy this has caused amongst people.

• Tell me about it. The reaction to her video shows in no uncertain terms that sexism is still rampant in society. Because regardless of how things appear on the surface, the Internet is where people really say what they think because they can do so with few repercussions. And knowing that... that is what people really think... it's depressing to the extent that I find myself contemplating severe violence against innocent punching bags.

• Not the punching bags!

But yes, much of the backlash against Anita only confirms what she's saying (and many of us know). I don't understand the logic decrying her claims of sexism in games by hurling pejorative sexist attacks at her.

Part of me thinks most of those negative comments are coming from the same people who spew racist/homophobic comments over places like XBox love. Most of them dumb teenagers. But you never know.

Quite frankly I'm depressed that we even need to have this discussion.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@inm8#2 said: Not the punching bags!

But yes, much of the backlash against Anita only confirms what she's saying (and many of us know). I don't understand the logic decrying her claims of sexism in games by hurling pejorative sexist attacks at her.

Part of me thinks most of those negative comments are coming from the same people who spew racist/homophobic comments over places like XBox love. Most of them dumb teenagers. But you never know.

In the meantime, comments on the video are disabled. Well, that was the only possible decision. I tend to see us in a halfway enlightened age where the wise path is clear, yet still hard to follow with our backpack full of ugly history. Having seen those YouTube commenters does break my heart. It is as if the scum of the world gathers right there. But it does bring me to watching Sarkeesian's series more intently and with less cynicism. That way, I'll eventually give those youtube commenters a spanking.

And that has totally nothing to do with an outdated male misogynist chivalry that I might or might not pursue. :)

• I am watching this right now and really wonder: Why did she need money for this again?
    I know a lot of Youtubers that produce better videos free of charge.

• @der_ketzer said: I am watching this right now and really wonder: Why did she need money for this again?
    I know a lot of Youtubers that produce better videos free of charge.

From the Kickstarter page:
    Your support will go towards production costs, equipment, games and downloadable content.
    And from the Kickstarter video, which she was nice enough to provide the transcript to (despite the typos!):
    As you might imagine, this project requires an[d!] enormous amount of research. Because I’m not just looking at a handful o[f] games, or just the worst offenders, but at hundreds of games and at hundreds of different characters across all genres. This is an incredibly ambitious project because of the scope and scale of the research and production involved, so please donate any amount you can to bring this series to life.

Honestly though, I'm not yet seeing where the money's really gone.

EDIT: Oh wait - here it is.

7619451560_2371b4cffb_z.jpg

I assume that stack of Wii games she's leaning on indicates there's even more behind the XBox ones.
    Money well spent. :rolleyes:

• I don't have sound on this computer, but she picks on Popeye?

Aw, man. I love Olive Oyl. Sure, she's pretty much just a damsel in distress in the cartoons, but the non-condensed version is a straight-up feminist portrayal.

Besides, once you shoot up an entire gang of cowboy outlaws, your "damsel in distress" status is pretty much void.
    (and it wasn't followed by a ton of shock over a woman standing her ground, which has got to be the only thing more annoying than just plain helpless)

• If you don't have sound, then there's no point in watching the video. It's almost entirely audio-based.

Basically, she uses Popeye as an early example of having a damsel in distress. Olive Oyl, in those early cartoons, was exactly that, hence the show being used as an example.

Add Comment