User Avatar Image

Epic, big budget adventure game based on the Bible?

posted by MtnPeak on - last edited - Viewed by 470 users

I think something like this could be pretty cool. It could do great business.

Have there been any adventure games like this before?

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Probably not. Adventure gamers are dicks about proper continuity.

• @Johro said: Probably not. Adventure gamers are dicks about proper continuity.

Got it, har har, your comment was just a slam on the Bible.

Anyway, I think there are SO many great stories in the Bible that would make for engaging, interactive adventures. Seems like such an untapped source of material for new games.

I'm not talking about an evangelizing game.

• Slam or not, games based on the bible have been made before... to complete and utter failure. It has remained untapped by mainstream developers because of this. There just really isn't a strong enough market to warrant investing millions of dollars into it.

• Which games? I have never heard of any adventure games based on the Bible.

Right now one of the highest rated tv shows in America is a documentary series based on the Bible. It beat American Idol. Also, take a look at movies like Passion of the Christ. Made hundreds of millions. And the Dreamworks movie Prince of Egypt was a hit, no?

As for what I consider "big budget", I guess I just mean something with cross-platform support, full voice overs, beautiful art, etc. I'm not talking about a "Call of Duty" level budget.

• Games in general.
    Never mind that adventure games are a niche of their own, now this would alienate 66% of the world as well. Go and write a letter to every developer. I'm not going to make fun of you for it, or stop you. I'm just saying there is a reason it is untapped.

Just to be clear: I don't hate the bible, and yes, I've read it. I'm rather indifferent to it.

• I think it'd be awesome. The Lord of the rings adventure games were pretty awesome. Why not a bible adventure? A lot of nice fantasy stories.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MtnPeak said: Which games? I have never heard of any adventure games based on the Bible.

There have been many games that use the bible for inspiration (usually for artifacts like the cup from the last supper [the Holy Grail]). I only know of one that is based on an actual passage from the bible, and that's Heaven (which is about Heaven as described in the book of Revelation).

I think the problem with the games that have been released which are actually based on bible stories isn't that people won't buy them, but that most of them haven't been very good (the Wisdom Tree games come to mind).

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Hey, Noah's Super Ark 3D was awesome and you know it.

Also, these should be relevant - The Angry Video Game Nerd's videos about Bible Games.
    The first, the second and the recent third. Enjoy!

• @Darth Marsden said: Hey, Noah's Super Ark 3D was awesome and you know it.

Funny yes, but I'd rather kill nazis than "use a slingshot to shoot sleep-inducing food at angry attacking animals, mostly goats, in order to render them unconscious".

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

One of these days, people will learn to take comments like that with a pinch of salt.

...one day.

Add Comment